• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 435 76.0%

• Total voters

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I really wonder how expensive Dolby and DTX licensing would be.
A device like the Flex HT with Dolby Atmos upmixing (and a few more channels and Dirac Bass control) would really be a game changer.

Chester

Has anyone bought one of these in the UK? I can’t seem to find them stocked anywhere.

Last edited:

USER

Forum Donor
interestingly enough, the Sofabaton U2 universal remote has a SHD profile pre-made where the default power on/off doesn't work but the colored buttons get sources assigned (only using 3 atm, the others are disabled on the Flex itself so 1 of the colored buttons is left unassigned)

View attachment 290359
That was me who got them to add the functions. However, they are based on an older model of the SHD, before it got some remote updates. I wonder if asking them to revise it would change anything.

dogmamann

Can this be used as a preamp for a power amp or do I need another preamp?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Can this be used as a preamp for a power amp or do I need another preamp?
Yes, it can be used as pre amp. With the FLEX (RCA) or the FLEX TRS you get 1 pair of analog inputs, USB, Bluetooth and digital inputs (Toslink and SPDIF) and 4 x independent outputs.

Hayabusa

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
The FLEX is the most versatile DSP from miniDSP.

mike70

i use it as preamp ... one of the best buys i made in audio

kurosawa

Two questions:
1) will the Minidsp Flex work with floorstanding speakers (Jmlabs Electra 946) without sub integration (I do not have any accoustic absorbers in my living room)?
2) will the Minidsp (digital) Flex apply its dsp if you output the signal digitally to another dac?

Joffy1780

Two questions:
1) will the Minidsp Flex work with floorstanding speakers (Jmlabs Electra 946) without sub integration (I do not have any accoustic absorbers in my living room)?
2) will the Minidsp (digital) Flex apply its dsp if you output the signal digitally to another dac?
Yes to both.

kurosawa

Yes to both.
Thanks. I forgot to mention that I do not have active speakers. I am opting for the DSP Flex digital because I have a turntable. And I would like to connect the TT to the Flex digital so I can use the Dsp of the Meier Audio Cordia Soul. So the Flex (digital) can be used as an AD converter.
Will I also have the advantage to use Dirac Live in my situation (without active speakers)?
I am new to the Minidsp stuff.
I have also checked out the Minidsp Shd studio but unfortunately it does not have and AD converter. And the Minidsp SHD is a bit expensive (since I already have a good dac and a streamer).

Strobilus

Hi all, a short home theatre question.

I’m using a balanced Minidsp Flex in a stereo configuration with subwoofer and Dirac. After some testing and reading I have understood that simplest way to incorporate the flex and current speakers is to run a pre out front/left from HT receiver to flex input with down mixed Center and subwoofer (4.0 system). However as I’m using balanced, a suitable budget HT processor/receiver is quite hard.

My question is then, with the “less optimal measured adc” single ended rca signal to balanced input - is this a notable issue for home theatre use? Or should I try to keep a lookout for a suitable receiver with balanced pre outs? Main usage of HT would be movies/series and games but never music.

I have tested with a old Marantz HT receiver with rca out, however it is more of a paper weight in usage and sound quality wise.

Thanks!

mike70

with rca to balanced inputs in Flex you go from 105dB SINAD (something like that) to 90dB SINAD (cd quality, more or less)

so ... i don't think you'll have a problem at all.

kurosawa

Thanks. I forgot to mention that I do not have active speakers. I am opting for the DSP Flex digital because I have a turntable. And I would like to connect the TT to the Flex digital so I can use the Dsp of the Meier Audio Cordia Soul. So the Flex (digital) can be used as an AD converter.
Will I also have the advantage to use Dirac Live in my situation (without active speakers)?
I am new to the Minidsp stuff.
I have also checked out the Minidsp Shd studio but unfortunately it does not have and AD converter. And the Minidsp SHD is a bit expensive (since I already have a good dac and a streamer).
I have ordered a Minidsp flex digital. I believe it should be possible to import Autoeq headphone profiles (as .txt) into the Minidsp?

madrac

Looking to add either a Flex or the SHD into my 2 channel set-up, primarily to integrate subs with mains & eq bass. System does include a turntable (primary source), Oppo 103D for CDs, and Cambridge Audio CXNv2 streamer.

Based on the review, the Flex looks like it should work fine. Any benefits of spending the additional for the SHD (according to miniDSP, better DACs and analog circuitry plus better I/O selection)? I don't need the streaming function on the SHD and am undecided about using DIRAC (vs. REW for sub EQ). DIRAC could always be added to the FLEX (although at a lower sample rate).

Leaning towards the Flex as I'm not sure how distinguishable the different DACs/circuitry is. The better I/O selection is of some interest in case I move to a balanced preamp.

Anyone try both? Thoughts?

deercreekaudio

Dealer
Looking to add either a Flex or the SHD into my 2 channel set-up, primarily to integrate subs with mains & eq bass. System does include a turntable (primary source), Oppo 103D for CDs, and Cambridge Audio CXNv2 streamer.

Based on the review, the Flex looks like it should work fine. Any benefits of spending the additional for the SHD (according to miniDSP, better DACs and analog circuitry plus better I/O selection)? I don't need the streaming function on the SHD and am undecided about using DIRAC (vs. REW for sub EQ). DIRAC could always be added to the FLEX (although at a lower sample rate).

Leaning towards the Flex as I'm not sure how distinguishable the different DACs/circuitry is. The better I/O selection is of some interest in case I move to a balanced preamp.

Anyone try both? Thoughts?
@ madrac - Can you clarify what you mean by " The better I/O selection is of some interest in case I move to a balanced preamp. "

Top Bottom