• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 436 76.0%

• Total voters

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My avr allows me to use my front channels with a seperate amp. Therefore couldn't I use the Flex in that capacity by say running my audio thru the USB? It's only recently that affordable avrs have Dirac. I figured I could listen to my high res pc flac using this thing. My avr downsamples to 48hz.

A Flex running Dirac Live would also downsample to 48 kHz.

Edit: and I assume you meant 48 kHz there not 48 Hz! Just a factor of 1000 difference :).

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
minidsp has remote learning option, look into the manual, there should be instructions, how/what you want minidsp to learn..
They have removed that feature in the Flex.:facepalm:

It doesn't make much sense for reasonably priced TT, but once you start to get north of $1.5K...I feel like all of the meaningful mechanical upgrades that can be done are done and all that's left is the cartridge which might as well be fed to an ADC. It's already trying to magnify a very tiny signal, so might as well use the digital domain to translate that as well.
Cartridge? Where we are going we don't need cartridges: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_turntable
It's a costly solution and doesn't fix records inherent limitations. I would say get a CD player to solve it.

Bachemar

Forum Donor
Is there any significant latency that would cause lip syncing issues with video?
There is about 25-30ms latency in the MiniDSP 2x4HD. I’m assuming the Flex would be the same. For 2 channel (or 2.1) set up, you might not notice the audio sync delay. However this might be an issue in a multi channel set up. You could potentially seat the Flex between the receiver and the front LR speakers (presumably for Dirac) with the other speakers connected directly to the receiver. In this case, the receiver will need to time align the other channels by adding about 25 feet of distance in addition to the actual speaker distance to each of the other channels. Many consumer receivers have a max speaker distance setting of 25 ft, which might be an issue.

Ultrasonic

holbob

They have removed that feature in the Flex.:facepalm:

Cartridge? Where we are going we don't need cartridges: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_turntable
It's a costly solution and doesn't fix records inherent limitations. I would say get a CD player to solve it.
Such a shame they removed the remote learning. There's no way I can upgrade to a flex from my DDRC-24 without it. My 3 daughters and wife are less caring then 30db of SINAD than I am!

mike70

Such a shame they removed the remote learning. There's no way I can upgrade to a flex from my DDRC-24 without it. My 3 daughters and wife are less caring then 30db of SINAD than I am!

LOL ... maybe you can use an universal remote with learning functions.

Ultrasonic

According to the Flex manual, remote learning is indeed supported.

If you download the latest (1.0) version of the manual you'll see that this has been removed, as noted in the change log at the start of the document.

rvsixer

If you download the latest (1.0) version of the manual you'll see that this has been removed, as noted in the change log at the start of the document.
Wow. I opened a miniDSP support ticket on this subject a few weeks ago, and they said it was supported :facepalm: . At least you can still manually program third party remotes.

Last edited:

Ultrasonic

Wow. I opened a miniDSP support ticket on this subject a few weeks ago, and they said it was supported :facepalm:
Note the manual now provides remote codes to be manually entered on a programmable remote instead.

holbob

LOL ... maybe you can use an universal remote with learning functions.
I use the harmony app (WiFi died on remote a while back). You have to input the DDRC-24 as a different device (I have it as a Sony TV), then remote learn the DDRC-24 functions as commands on the device you have it inputted as. Lose all that and the amount of earache I receive will drown out the SINAD improvement :facepalm:

holbob

Note the manual now provides remote codes to be manually entered on a programmable remote instead.
Looks like I have to read the manual then. Thanks.

mike70

I use the harmony app (WiFi died on remote a while back). You have to input the DDRC-24 as a different device (I have it as a Sony TV), then remote learn the DDRC-24 functions as commands on the device you have it inputted as. Lose all that and the amount of earache I receive will drown out the SINAD improvement :facepalm:

"SIN ... what? This fuc.... thing doesn't work"
:)

Ultrasonic

How would this the Minidsp Flex
compare to the D1SE

They aren't really comparable products. The VMV D1e is just a DAC, not a 2-input, 4-output DSP unit (with optional Dirac Live functionality). It depends what you're looking for.

Last edited:

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor

I am also using a Logitech Harmony hub and owned a ddrc-24 prior moving to the Flex.
IR learning on the Flex was partially working thus I contacted with minidsp about it, as I was a regression for me.
While they seem to stick with the IR learning removal (justified by the increased amount of sources in the flex series compared to 2x4hd), they told me that they were in touch with Logitech and that the Flex model and its commands would be added soon to Logitech database.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Always a shame when functionality gets lost.

I was thinking of getting a infrared emitter diode for the RaspberryPi, i could replace all my remotes (7?) with a webpage with plenty of buttons or something.

testp

Always a shame when functionality gets lost.

I was thinking of getting a infrared emitter diode for the RaspberryPi, i could replace all my remotes (7?) with a webpage with plenty of buttons or something.
but...imagine now getting hacked, all those buttons up for crabs.. disco!!

Top Bottom