• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 435 76.0%

• Total voters

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why is this thing cathegorized as AV processor? It’s just a DAC+DSP.

I must agree, AV kind of implies 5.1 minimal? AC3/DTS.. etc.

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No USB input? Can't be used as a USB DAC with extras?
It has a USB input, it’s marked “audio and control” on the back panel picture in this review

Blew

If it had MQA support then it'd be perfect. There aren't many options for DSP + MQA sadly.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have purchased the MiniDSP since release and it has been quite the pleasure to use.

The rotary encoder (or knob) is quite handy and you can pretty much control everything from preset to input to simply muting the device.

I’m a bit concerned about multi-tone and IMD performance, it looks surprisingly weird since digital processing is in floating 32bits, i have no idea where the 16 bit limitation is happening.

The biggest and most important difference this product makes is how silent it is, as long as you pair it with a decent amplifier you will never hear hiss again.

Last edited:

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
I'm sorry to ask, but can someone please explain the DSP functionality to me and why I would need it? Does it do similar things as Dirac?

RndmLstner

For purposes of some functionality, is this basically the minidsp SHD without the streamer (if you add the Dirac license; the SHD includes the Dirac)? Whereas the minidsp SHD studio is the SHD without the preamp/analog i/o?

As to expanded functionality, is it essentially an upgraded version of miniDSP 2x4HD that provides Dirac (as an option)?

I understand it has additional uses beyond what the SHD/Studio offer (thus my question as to how it relates to the 2x4) but from a basic end-users perspective I'm looking for clarity on its use. I did read the web page and elsewhere. A few comments on other forums also suggest a bit of confusion as to where this product fits vs minidsp's similar offerings?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For purposes of some functionality, is this basically the minidsp SHD without the streamer (if you add the Dirac license; the SHD includes the Dirac)? Whereas the minidsp SHD studio is the SHD without the preamp/analog i/o?

As to expanded functionality, is it essentially an upgraded version of miniDSP 2x4HD that provides Dirac (as an option)?

I understand it has additional uses beyond what the SHD/Studio offer but from a basic end-users perspective I'm looking for clarity on its use. I did read the web page. A few comments on other forums also suggest a bit of confusion as to where this product fits vs minidsp's similar offerings?
Yeah you’re more or less on point. The Flex also has Bluetooth which is the highlight of the device honestly.

Newman

Major Contributor
It has a USB input, it’s marked “audio and control” on the back panel picture in this review
Excellent!

My previous MiniDSP gear with USB on the back was for control only. It was a pain.

Blew

Well that's because MQA is terrible for DSP. It's one of the main reasons a lot of people are against it.
It's only terrible because not many applications support both DSP and MQA like Roon does. It would be fairly simple to do in a DSP + DAC such as this.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
While the performance is good in general, I'm disappointed by the multitone performance.

Also this doesn't compete with AV processors. Because well....it doesn't support the V part of that and for the A part it doesn't support the codecs.

Top Bottom