• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Matrix Audio mini-i 4 Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 26.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 106 56.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 21 11.2%

• Total voters

morillon

Major Contributor
He states this pretty clearly in the review...
indeed but it would be good to observe to make things clear and possibly point out the measurement in the same context as the previous measurements...in streamer..
it could be misunderstood
differentiate as you do what is done in streaming...or on the num or adc inputs
in any case if there is a dlpp etc function on these num inputs you should take the opportunity to test it... especially if you come across such results (would be interesting to observe in these conditions not just a jtest but a multitone ap for example)
ps it's still very funny to talk like this about dlpp concerns-adjustments about jitter which doesn't exist..should be a non-subject...it's quite grandiose..hihi

Last edited:

ABE43

Agreed. If they fix them, I will revise the review conclusion.

Amir, do you plan to retain the unit for a period of time in case there are updates to resolve the bugs? This checks off all the inputs I desire so I'm curious to know if/when the problems are addressed and to what degree. Thanks.

Reactions: pdb

Sokel

Master Contributor
I don't think there is actually... this is using ES9039Q2M, however there is no note in either manual about DPLL user settings;

JSmith
It would be strange not to.
Ian's Canada controller (which can be used with sabre DACs,I use it for Tone ) exposes DPLL settings for both PCM and DSD (separately) ,I would expect that any DAC using sabre DACs to do the same.

Thanks Amir!

daniboun

Major Contributor
It is barely better than the Mini Pro 3 that Amir recommended... I imagine that we have to consider the year of the test)

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
More than good enough performance and very appealing features; HDMI and analogue in.

I'm hopeful that a firmware update will sort those glitches.

Voted it down to 'fine' for the lack of a physical volume control. This would be used as a preamp so that's something I consider essential ... even if it's really only a placebo!

Almost perfect :)

morillon

Major Contributor
It is barely better than the Mini Pro 3 that Amir recommended... I imagine that we have to consider the year of the test)

of course it is specified for jtest only on num input in the case of this new one....but typically it can be confusing, a jtest measurement is presented in streaming function on the old one..and not that on the new one...just that m9n about
;-)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
could you recall the exact conditions, here with a streamer, of this jitter measurement? ...
As I noted, I could not test the streaming part. But I am pretty sure the results will be similar as this is internal interference. It has nothing to do with the source as both USB and Toslink had the same issue.

delta76

Major Contributor
Just a kind reminder that don't buy and expect bugs will be fixed - in a timely manner. that applies to most manufacturers, but even more so to manufacturers with no track records.
wait until Amir tested a "fixed" version. that might never happen, but you still have plenty to choose from

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, do you plan to retain the unit for a period of time in case there are updates to resolve the bugs? This checks off all the inputs I desire so I'm curious to know if/when the problems are addressed and to what degree. Thanks.
Yes.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even if it performed the same, what I would have expected from @MatrixAudio is a better support and a flawless product when it comes to features. Seems like we're not quite there yet.

I had this Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 for about two years. They did tell that they could (will?) add volume acceleration by firmware. The volume control was the slowest I ever experienced and it really needed this update. Update that just never came. Never ever. When I asked them back here, they just went silent. Very disappointing when you spent 1k for one of their products. Now this one is discontinued, and would probably not be supported anymore, barely three years after its release.

sorry..I don't understand...why not do a jtest streaming test?
C'mon @morillon .... Just read the review! :facepalm:

Last edited:

capdec

I bought the mini i-4 last July and decided to keep my Oppo BDP-105 out of convenience. The mini i-4 sounds and looks great. Its for sale if anyone here is interested!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If only WiiM had a version with HDMI Arc and USB out, it would compete here very nicely.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Finally ARC.
How mush longer do we have to wait till this gets standard on most DACs.

tk21

Seems like an excellent value to me. Compare to Matrix Audio's own Element X2 at more than 4x the price of the Mini-I Pro 4. Or compare to the BS Node, for about $200 cheaper but with no LCD front panel or XLR out. Those alternatives already are Roon-ready, but it must be only a matter of time before the Mini-I 4 is, too.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tough crowd..

This looks to me as a great product for those looking for a transparent 2-ch DAC/Preamp... and a streamer...

Peace.

Top Bottom