• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

Erici

Forum Donor
Looking at ML website. Both units come with ARC? I am using a minidsp with my Denon x3500h for subwoofer duty. The Denon has audessy x32 however I do not like how it eq's the my r5's. Is ARC better vs Audessy?
I have the x3500h also and use the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app and it works very well for me. It costs $20 from Google or Apple and gives you much more control than standard Audyssey. I'd recommend trying it before you buy more hardware.

Edit: Added Denon link

Last edited:

dr0ss

poor and unfortunate man's DTS Wiim Amp substitute
The use case I imagine for the amp version is adding some passive speakers and sub to the thing and using it instead of a stereo soundbar for TV viewing.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The use case I imagine for the amp version is adding some passive speakers and sub to the thing and using it instead of a stereo soundbar for TV viewing.
The amp version has only a stereo RCA input (plus Play-Fi Streaming), so it will work, but no direct Toslink for TV in. The Unison preamp version has Toslink.

I think Paradigm was looking more at simple 2 channel systems using bookshelf speakers or inwalls, perhaps with a sub. You can set up multi-room pretty easily. Because Play-Fi and ARC are a bit of a hassle, initial setup takes some work, but daily use is pretty simple....so perhaps good for simple installer systems.

Having owned both the PW-Link and PW-Amp, I think the quality is fine for single room audio, with wireless multi-room options. The sophisticated room EQ is likely to make a more positive impact than the borderline amp specs are negative. But, if it was very successful they would not be closing it out so cheap.

dr0ss

The amp version has only a stereo RCA input (plus Play-Fi Streaming), so it will work, but no direct Toslink for TV in. The Unison preamp version has Toslink.

I think Paradigm was looking more at simple 2 channel systems using bookshelf speakers or inwalls, perhaps with a sub. You can set up multi-room pretty easily. Because Play-Fi and ARC are a bit of a hassle, initial setup takes some work, but daily use is pretty simple....so perhaps good for simple installer systems.

Having owned both the PW-Link and PW-Amp, I think the quality is fine for single room audio, with wireless multi-room options. The sophisticated room EQ is likely to make a more positive impact than the borderline amp specs are negative. But, if it was very successful they would not be closing it out so cheap.
If the TV doesn't have RCA (or 3.5") outputs it likely has bluetooth, and you can add a dongle to the amp.

I have no problem with RCA on analogue devices. Unfortunately, the way this device works with RCA is apparently RCA->ADC->processing->DAC->RCA. I guess that's unavoidable with room correction, but that makes it vulnerable to bitrate limits.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Black Friday / Cyber Monday sales might be over, but there's some good ones out there for used stuff. I research for my business and blog, but can't buy everything :) Here's the current standouts (mostly used, a couple of new condition though).

JDS Labs Atom+ Amp/DAC Stack $122.17 used

Audeze LCD-GX $499

Audeze LCD-XC $745

HifiMan HE6se V2 $479

Focal UTOPIA 2020 plus stand and upgraded cable $1875

Grado SR325 headphones $150

Topping A90d Discrete $450

SMSL DO400 Full Balanced DAC Headphone Amp $399

SMSL M500 MKII $225

SMSL AO200 Digital Power Amplifier $139

SMSL DO200 MKII $289

Sony IER-Z1R Signature Series in-Ear Headphones $1396

TOPPING DX5 Lite Desktop DAC/Amp $262

KHADAS Tone2 Pro $145

SMc

Martin Logan Forte and Unison:

Discussions of the Paradigm-badged versions here:
The MartinLogan webpages appear to have been removed. Paradigm has the Link even cheaper at $87.50, but don't sell directly as far as I can tell. Is there an online source I've missed?

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The MartinLogan webpages appear to have been removed. Paradigm has the Link even cheaper at $87.50, but don't sell directly as far as I can tell. Is there an online source I've missed?
Not likely, I'm pretty sure MartinLogan has the last stock, Paradigm has not been available for quite a while.

SlickDeals had a very popular thread on this Deal; ML probably oversold.
Best bet would be to check there again a few times.

I hope the SD buyers checked the PW-Link/Amp reviews here to see what they are getting into. There will be a lot returned or eBayed in a month from buyers expecting an easy install.

Reactions: SMc

Tomtom

Adorama has Denon AVR-X3800H 9-Channel 8K Network AV Receiver on sale for $899 when you apply coupon code CYBEWE08 during checkout. Shipping is free.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Adorama has Denon AVR-X3800H 9-Channel 8K Network AV Receiver on sale for $899 when you apply coupon code CYBEWE08 during checkout. Shipping is free.
That's insane.

In Canada, X3800H go for CDN$2250 (which is US$1655 equivalent).
In other words, this is a 45% better deal then what Canadians are paying for.

In the states (crutchfield.com, bhphotovideo.com, bestbuy.com), goes for US$1700 right now, so this is 47% off other stores.

11.4 ch preamp
9 ch amp

"Audyssey MultEQ XT32" built in, with support for Dirac Live (already) and Dirac Live Bass Control (any day now...)
Since X3800H will support Dirac Live Bass Control (DLBC), it's a no-brainer IMO.
See my post that compares several AVRs/processors with support for DLBC.

Last edited:

Tomtom

That's insane.

In Canada, X3800H go for CDN$2250 (which is US$1655 equivalent).
In other words, this is a 45% better deal then what Canadians are paying for.

In the states (crutchfield.com, bhphotovideo.com, bestbuy.com), goes for US$1700 right now, so this is 47% off other stores.

11.4 ch preamp
9 ch amp

"Audyssey MultEQ XT32" built in, with support for Dirac Live (already) and Dirac Live Bass Control (any day now...)
Since X3800H will support Dirac Live Bass Control (DLBC), it's a no-brainer IMO.
See my post that compares several AVRs/processors with support for DLBC.
It's $100 cheaper than what I thought (and still think) was a great deal I got with a Adorama coupon code earlier this year. At that time the X3800H was $999. I've seen it for $999 a few times since then, but never as low as $899.

Fahzz

Forum Donor
What's the deal with Adorama? Do they sell new, used or gray market goods? Full manufacturer's warranty or something else?

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What's the deal with Adorama? Do they sell new, used or gray market goods? Full manufacturer's warranty or something else?
Adorama is generally an authorized seller of the goods they sell, I only say 'generally' because I'm too lazy to check for Denon but I would buy with comfort. They're legit and I buy a ton of camera gear and occasional music stuff from them.

Adorama and B&H are the two big NYC sellers that are trustworthy, there are a couple other NYC photo places that are more grey market / sketchier. If you have Amazon Prime you can often find Adorama deals there with the Prime 5% off too, although if the deal needs coupons (to get around lowest advertising price restrictions) you have to go to the main website.

B&H and Adorama also sell used / open box gear, but it's obvious if that's what you're buying. I can't remember if I've bought used gear from Adorama specifically (I know I have from B&H) but again I'd have no trust issues doing so.

Severian

Forum Donor
At $899 I couldn't resist any longer and ordered a X3800H - thanks for the heads up. It will be replacing a Yamaha TSR-7810 that I think was introduced in about 2016. The Yamaha has been quite solid but hopefully the Denon will offer a nice upgrade in room correction.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Are these guys real?

I've heard good things.

By the way, that's a factory refurbished unit (NOT NEW).

Denon Factory Refurbished
Buying a Denon Factory Refurbished product is a great way to get "as-new" products at a considerable savings. Every product has been thoroughly tested, repaired (if necessary), cleaned and otherwise renewed to original condition. Next it is repackaged with original accessories included. When you consider that a factory-renewed Denon product undergoes such close scrutiny for defects and workmanship, you might actually be buying something that is in many ways better than new. And for your piece of mind and protection, your purchase is covered by a full 1 year parts and labor warranty valid at any authorized Denon repair center (you can look-up locations online here or call 201-762-6665)

Denon, like all electronics manufactures, receives products returned for various reasons. In 2019 consumers returned 17 billion dollars in electronics globally, of which less than 5% were found to be defective! A study revealed 65 percent of respondents decide to return non-defective electronics early on, citing frustration and/or confusion during product unboxing/unpackaging, installation, and first use. Once a product has been opened it must be resold as refurbished and cannot be resold as new again. The history and reason why a product was returned is not provided to us, thus we cant provide any additional details regarding its past. All products are processed by Denon certified technicians, where they are fully tested, repaired (only if necessary), and retested again to ensure the highest quality control. Each unit must pass a complete battery of test before it can be titled a "Denon Factory Refurbished" product.

Most units are Cosmetically in Mint Condition (graded a 9 or higher on a scale of 1-10). Very minor signs of wear (light surface scuffs or minor scratches) may be present, although most units show little or no signs of any usage. We DO NOT sell products that are cosmetically damaged (cracked displays, broken knobs, heavy scratches, or physically abused) unless noted in the description. Unfortunately, we cannot provide actual photos of each unit or pick the best one for anyone, as they are all randomly chosen from our factory sealed boxes.

Fahzz

Forum Donor
So $899 for the 3800, $1000 for KEF R3's (non meta) and $200 for a WIIM pro plus? Nice system for around 2100 bucks. Add a sub and a Buckeye next Christmas, and a few surrounds/center for your birthday. Nice!

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Kef LS50 Wireless II in black for $1701 at Amazon

KEF LS50 Wireless II (Pair, Carbon Black)
https://a.co/d/geeo4nL
Nice find!

On us.kef.com they are US$2k/pair. So this deal is 15% better than the official price.
Also, this is the lowest price in the last year, according to Amazon history.

The only potential concern is it's not from Amazon directly, but a 3rd party.
But they seem to have positive ratings 92%, with 37 reviews.
1702170482077.png

But perhaps you can price match with another known reseller/dealer, to cover yourself? Just a thought.

UPDATE: Deal is gone now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom