• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bowers and Wilkins DB Subs

JimA84

I have contacted B&W to ask for specs regarding the actual peak and sustained dB output from their DB subwoofers and they have repeatedly stated that these are unavailable.

So if you're flat from 8.5 to 300 Hz at 65 dB then I guess that technically qualifies.

One would think that a company that charges so much would be a little more open as to their performance.

JL, for instance, have always been up front and Monoprice have also been with their Monolith line.

KEF are reasonably so, with verification from third parties.

I'd like to see more detailed information about the rolloff below 20 Hz for ELAC's
VARRO Dual Reference line. It looks like they roll off a bit too much below 20 Hz for my taste. I'd rather see a sharper roll off below 16 Hz than a shallower roll off starting at 20 Hz or above. Makes me wonder about the Fs of those rumpled drivers.

Indeed I'd like to see a lot more, and more objective info from most manufacturers.

These people expect us to spend thousands of dollars on their products often based on MBA generated marketing instead of solid engineering testing results.

In other words, YMMV, but the engineering test results should reflect the MINIMUM performance you can reasonably expect in your application.

Of the subwoofers I've looked at so far, the KEF KF92 comes closest to actually delivering the promised performance, modest as it is.

These are not going to knock your neighbors's paintings off the wall, but for music and some home theater they offer output of about 104 dB at 10 Hz
for a pair diagonal in a moderate room.

Obviously you can get bigger with JLs but given their limits, the KEFs perform pretty well so I would still consider them over most of the competition for a dual opposed design at that size and weight.

Remember, 450 pound subs might look cool until you have to deal with one in your listening room. I mean installing and moving it, not just the size or WAF, let alone the NAF (neighbors).

Otherwise, Wilson Audio's Thor's Hammer is your boy. Perhaps two in diagonal corners. Of course depending on your waistline you may have trouble finding space to sit between them.

I really don't exoect to be listening at much over 95 dB often, and the maximum output of my mains is likely about 100 dB, so the demonstrated ability of two KEF KF92s is adequate to meet my needs, and I can use the wireless option if I am concerned about hum and noise from the RCA unbalanced cables (I much prefer XLR). And the lack of a 12V trigger is minimal due to their low idle power consumption.

I even looked at the Monoprice 16 inch which is a true tone monster but it weighs around 200 pounds or so, is huge, vibrates and consumes so much power I would have to rewire the house.

I imagine two of those in diagonal corners would be awesome if you lived on a private island and had a large enough room to sit between them. :)

So far I had started thinking about an Onkyo TX-RZ70 and two KEF KF92s with a brace of Newform Research Last Dance speakers.

I've asked about and looked at nearly everything and am now looking at the Monoprice HTP-1 processor, two of their 5x200W amps to biamp all the 5.2 speakers and two KEF KF92s fed either wireless or with Jensen PC-2XR transformers.

That would nicely meet my needs for everything at reasonable cost.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You have a link to some third party testing of the KF92? Where are you?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have contacted B&W to ask for specs regarding the actual peak and sustained dB output from their DB subwoofers and they have repeatedly stated that these are unavailable.

So if you're flat from 8.5 to 300 Hz at 65 dB then I guess that technically qualifies.

One would think that a company that charges so much would be a little more open as to their performance.

JL, for instance, have always been up front and Monoprice have also been with their Monolith line.

KEF are reasonably so, with verification from third parties.

I'd like to see more detailed information about the rolloff below 20 Hz for ELAC's
VARRO Dual Reference line. It looks like they roll off a bit too much below 20 Hz for my taste. I'd rather see a sharper roll off below 16 Hz than a shallower roll off starting at 20 Hz or above. Makes me wonder about the Fs of those rumpled drivers.

Indeed I'd like to see a lot more, and more objective info from most manufacturers.

These people expect us to spend thousands of dollars on their products often based on MBA generated marketing instead of solid engineering testing results.

In other words, YMMV, but the engineering test results should reflect the MINIMUM performance you can reasonably expect in your application.

Of the subwoofers I've looked at so far, the KEF KF92 comes closest to actually delivering the promised performance, modest as it is.

These are not going to knock your neighbors's paintings off the wall, but for music and some home theater they offer output of about 104 dB at 10 Hz
for a pair diagonal in a moderate room.

Obviously you can get bigger with JLs but given their limits, the KEFs perform pretty well so I would still consider them over most of the competition for a dual opposed design at that size and weight.

Remember, 450 pound subs might look cool until you have to deal with one in your listening room. I mean installing and moving it, not just the size or WAF, let alone the NAF (neighbors).

Otherwise, Wilson Audio's Thor's Hammer is your boy. Perhaps two in diagonal corners. Of course depending on your waistline you may have trouble finding space to sit between them.

I really don't exoect to be listening at much over 95 dB often, and the maximum output of my mains is likely about 100 dB, so the demonstrated ability of two KEF KF92s is adequate to meet my needs, and I can use the wireless option if I am concerned about hum and noise from the RCA unbalanced cables (I much prefer XLR). And the lack of a 12V trigger is minimal due to their low idle power consumption.

I even looked at the Monoprice 16 inch which is a true tone monster but it weighs around 200 pounds or so, is huge, vibrates and consumes so much power I would have to rewire the house.

I imagine two of those in diagonal corners would be awesome if you lived on a private island and had a large enough room to sit between them. :)

So far I had started thinking about an Onkyo TX-RZ70 and two KEF KF92s with a brace of Newform Research Last Dance speakers.

I've asked about and looked at nearly everything and am now looking at the Monoprice HTP-1 processor, two of their 5x200W amps to biamp all the 5.2 speakers and two KEF KF92s fed either wireless or with Jensen PC-2XR transformers.

That would nicely meet my needs for everything at reasonable cost.
Did you see the following tests?

OP
J

JimA84

You have a link to some third party testing of the KF92? Where are you?
KEF KF92 Output 2 in room.jpg

Penelinfi

Audioholics tested the 610xp subwoofer a while ago. I guess the newer 10" cubes should perform a little better, but it gives you an idea of what's there. Basically, it was very good but volume limited especially at lower frequencies. Still seemed to do ok at the "95dB" test

It doesn't have 11Hz capabilities though

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Erin has tested it.
Yeah, and he proved KEF are very optimistic regarding the lowest frequency achievable at any decent level. A shame really, as KEF has largely been quite an honest manafacturer. I guess they all do it, but there should be tighter regulations I would argue where you can only market lowest frequency as the -3dB point.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, and he proved KEF are very optimistic regarding the lowest frequency achievable at any decent level. A shame really, as KEF has largely been quite an honest manafacturer. I guess they all do it, but there should be tighter regulations I would argue where you can only market lowest frequency as the -3dB point.
Then again it's fairly common place....to assume the brand's spec without spl information is particularly meaningful at higher let alone max spl....not so much. Do they provide such info for their speakers?

OP
J

JimA84

Then again it's fairly common place....to assume the brand's spec without spl information is particularly meaningful at higher let alone max spl....not so much. Do they provide such info for their speakers?
What I find disappointing is that B&W refuse to publish spl information when they cost nearly $6,000 USD. My impression from available sources is around 85 dB or so for their 12 inch model. I could buy a 10 inch from Monoprice that exceeds that for about $650.

I expect the B&W is probably at least a bit better, but it's impossible to tell with their published specs.

Last edited:

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@JimA84 Since you keep starting threads about subwoofers and struggle to find what you are looking for; Feels like our 10D subwoofer is roughly what you are looking for, have you checked it out? Small, relatively powerful and highpassed at 16hz so you will get your organ but not pushing the sub below that.

Example of in-room response:
index.php

OP
J

JimA84

If you bump that by nearly 20 dB. The actual in room measurement for two KEF KF92s I have seen is 104 dB at 10 Hz and about 100 dB at 16 Hz ( their equalization seems to peak around 10 Hz).

As I said, I don't want to shake the neighbor's home. I just want honest response down to 16 Hz to match the dB level of my main speakers.

Based on the specs I expect the KEFs to peak around 100 to 105 dB. The claimed max is 110 dB around 50 Hz. This is fine, as I don't expect to be actually listening at more than 85 or so at most. But I want the headroom to hit at least 100 to 105 for transients.

And I tend to respect anechoic measures because it's the minimum I can expect.

The ELAC DS1000 is a good example. The Fs of the drivers is obviously about 20 Hz and they drop off precipitously below that.

You can't fake Thiele/Small parameters.

The other serious parameter is weight. Even more than size.

I want something I can move without hiring a team of laborers.

I would be happy with Wilson Audio's Thor's Hammer but it weighs nearly as much as a Miata.

Or Monoprice's 16 inch Monolith monster, which is amazingly affordable. But around 200 pounds.

I also prefer dual opposed designs because I want the sound in my room, not playing for the neighbors or knocking items off the shelves.

So my demands are not merely extreme specs but getting a package that is convenient to manage.

This is the hard part and KEF seem to have gotten it mostly right with the KF92.

More so than anything else I have seen to date.

My only objection is the lack of XLR inputs, but I can buy a couple Jensen transformers to fix that without any silly uncalibrated volume controls.

The Rolls MB15b is very good at much lower cost except for the volume control.

I would rather pay more for the Jensen than introduce another volume control that I don't need or want.

I want what I want, not what a bunch of MBAs from Harvard Business School want to sell.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
If you bump that by nearly 20 dB. The actual in room measurement for two KEF KF92s I have seen is 104 dB at 10 Hz and about 100 dB at 16 Hz ( their equalization seems to peak around 10 Hz).

The graph isn't maximum SPL, it's just an example of the frequency response in-room.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What I find disappointing is that B&W refuse to publish spl information when they cost nearly $6,000 USD. My impression from available sources is around 85 dB or so for their 12 inch model. I could buy a 10 inch from Monoprice that exceeds that for about $650.

I expect the B&W is probably at least a bit better, but it's impossible to tell with their published specs.
Oh, I'd go with the Monolith subs over B&W subs....I'm not crazy about B&W at all, tho.

Top Bottom