• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Sointuva AWG Bookshelf Speaker Review by ERIN's Audio Corner

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Quite impressive measurements, the in-room response and how low they get.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious, why in Erin's review it looks like a dissimilar pair? I didn't dig into it, but seems odd or was that two views of a single speaker?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
This speaker thread should be closed, IMO, since this speaker is discontinued now. But I digress.

You guys are talking about the new AWG speaker.
That needs to be discussed on it's own thread.
Seeing how there's already a thread for the AWG speaker, let's fix that.

@AdamG
Can you please move the appropriate posts to this thread?

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I am surprised by the low EPDR: 1.5 ohm above 80 Hz, and must be around 1.5-2.0 from 60-80Hz. This is quite low where there is a lot of bass energy from kick drums and bass guitars etc. I am glad I am driving mine with 700W from the NCx500 modules!

Is EPDR even a thing with class D amps?

OP
Penelinfi

Penelinfi

well I believe Erin's suggestion is assuming that you don't have any EQ tools in place, using passives without extensive bass treatment in room pushing it that close to wall will have a huge bass boost, which can make it sound very boomy, Genelec on the other side have great dip switch presets which kind of mitigate the general bass boost trend, so both suggestions makes sense.

Personally I do agree that the March audio AWG is a budget end game speaker, pair it with a RME ADI or mini DSP and it can be so great to use in a normal room with minimal treatment. The only concerns if any is that the early batch connector air seal issue reported in a sample, and that the real wood construction vs wood movement in moisture swing, other than that I really can't think of any, really good job by Alan
If you're worried about timber wood, you can get it in Birch ply.
Many Australian speaker companies give the customer more customisation options, at least up to a point.

YSC

Major Contributor
If you're worried about timber wood, you can get it in Birch ply.
Many Australian speaker companies give the customer more customisation options, at least up to a point.
Yeah, or even MDF, you can see I am just trying to not pick about any issue with it

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
This speaker thread should be closed, IMO, since this speaker is discontinued now. But I digress.

You guys are talking about the new AWG speaker.
That needs to be discussed on it's own thread.
Seeing how there's already a thread for the AWG speaker, let's fix that.

@AdamG
Can you please move the appropriate posts to this thread?
Done. If I missed any please advise. Thanks for your help Sir.

YSC

Major Contributor
I somehow can't find it anymore, any one have the speaker in plywood and can show a bit on how they looked?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I somehow can't find it anymore, any one have the speaker in plywood and can show a bit on how they looked?
Like this maybe?

YSC

Major Contributor
Like this maybe?
I thought that was real wood? just wonder what the finish in plywood would look compared to the real wood, especially in the curved corners

OP
Penelinfi

Penelinfi

Uses previous model woofer. Cabinets would be the same. I guess they could be painted too
image007.jpg

OP
Penelinfi

Penelinfi

I noticed that they mention the W version of the driver on the website; previous version used the X version.
Would the lesser coil excursion make much difference in practice ?

Assuming it's not just a typo

YSC

Major Contributor
Uses previous model woofer. Cabinets would be the same. I guess they could be painted too View attachment 351761
These looked quite a lot worse than the real wood ones, the rounding showed the layers just don’t look right. Since nobody have reported wood movement issues yet if I ever buy one I’d likely go for hardwood then

Holmz

Major Contributor
Those Sointuvas look seriously great.

They sound pretty good too.
The bass was surprisingly good, and it is very easy to play them loud as the distortion is low.
And they have a surprisingly “quiet sound” that some good speakers seem to have… where one wants to turn up the volume, but the SPL meter and OSHA are saying “too much”, “stop”, “go back”.

These looked quite a lot worse than the real wood ones, the rounding showed the layers just don’t look right. Since nobody have reported wood movement issues yet if I ever buy one I’d likely go for hardwood then

We have some Aussy woods and while some of it moves during drying, it is pretty stable stuff. Most are considered hardwoods.
I demoed some Blizzard Thermo skis once with a bimetalic arraignment where they would arch up (more camber) more in warmer weather and lay flatter in colder temps.

Aussy wood, and many other hardwoods are stable, and not like green pine. Any humidity movement would be something that a seal would likely tolerate.

I think if the boxes were a lot bigger, and the pieces were thinner, then the chances of it cupping could be higher... but the pieces are thick compared to the length.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I also love the texture and veins in mine (Tasmanian Blackwood).

20240224_063409.jpg

YSC

Major Contributor
They sound pretty good too.
The bass was surprisingly good, and it is very easy to play them loud as the distortion is low.
And they have a surprisingly “quiet sound” that some good speakers seem to have… where one wants to turn up the volume, but the SPL meter and OSHA are saying “too much”, “stop”, “go back”.

We have some Aussy woods and while some of it moves during drying, it is pretty stable stuff. Most are considered hardwoods.
I demoed some Blizzard Thermo skis once with a bimetalic arraignment where they would arch up (more camber) more in warmer weather and lay flatter in colder temps.

Aussy wood, and many other hardwoods are stable, and not like green pine. Any humidity movement would be something that a seal would likely tolerate.

I think if the boxes were a lot bigger, and the pieces were thinner, then the chances of it cupping could be higher... but the pieces are thick compared to the length.
yea, I was like observing for any potential complains about wood separation, but seems it's all fine, will definitely go for one when funds and space is available

Top Bottom