• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Sointuva AWG Bookshelf Speaker Review by ERIN's Audio Corner

JAJDACT

As for comparing the Sointuva AWG to a much larger BMR Tower speakers, for which there is no Klippel data (Philharmonic), we have no idea how it actually performs.
Here ya go
HT-cea2034.png
HT-EIR.png
HT-THD.jpg
HT-Tower_Compression.jpg
HT-MD-rel.jpg
1706493898293.png

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw these, they are the HT Tower, not the BMR Tower. And the HT Tower does not reach as deep bass as the Sointuva AWG.
But I agree, better to compare the Ukkonen to those. But then it will be still more expensive.

JAJDACT

I saw these, they are the HT Tower, not the BMR Tower. And the HT Tower does not reach as deep bass as the Sointuva AWG.
But I agree, better to compare the Ukkonen to those. But then it will be still more expensive.
Oh I thought these were the ones @Rick Sykora and everyone was mentioning in comparison? Not the standard BMR towers.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As the BMR tower does not have Purifi midwoofers, was not including it. Agree it can be confusing as both Philharmonic towers have BMR drivers.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For the HT Tower no metrics are smooth, and it still has a flatter (brighter) sound power and in room response. Distortion is only marginally better through the mid range, but better at the lowest frequencies. As is compression. All to be expected for two woofers.

So for a large floorstander is it better than the Sointuva? It will play louder, but otherwise the Sointuva is more refined and smoother on all metrics.

JAJDACT

For the HT Tower no metrics are smooth, and it still has a flatter (brighter) sound power and in room response. Distortion is only marginally better through the mid range, but better at the lowest frequencies. As is compression. All to be expected for two woofers.

So for a large floorstander is it better than the Sointuva? It will play louder, but otherwise the Sointuva is more refined and smoother on all metrics.
Okay but I think the whole basis of comparison was for price to value for US consumers.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone from UK ordered a pair? I'm guessing import duty makes the price a lot higher sadly.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay but I think the whole basis of comparison was for price to value for US consumers.
Even if we ignore form factor and consider sound only for the same price.
Sointuva AWG: reaches way deeper, more refined, smoother on all metrics.
HT Tower: lower distortion at lower frequencies, plays louder.

Still Sointuva AWG wins imo.

mj30250

I think where the Sointuva AWG clearly "wins" is in bass extension. The HT tower was designed with subwoofer integration in mind and it picks up some additional sensitivity as a result. Otherwise, the metrics look smooth enough to me. There's also less of a directivity mismatch with the HT tower, but that's to be expected in a well-designed 3-way as compared to virtually any passive non-coaxial 2-way. Outside of extension, the biggest differences that I would expect to be audible are in dispersion. The HT tower is appreciably wider. Whether this is an advantage or a detriment will depend on listener preferences, room size, and speaker positioning. IMO, if I happened to be shopping these two speakers, it would largely come down to my bass and dispersion needs (and perhaps maximum SPL if these were to be used in a home theater). There's little to complain about with either speaker otherwise.

JAJDACT

Even if we ignore form factor and consider sound only for the same price.
Sointuva AWG: reaches way deeper, more refined, smoother on all metrics.
HT Tower: lower distortion at lower frequencies, plays louder.

Still Sointuva AWG wins imo.
Agree to disagree,I would like to hear both in person before I made the claim as to which is more refined. Between the two I would personally buy the BMR HT based on domestic support and value. I think personal preferences in dispersion characteristics would play a much bigger role than anything,based off the measurements of both. I wish I could demo them and compare.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe a meme can sum it up better lol.

dispersion.jpeg

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe a meme can sum it up better lol.

View attachment 352948

She is hearing it outside and no tears are shed. ;)

These are all great speakers and claims of superiority will be humbled depending on placement and content. Now I am getting fatigued! :D

JAJDACT

On a another forum Dennis stated that he deliberately shelved down the highs on the BMR HT because of the broad horizontal dispersion. It's pretty evident in the sound power and early reflections. I've heard bright speakers with narrow and wide dispersion. My experiences are what I try to base my opinions on,not generalizations.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Imo, from a purely technical perspective, the more interesting comparison would be March's tower versus the Philharmonic one.

Agree. The March tower blows away the March bookshelf in direct side by side comparison.
The wider dispersion of the BMR will suit some people better. I prefer it in the farfield, while narrow dispersion is perfect for the desktop.
If you like the D&D 8c sound, you will probably prefer the wider dispersion of the BMR to the March.
If you want to chase the least squiggly line....

I personally am not totally convinced that a wider dispersion well measuring speaker means listener fatigue???

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree. The March tower blows away the March bookshelf in direct side by side comparison.
The wider dispersion of the BMR will suit some people better. I prefer it in the farfield, while narrow dispersion is perfect for the desktop.
If you like the D&D 8c sound, you will probably prefer the wider dispersion of the BMR to the March.
If you want to chase the least squiggly line....

I personally am not totally convinced that a wider dispersion well measuring speaker means listener fatigue???

As I mentioned, we all get fatigued, but it may be for different reasons. I would trade higher sensitivity and more bass output for the time I am listening as opposed to a speaker that supposedly allows me to be less "fatigued". Anymore, am not sitting in LP for more than an album or two. If the speaker fatigues me while providing background music, would probably toss that speaker. Do not think that is the degree of problem we are discussing here.

wolframite

for desktop listening, is BMR Monitor or Sointuva better?
(assuming cost is not an issue)

For enjoying the dynamic range (so, reproduction of wide gamut of sounds) -- BMR Monitor's three-way construction should be better, in theory?

OP
Penelinfi

Penelinfi

for desktop listening, is BMR Monitor or Sointuva better?
(assuming cost is not an issue)

For enjoying the dynamic range (so, reproduction of wide gamut of sounds) -- BMR Monitor's three-way construction should be better, in theory?
Given the slightly better compression results and maybe deeper bass of Sointuva, maybe that. Do note that since you're closer , you likely won't reach as high compression anyway with each speaker.
Otherwise I'm not sure how much the wide or narrow dispersion matters if you are up close.
Both will need to be aligned properly to your ears as vertical dispersion is best on a small angle.
The Sointuva being smaller might also be in its favour.

March Audio is also planning more speaker models along with more electronic components.
A mini Sointuva would be cool. Not sure if it would be able to use the WG Satori however. Maybe just the regular Satori tweeter with 4" or 5.25" Purifi?

Top Bottom