• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Hypex Ncore Power Amplifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I think admin can check your IP address/geolocation against another user, as I have a suspicion as to who you might be. I could be wrong so I obviously wont say openly.

I can make my location look like anywhere with a VPN.

The "voice" here is very familiar. It's much more difficult to disguise that.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Certainly someone with a stone in their shoe. Probably a fervent acolyte of a particular product or forum.

We have many members who are active on other forums and the old mindsets of some are very obvious.

Last edited:
OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I can make my location look like anywhere with a VPN.

The "voice" here is very familiar. It's much more difficult to disguise that.
That is very true, but you have to remember to delete cookies and other things :)
Regardless its an obvious agenda so the poster has no credibility and people will not take him seriously.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Look on the bright side, at least the casing used by March Audio doesn't look like it is a risk of inflicting flesh wounds if touched and to date I've seen nothing to suggest their products are an electrocution hazard in normal use. Can't say that about all audio equipment.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Are you for real? Please dont take the piss.

The best thing to feed trolls is a starvation diet. I think there's an "ignore" button to take care of that automatically if you can't personally resist.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Problem is the thread has been bombed. Unfortunately it looks like censorship and conspiracy if you delete the offender.

I have modified the OP to appease the interloper and make crystal clear what the data is.

"All performance specs are currently Hypex sourced. Final product performance to soon to be confirmed and/or corrected with data from independent measurements."

Wombat

Master Contributor
I haven't had so much fun on a forum in years but it may be time to spare @MarchAudio from any further unfounded assault on his integrity by unreasonable posters.

Thomas, consider giving @Audionut a short holiday to see if this visit is a shit stirring 'oncer'. He is rigorously focussing on the two posts re the March Audio products and Alan's integrity. Alan is a respected member of this forum and should not be subjected to such an unsubstantiated attack by an unidentified and unknown quantity(newbie).

Some will see these threads on other forums and egos will unveil the poster. No use doing it if you keep it quiet amongst the fan club. Let's wait and see.

Last edited:
OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Going back to the transient V RMS power topic, from the admittedly small selection of tracks I looked at we had a minimum of 12dB difference in voltage levels between the "average" RMS and peak values. Thats a significant difference in required power levels. RMS power is quite low compared to peak. I will have to sit down and do the numbers.

Has anyone got a suggestion for a massively compressed track to try and see a worst case scenereo that minimises the difference?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Going back to the transient V RMS power topic, from the admittedly small selection of tracks I looked at we had a minimum of 12dB difference in voltage levels between the "average" RMS and peak values. Thats a significant difference in required power levels. RMS power is quite low compared to peak. I will have to sit down and do the numbers.

Has anyone got a suggestion for a massively compressed track to try and see a worst case scenereo that minimises the difference?
Anything on the 'Human' album by Rag 'n' Bone Man. Compressed to buggery.

S.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
So a bit of out loud thinking, never actually thought this through before. Excuse if my maths fails and please correct. Lets take a 12dB difference in voltage between pk and RMS.

If we take the 701 400w max output into 8ohms* the required output voltage to achieve this is about 56 volts?
So -12 dB is 14 volts?
so 14 Volts into 8 ohms is about 25 watts?

Sanity check please someone

*assuming non reactive purely resistive load

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So a bit of out loud thinking, never actually thought this through before. Excuse if my maths fails and please correct. Lets take a 12dB difference in voltage between pk and RMS.

If we take the 701 400w max output into 8ohms* the required output voltage to achieve this is about 56 volts?
So -12 dB is 14 volts?

The maths look right.

Krunok

Major Contributor

So -12 dB is 14 volts?

U*U/R=P, so yeah, 14V into 8 Ohms is 24,5 W. :)

Krunok

Major Contributor
So in that case Hypex have aimed for the right target, ie massive transient power output and less concerned about continuous.

And that is ok IMHO. 100W of continuous power is more than enough for home use assuming your speakers have "normal" sensitivity (say 87dB/1w/1m or so). Higher power figures are needed only for transients.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
And that is ok IMHO. 100W of continuous power is more than enough for home use assuming your speakers have "normal" sensitivity (say 87dB/1w/1m or so). Higher power figures are needed only for transients.

The interesting converse of this is that a nominally 100w continuous rated amp may never be able to achieve the required transient level with music if run at that level.

OP
March Audio

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

100 watts continuous would drive that 87dB speaker pair to about 107dB, 400 watts transient would be 113 dB. Most domestic speakers right at or beyond their limits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom