• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apollon Purifi vs Hypex

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
Deer Creek... ;)

Yeah that's why it shows in the product picture with the "DIY Logo" and then asks;

JSmith
I corrected the spelling on my post.

Every picture I had seen of the Amp was with the DIY logo. Mistakenly, I assumed the piece with the logo and the wavy bottom was something additional to attach to the front of the stock faceplate. Clearly, I was wrong. It is a replacement for the stock faceplate, and the stock faceplate also includes the wavy section, which looks better than just a plain flat plate I had envisioned.

JSmith

Master Contributor
It is a replacement for the stock faceplate, and the stock faceplate also includes the wavy section, which looks better than just a plain flat plate I had envisioned.
Yeah a shame they don't have one without the DIY logo and with the wavy design still.

JSmith

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
Yeah a shame they don't have one without the DIY logo and with the wavy design still.
It does indeed come with the wavy design, but without the DIY logo. I just did not know that when I ordered.

My mistake. I should have investigated further rather than jumping to an assumption based on inadequate research on my part.

Still, the engraved logo is nice, maybe not worth $85 to me since it sits in a cabinet with very dark glass I can barely see through, but it is does add to the aesthetics of the unit when the door is open.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I actually now have both Purifi 400 and Hypex NCx500 amps. I run them both on the highest db setting out of the Denon. Both sound great with Purifi having a bit less power as everyone says. My mains are 86 sensitivity so I'm using the Hypex there, with Purifi for center.
This will be an unpopular opinion, but I am returning the NCx500. There is just a different sound to Purifi for me with my speakers in my room.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have read commonly in the past that doubling down is something to look for in good amplifier design.
Argh. Search this forum, we’ve been through it. Most amps that advertise the full doubling are low-balling the 8 ohm figures. What matters is the power they deliver into your speaker. So if it is sufficient at your speaker impedance, you are fine.

dom_st

This will be an unpopular opinion, but I am returning the NCx500. There is just a different sound to Purifi for me with my speakers in my room.
What is your impression is the main difference between both ?

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is your impression is the main difference between both ?
All purely subjective of course. Purifi does have less power, but for me the music sounds better with it. I had the Purifi first, then decided to add the NCX500 for more power to my mains...and it sounds good. I listened for a week. Then I decided to switch back to the Purifi to see if I could tell a difference and it was an ah ha moment. Again, purely subjective, but for me I prefer my music with the Purifi.

zorox

One thing. 700w is peak power with the NxCore. 500w rms. Check VTV builders. They offer a nice array of buffers for the Hypex and others. Build Purify also.

Xcaliber

Has anybody order the regular non lux version of these Purifi amp from Apollon? How long did it take for Tibor to ship them? When i contacted him on email last week, and asked him usually how long does it take for them to ship out these amps, he told me they had the 1ET7040 in stock for immediate shipping on 3/24, okay cool...so I thought, so i placed my order for the regular case the same day. I avoid any Lux edition like a plague due to super long lead time since those custom stuff take forever. Now 5 days later and still no words from him, attempted to email him yesterday and the day before just to get an ETA, if there's a delay, at least give us some realistic expectation and don't lie to customer that they had them for immediate shipping, does "immediate" mean a week or a month to Apollon? The more I search and read about the purchasing experience, the more it seems like this is a trend from this company, ignoring client's email or simply not replying, and taking months on end to ship the product, how is this even acceptable? lol

Customer service seems to be at the bottom of their list, their business must be booming and too busy to respond to any customers? Should I file a dispute with Paypal and Credit card company for refund?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Patience is needed indeed. Answering emails and shipping promptly was never a strength there. But it's all worth it after finally receiving the amps IMO.

Xcaliber

Patience is needed indeed. Answering emails and shipping promptly was never a strength there. But it's all worth it after finally receiving the amps IMO.

I specifically asked him, how long it would take to ship out the regular edition if i place the order, it would have been fine if he tells me it would take a week, 2 weeks, or 3 weeks, at least give me an ETA so I could set a realistic expectation, but he said "in stock for immediate shipping", which seems to be a lie.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I may be naive but would assume a miscommunication like "in inventory, all parts are here, just need to assemble them and ship out". But yeah, I understand the frustration. Been there 3 times.

Xcaliber

I think they really should provide some ETA on their website, set some expectation for customer, if it takes a week to assemble and test the parts, and another week to ship, then state ETA is within 1~2 week for regular edition to be ship out. Lux would required significantly longer since it's customize, which is understandable, but leaving clients in the dark is not good. Fortunately, Tibor finally replied back and said it would be ship earlier next week so I guess at least there's some expectation finally.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anybody order the regular non lux version of these Purifi amp from Apollon? How long did it take for Tibor to ship them? When i contacted him on email last week, and asked him usually how long does it take for them to ship out these amps, he told me they had the 1ET7040 in stock for immediate shipping on 3/24, okay cool...so I thought, so i placed my order for the regular case the same day. I avoid any Lux edition like a plague due to super long lead time since those custom stuff take forever. Now 5 days later and still no words from him, attempted to email him yesterday and the day before just to get an ETA, if there's a delay, at least give us some realistic expectation and don't lie to customer that they had them for immediate shipping, does "immediate" mean a week or a month to Apollon? The more I search and read about the purchasing experience, the more it seems like this is a trend from this company, ignoring client's email or simply not replying, and taking months on end to ship the product, how is this even acceptable? lol

Customer service seems to be at the bottom of their list, their business must be booming and too busy to respond to any customers? Should I file a dispute with Paypal and Credit card company for refund?
That's the exact model that I bought and they shipped it out in maybe 2 to 3 days and then it took 2 to 3 days to get to San Francisco. It's a beautiful amplifier and the company is completely above board but it's probably the case that Tibor is doing a lot by himself.

Vhond

It's up to you. Or you're (very) patient or you cancel your order because of misleading shipping info. As a customer you're in your right.

delamelon

I'm in the same situation as you: asked on Thursday and he told me available.
I placed the order yesterday morning and no news.
on the other hand, it is also the Easter weekend....

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think we just need to remember this is a small business. Can't expect Amazon performance. You will be very happy when you receive the amplifier.

delamelon

i've contacted them by chat this morning:
"There is a Holiday in our country"
"We will be able to ship out your order this week"
"Please allow a few days for turnaround time for packaging and 48 hour testing"

:p

Top Bottom