• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz SA-10 Review (SACD Player & DAC)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 70 23.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 139 46.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 78 25.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 14 4.7%

• Total voters

nikosidis

The joy putting a disc into this thing is not deniable.
The looks are also fantastic.
People like to brag about things and they also like to think that what they have does something special.
At least it seams to do nothing wrong from the measurements.
I voted fine.

DWI

@aj625

I love Kit Kat bars. Lots of people do. Hershey have been making them in the USA under license for 50 years. They have one of the world's great catch phrases "Have a break, have a Kit Kat". It's sold as light chocolate snack, to go with a coffee or lunch, you can have 1, 2, 3 or 4 fingers. Who doesn't like a little bit of chocolate? Apparently, most Japanese.

In Southern Japan, however, marketing executives found Kit Kat popularity amongst students at exam time. The reason was because the name sounded like "kitto katsu", which means "you must overcome". So they were eating them for good luck. To the Japanese, "Have a break, have a Kit Kat" is meaningless, research showed the last thing they would do with 10 minutes spare is eat a chocolate bar.

This is quite an extreme example, but it just illustrates that sometimes even the manufacturer doesn't know what makes their product sell. As Nestle (who own Kit Kat) found, it is best to understand and feed (literally) ethnographic preferences rather than try and change them. It just won't happen.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I haven't tried the headphone output from this Marantz player, but many of their less expensive disc players have a very decent headphone output. I use the headphone output on my Marantz CD-5004 player all the time with HD-600 headphones.

There's a whole lot of BS around headphone amplifiers in general. Unless your headphones are diabolically inefficient or of such impedance extremes as to classify them as faulty, most onboard disc player headphone stages are absolutely 100% fine.

My old CD players use NE-5532s with a 100R source impedance and I've never wished for anything more with my various flat impedance AKGs. Sure, I can swing more from a standalone preamplifier H/P jack, but going deaf has never been high on my bucket list...

Your 5004 (if it's the same H/P as the 5003) uses a NJM-2068, buffered and current limited with a 150 source resistance and capacitively coupled. The dedicated "you must have a H/P amp" guys would look down their noses at both of us, but mostly, they have no idea, have never tested or measured anything and base all their 'knowledge' on internet group think sites.

In short: do what works for you.

aj625

@aj625

I love Kit Kat bars. Lots of people do. Hershey have been making them in the USA under license for 50 years. They have one of the world's great catch phrases "Have a break, have a Kit Kat". It's sold as light chocolate snack, to go with a coffee or lunch, you can have 1, 2, 3 or 4 fingers. Who doesn't like a little bit of chocolate? Apparently, most Japanese.

In Southern Japan, however, marketing executives found Kit Kat popularity amongst students at exam time. The reason was because the name sounded like "kitto katsu", which means "you must overcome". So they were eating them for good luck. To the Japanese, "Have a break, have a Kit Kat" is meaningless, research showed the last thing they would do with 10 minutes spare is eat a chocolate bar.

This is quite an extreme example, but it just illustrates that sometimes even the manufacturer doesn't know what makes their product sell. As Nestle (who own Kit Kat) found, it is best to understand and feed (literally) ethnographic preferences rather than try and change them. It just won't happen.
How does this relate to measurements ?

pma

Major Contributor
Correct. It's primary reason for existence is to play CDs and SACDs.

Unfortunately, its CD published specifications are most disappointing for 2022.

View attachment 192375
One of my favourite Sony players, which, when tested was considerably better than spec. In 1989, 33 years ago...

View attachment 192380
I understand, but I would want to see both unit tested by the same method on the same measuring system before making any conclusion. It is difficult or close to impossible to get THD+N better than -98dB for the 44.1/16bit system. In theory you get 6.02N + 1.76dB. That’s where the best players can get. Yes we can debate on the dither used or noise shaping used, however ….

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There is a lot of cheating going on. Gone are the times of reliable mechanics.
Marantz touted a "newly developed" SACD-M3 transport for the SA-10
but they simply called the the whole mech including the tray SACD-M3!
The core is an off the shelf drive from Toshiba that Marantz simply put on two heavy aluminium blocks.
This drive from Toshiba can be found in any SACD-Player and as far as I understand also DVD,
as wavelengths are the same.
Here are some pics from an SA-11 repair:

symphara

Thank you for the review!

I've actually seen and listened to this product on a number of occasions (somebody I know has one).

It sounds fine, it looks nice, it's overpriced (in my opinion) and the lack of analog multichannel output of course makes multichannel SACD playback impossible. Not everyone cares about that but multichannel is a core SACD feature.

This product isn't bad but it's primary thing is the "high cost thus high-end" satisfaction which is of course silly but real.

I'd be curious to see one of these new Reavon players tested, are they selling them in the US?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a lot of cheating going on. Gone are the times of reliable mechanics.
Marantz touted a "newly developed" SACD-M3 transport for the SA-10
but they simply called the the whole mech including the tray SACD-M3!
The core is an off the shelf drive from Toshiba that Marantz simply put on two heavy aluminium blocks.
This drive from Toshiba can be found in any SACD-Player and as far as I understand also DVD,
as wavelengths are the same.
Here are some pics from an SA-11 repair:
I'm surprised. For this expense I expected to see a linear drive sled assembly. Sony included that in high end CD players.

juliangst

The Marantz guys should join a Topping workshop :p
Why would they? I doubt that any of their customers give a f*** about measurements

aj625

Nothing wrong with the measurements on this player.
What is so special about measurements anyway, considering it's price tag ? People should buy it for the looks or weight or for brand name or for it's premium price tag ? In fact there is no point in spending so much for this level of measurements. Marantz should concentrate on improving the performance instead of making it heavier and bigger. I bet even a $700 chord mojo 2 will beat it for the sq and measured performance at 1/10th price.

juliangst

What is so special about measurements anyway, considering it's price tag ? People should buy it for the looks or weight or for brand name or for it's premium price tag ? In fact there is no point in spending so much for this level of measurements. Marantz should concentrate on improving the performance instead of making it heavier and bigger. I bet even a $700 chord mojo 2 will beat it for the sq and measured performance at 1/10th price.
Good measurements != good sound

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'm surprised. For this expense I expected to see a linear drive sled assembly. Sony included that in high end CD players.

I don't think anyone is making a linear motor laser sled, BSL spindle motor drive mech anymore. Those days are gone.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not irrelevant to me, and I'm clearly not alone because there are labels releasing music I want to buy but who don't make that music available via streaming services or digital download. The main one for me is Dutton Vocalion who issue a lot of extremely good recordings including lots of modern British/Anglosphere classical music. They issue hybrid SACDs, typically with 5.1 and stereo DSD and a stereo Red Book layer. They have a market with demand and they sell discs, not downloads or subscriptions. If you want what they have and don't want to wait several years until they allow it onto streaming/download/subscription then you have to buy the disc. And if you want the 5.1, not just the stereo then again - buy the SACD.

I'm 55 and so far have heard that CDs are extinct, vinyl is extinct, DVD is extinct, Blu-ray is extinct, SACD is extinct, wired headphones are extinct, paper books are extinct, newspapers are extinct etc. etc. They were right about audio cassettes and 8-track cartridges, vellum parchment, and MiniDisc, but some formats survive because they serve a purpose and a meet a demand, even if it's not mainstream.
I did say for all practical reasons, which are, but you are part of a very small group that your purchases doesn't even register in the sales figure, hence the use of the word "practical".

nikosidis

It is nothing special but it is nothing wrong with them. Some stuff really measure bad. If you think about what is audible I doubt this player will sound less good than anything else. You might even prefer it to something that measure better. That would be personal preferences and nothing else though.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think anyone is making a linear motor laser sled, BSL spindle motor drive mech anymore. Those days are gone.
All the more reason(s) to hang onto those CDP drives that you have with linear motor sled drives. Those are the pinnacle of CD player technology.

DWI

How does this relate to measurements ?
It illustrates that one group with one set of values - for example believing measurements are the primary (if not the only) valid issue - may be completely irrelevant to other groups (e.g. consumer markets) with a completely different set of values.

The fact that people buy a chocolate bar because they think it brings them good luck may sound utterly mad, but it's true, and it happened because of a linguistic coincidence. I remember once in Japan driving past a temple where people were getting their cars blessed. YES; they have drive-in temples where a Shinto priest will bless your car. They probably bless audio as well.

One of the world's leading electronics brands, Canon, is blessed with spiritual virtue, being named after the bodhisattva Kannon, otherwise known as bodhisattva Avalokitasvara of the Goddess of Mercy. This is no small thing. Go to any temple and you will see thousands of them, people buy them and leave them on the temple steps just as Catholics buy candles and leave them in cathedrals.

Who's to say someone is wrong to buy a product because they think it will bring them luck, or closer to heaven, or make them a more forgiving person?

This applies to this product, because it was designed and made a perfect fit for the market for which it was produced - primarily the Japanese audio market has a completely different value system, primarily its love of spinning discs. There's no right or wrong, just different, and it's not about being wasteful audiophiles.

Hence I doubt what Amir says will have any impact on consumer behaviour, just as telling people chocolate is bad for you doesn't stop people buying it, and telling people God(s) don't exist isn't going to stop people buying Canon cameras.

Timbo2

I'm imaging the thing removing a small child's finger as it shuts slowly and silently. Except from the screams of the child of course.

Top Bottom