• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review of Marantz CD6000 OSE KI signature CD Player

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In an attempt to review more CD players, I here measured the

Marantz CD6000 OSE KI Signature

Launched in the early 2000s, the CD6000 was Marantz' "normal" range CD player.
They then launched, and sold for a premium, the CD6000 OSE, supposed to be an improved version.
And then the CD6000 OSE Ki Signature entered as the top version.
KI stands for Ken Ishiwata, who was supposed to have added his secret sauce to the recipe for this version.
(Marketing...)

I purchased mine new for around 500€, if I remember well.
That was before Qobuz times...

_32A7291_dxo.jpg

As usual, my measurements are done using RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE (Optical SPDIF and Analog inputs) and Virtins Multi Instrument 3.9.8.1

Test CD validation
First, I wanted to make sure my Test CD-R was read without error.
I therefore first checked with RME 16 bits bit test with SPDIF output and got the expected confirmation message.
A quick and easy confirmation.

20230812_150004 (2).jpg

SPDIF output measurements

Measuring the digital output is also a perfect way to check all our tests signals from the CD and to set expectations.
But this is to exclude errors: we expect bit-perfect results here.
The actual measurements of the CD player's performances are further below, in the Analog ouptut section

SINAD

SINAD through SPDIF is what we know is perfect for our 16 bits dithered test signal

Marantz CD6000 OSE KI SINAD SPDIF_crop..png

Multitone (32 tones)

Same here

The signal's crest factor is much higher than for a simple sinusaoidal signal. This explains the lower TD+N figure.
That's perfectly normal.
This is the exact same result than when analyzing the original AudioPrecision test WAV file.

Marantz CD6000 OSE KI 32t SPDIF_crop..png

Frequency response

Just to make sure my test signal is valid, I measured frequency response as well.
Of course, in full digital, this is ruler-flat.

Marantz CD6000 OSE KI FR SPDIF.png

Jitter

I also tested my 16 bits J-Test signal track from CD, to make sure it works through the SPDIF.
We see here a perfect 16 bits Jitter measurement.

Marantz CD6000 OSE KI Jitter SPDIF_crop..png

Analog output measurements

SINAD

SINAD remains very good through the analog output.
We see an increase of third harmonic, but level is still below -105dB.

Marantz CD6000 OSE KI SINAD ANA_crop..png

Multitone (32 tones)

This test always gives a good input, as it shows noise, harmonic and intermodulation distortions, and frequency response in one single measurement.

Here, if you except some mains harmonics (here mains frequency is 50Hz), it's actually very clean.

We also see 20Hz-20kHz level remaining within +0.02/-0.23dB.

Marantz CD6000 OSE KI 32t ANA__crop..png

Frequency response

I'm now using a Fast Frequency Response signal from this page.

This confims the excellent results of the Multitone

Marantz CD6000 OSE KI FFR ANA.png.png

Jitter

Almost perfect result for this test as well.

NB: Analog input from ADC is shifted a bit, so the main component is not exactly at -3 dB. This is due to my measurement.

Marantz CD6000 OSE KI Jitter ANA_crop..png

Conclusion

This is actually very good performance.

Of course, this is not as comprehensive a set of measurements as we can do for a DAC,
but this at least gives us some indication of good engineering.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
I always had a huge downer on so many previous 'KI Signature' models, the added 'HiFi DEEEEETAIL' his so called tweaks seemed to add over the more benign stock articles put me off hugely. Glad to see (belatedly) that the performance wasn't ruined on this model :)

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Family had the stock OSE non-KI model of this CD player and the DR6000 CD recorder too!
Unfortunately never did extensive or detailed proper testing to find out why we thought we didn't like something in the sound of it compared to the Yamaha it replaced or the new Yamaha that replaced it. Listening tests were not level matched, just playing the same CD (two store bought discs) in each machine and switching at the amp, assuming all else was equal.
That all said, in level matched listening test a laptop with the Topping D10 has essentially replaced the Yamaha CD player as they sounded indistinguishable.

The OSE had a reasonable amount of heft to it. I think thicker casing and maybe some extra copper or bigger caps here and there over non OSE. I'd imagine the KI was yet more fine quality Japanese 'weight' added to the device along with some probably measurable but probably irrelevant electrical tweaks.

I'd have a hard job getting anywhere in a HiFi shop nowadays. Armed with a multimeter and a test CD with 400 Hz sine wave. First step - level match as even 0.2 dB is audible as a difference that is perceived in different ways for different people.

Thanks for the measurements, interesting.

audio_tony

The OSE had a reasonable amount of heft to it. I think thicker casing and maybe some extra copper or bigger caps here and there over non OSE.
The major changes I remember were the addition of a copper chassis (copper plated I think), a toroidal transformer and a brace bar acoss the chassis toward the rear.

There were probably also some 'audiophile' caps thrown in for good measure.

Apart from that, I don't think there was any special selection of DAC chips, opamps or anything like that.

The 67SE / Ki was pretty much the same evolution, as were other players like the CD17 etc.

Whether or not it made any difference to the sound is purely subjective I think.

The same went for the amps, the PM66SE / Ki - copper plated chassis and a handful of 'audiophile' caps and a toroidal transformer completed the upgrade.

The PM6010SE/Ki was rinse and repeat! (even the internals were the same as the PM66).

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Whether or not it made any difference to the sound is purely subjective I think.
I also doubt those modifications brought audible differences, measurements seemed inconspicuous in both cases.

L5730

Oh and let's not forget the 'KI' badge on the front. That's gotta add the same effect as those go faster stripes on a Vauxhall Nova :p

Top Bottom