• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Cinema 30

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One of those posts where can't quite quote science or math, so probably worthless. And also points to inconsistent experiences, which does not help either.

Nonetheless, I don't feel like my Denon 6700H was ever able to drive very efficient Klipsch 7.x.4 set beyond -10/-15 dB master volume beyond the point where the experience started to sound harsh. After adding some external amps to the setup listening to reference volume even in the 2500sft room became quite possible and really enjoyable. Obviously you want to limit such volume to 2 or less hours per day, or not even every day, so my use for it was the new or older movies I thought would be worth of it.

Interestingly enough, the acoustics of the larger loft where I have another HT, is rarely calling for volumes beyond -10dB, despite the fact that distortion in that system should overall be lower than in the smaller system with Denon/Klipsch and amps are overall more powerful and AVP better, albeit speakers more demanding. Never tried that system with AVR, so can't really tell if would be happy for AVR to drive it.

While difficult to find a common denominator between the above, it might be that you should try and experiment, with an open eye. I am unfortunately naturally biased to amps, but that is my problem. The better way to experiment with external amps is to consider them as additional strain on your budget and that they would need to prove themselves big time before you keep them. If you just think they will be better without the chance to critically evaluate them, chances are they will sound better as well. So "negative" bias to amps, will actually be a positive one in evaluating them.
Me, too, am very biased, so at one point I have a dozen of power amps for just three 2ch stereo systems, now down to just 3 that has much more juice than I need, plus 3 Fosi, for the same stereo systems. In reality I would have been fine if I just keep the 3 little Fosi amps.:D

DrStranger

I need your inputs here. I think I have finaly made up my mind, the C30 will be my next AVR, but...

I have built a TV furniture from IKEA stuff, its housing/frame.

The frame is 53cm in deepth inside.

If i measure everyting correct the C30 will fit and a HDMI cable pointing out in the back as well, am I correct?

I will NOT have the door closed when using it, to have airflow, it will be open while listening. The IKEA frame is closed in the back, but three large holes has been cut out, for some air. My main concern is if it will fit and the HDMI as well, or will it be too big?

Last edited:

CapMan

Major Contributor
I need your inputs here. I think I have finaly made up my mind, the C30 will be my next AVR, but...

I have built a TV furniture from IKEA stuff, its housing/frame.

The frame is 53cm in deepth inside.

If i measure everyting correct the C30 will fit and a HDMI cable pointing out in the back as well, am I correct?

I will NOT have the door closed when using it, to have airflow, it will be open while listening. The IKEA frame is closed in the back, but three large holes has been cut out, for some air. My main concern is if it will fit and the HDMI as well, or will it be too big?
How much clearance around the sides and top? I can imagine it might get very warm in there . Perhaps a fan would help to extract the hot air … I would stick to Marantz’s guidance on clearance gaps.

Daka

Any news if there will be Av20 or cinema 20 coming out? There is a gap in a lineup but no leaks

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any news if there will be Av20 or cinema 20 coming out? There is a gap in a lineup but no leaks
I doubt they would bother with a C20, as that would take some sales away from Denon.

AV5 would be likely though. For the AV series, lower numbers would likely be used for the lower model, e.g. 8805 vs 7705.

Oddball

AV5? Hope they call it AV20 to keep it consistent with their new general approach lower is better, as the old approach was higher was better. Mixing the two could become confusing.

Have not heard anything about 7706 replacement and honestly if I was advising Marantz, would not give thumbs up to replace that model. C-30 seems great and if people want more channels and balanced outs, well there is AV-10. Can't imagine that 13-channel AV-20 with balanced out would be flying off shelves (provided consistent pricing with entire line-up), and if it would - that would be reducing the sales of existing C-30 and AV-10.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
AV5? Hope they call it AV20 to keep it consistent with their new general approach lower is better, as the old approach was higher was better. Mixing the two could become confusing.

Have not heard anything about 7706 replacement and honestly if I was advising Marantz, would not give thumbs up to replace that model. C-30 seems great and if people want more channels and balanced outs, well there is AV-10. Can't imagine that 13-channel AV-20 with balanced out would be flying off shelves (provided consistent pricing with entire line-up), and if it would - that would be reducing the sales of existing C-30 and AV-10.
I could be wrong for sure, AV20 does seem more likely. 13 channels + 4 subouts would be good, so they can just adapt the C30, to minimize cost.

For them to sell better than they did on tbe 7706, the lower model av must be priced signicantly lower than the C30, or even the X6800H, as most people won't pay as much, or more just for the XLRs.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I could see something like an AV10 lite with less channels, no FM radio... A substitute for the AV7706, in a nutshell. Perhaps price reduction over time sounds like a better deal than a more limited device.

But for AVR's, I think there is not much gap for further ones.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I could be wrong for sure, AV20 does seem more likely. 13 channels + 4 subouts would be good, so they can just adapt the C30, to minimize cost.

For them to sell better than they did on tbe 7706, the lower model av must be priced signicantly lower than the C30, or even the X6800H, as most people won't pay as much, or more just for the XLRs.
The interesting proposition of that is getting the combo of the Amp10.

In that regard, I'd try to extend the line to a CD transport and a balanced turntable.

Daka

There is a gap in naming number wise, I don’t think this is amiss, it’s been planned. So there is a place for something with 20 in the name. Since Marantz had two processors in the lineup I would bet we yet to see Av20. It makes sense they would delay so people who normally would get AV20 will spend more on AV10.

Processors are not popular products period, but I’m sure Av20 with 13 channels would be much more popular than Av10. Av10 capabilities and price is marketed to dedicated HT owners - to go with cheaper option vs more expensive competition. Better priced Av20 with balanced outs would appeal to all of people. Vast majority is not running more than 9.1.4.
I personally would be happy with cheaper A1H but I don’t want to haul 32kg of dead weight when I already have external amps, at the same time not happy with AV10 price.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The interesting proposition of that is getting the combo of the Amp10.

In that regard, I'd try to extend the line to a CD transport and a balanced turntable.
For multichannel amp, 8 would be my limit, 16 is too many imo, ymmv obviously. All eggs in one basket is not good either. I hope Marantz will launch something to replace the old MM8003 or MM8077 call it amp 5, or amo 30 if they want.

Oddball

D&M have very extensive line up and are about to be spun off from Massimo, and with some other parts of their consumer business. Sales have not been what they were so the consumer business is not really flourishing despite the fact that 2023/4 gen of D&M products has technically delivered all that consumers wanted.

Might be wrong, but don't see new models in the cards, unless they are already at launch stage. And could see lees models for the next gen as well, and some elimination of the overlap between D&M models. When things are tight, the standard procedure is to simplify the supply chain and consolidate model line-up.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
There is a gap in naming number wise, I don’t think this is amiss, it’s been planned. So there is a place for something with 20 in the name. Since Marantz had two processors in the lineup I would bet we yet to see Av20. It makes sense they would delay so people who normally would get AV20 will spend more on AV10.

Processors are not popular products period, but I’m sure Av20 with 13 channels would be much more popular than Av10. Av10 capabilities and price is marketed to dedicated HT owners - to go with cheaper option vs more expensive competition. Better priced Av20 with balanced outs would appeal to all of people. Vast majority is not running more than 9.1.4.
I personally would be happy with cheaper A1H but I don’t want to haul 32kg of dead weight when I already have external amps, at the same time not happy with AV10 price.
I don't know how much could cost be reduced taking out a couple HDMI inputs, the FM radio, three channels, balanced inputs and even a couple digital inputs, but if that could amount to 500 buckd or so less than the Cinema 30, Marantz would be releasing a beast of a processor.

I'd even dump the Amp10 only to set a zone 2 and 3. :D

For multichannel amp, 8 would be my limit, 16 is too many imo, ymmv obviously. All eggs in one basket is not good either. I hope Marantz will launch something to replace the old MM8003 or MM8077 call it amp 5, or amo 30 if they want.
Marantz's current implementation of IcePower modules and Hypex in the past is quite successful. I wish they'd extend those to AVR's, stereos and less channel count amps.

Daka

I don't know how much could cost be reduced taking out a couple HDMI inputs, the FM radio, three channels, balanced inputs and even a couple digital inputs, but if that could amount to 500 buckd or so less than the Cinema 30, Marantz would be releasing a beast of a processor.

I'd even dump the Amp10 only to set a zone 2 and 3. :D

Marantz's current implementation of IcePower modules and Hypex in the past is quite successful. I wish they'd extend those to AVR's, stereos and less channel count amps.
It’s not really about cost production. No processor is about that otherwise would not be more expensive than loaded with amps AVRs. It’s a niche product and it’s priced as such so I would not expect AV20 to be cheaper than Cinema 30. Same price would make sense but as mentioned it’s niche so the only reason to go for it over c30 would be balanced outputs. Perhaps they could conclude it just not worth the cost of designing one. TBH I would be happy with c30 since it’s preamp section is great, if only it also had the same dual channel dacs for all channels. This is the only reason why I would like to see AV20. Meanwhile I can get A1H for 10% more over c30 (30% off) whilst AV10 shed only mere 8%

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
Does anyone know if Amir will be reviewing this AVR?

Daka

Does anyone know if Amir will be reviewing this AVR?
It would be interesting to know when few amps are used if it interferes with preamp section for others. Like when you would use them for height channels for instance. At the moment only measurements of with amps fully engaged or in full preamp was done

Top Bottom