• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Cinema 30

thezoneC30

Because this column originally asked for subjective opinions ....
This is followup to earlier post, at which point I didn't have nearly as many hours listening and comparing systems comparing sound of my "two" systems. .

This is for 5.2 playback only, as I have no way to compare higher channel counts.
External amps involved, so main difference is one system uses exasound multichannel DAC and Audiolense, and other uses Dirac on the 30.
I switch between systems with a coleman 7.1 switch, and sync playback between systems with JRiver. No, I am not level matching (except by ear).

The differences are not always apparent, but on some two track and 4 channel material, I prefer how AL processes the bass and lower midrange. To my ears, Audiolense, pulls everything more center than Dirac, and gives you a sense of a phantom center. When using the 30 /Dirac, and turning up the volume to higher levels, I still can't get that that same cohesiveness in the center of my listening room provided with DAC/AL chain.

I prefer the AL sound because of this, and is only reason I'll keep my DAC connected.

Having said that, I happily listen to the 30 and don't feel like I'm missing that much. The 30 is also drop dead simple for playing Atmos music, where (I think) my described DSP differences mean very little, if anything, when you have music from many surround speakers.

It's the best AVR I've ever owned.
When you are listening to 2/4ch material on the C30, do you have the "Center Spread" feature enabled?

thezoneC30

Ok, so no DSU upmixing. Well I don't use Dirac at all so I'm probably not much help, but I love the way the C30 handles 2ch music in pure direct and using the DSU with center spread.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Need to go demo this beast!
Good for you, you would likely be impressed with the features, especially the info display, if you are used to Anthem's (that what you are using right?) On SQ, I hope you would just trust specs and measurements more, it's hard to judge/compare by ears in dealer demo rooms.

Last edited:
OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
Good for you, you would likely be impressed with the features, especially the info display, if you are used to Anthem's (that what you are using right?) On SQ, I hope you would just trust specs and measurements more, it's hard to judge/compare by ears in dealer demo rooms.
Yes I first need to see measurements from Amir, Gene or Erin!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I first need to see measurements from Amir, Gene or Erin!

As mentioned, Gene did say in the video that he wanted to do it, but you may have to wait for a while, if it ever happens. The odds for someone to send Amir a $4,500 50 lbs (in the box) unit is not that good, but you never know...

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
As mentioned, Gene did say in the video that he wanted to do it, but you may have to wait for a while, if it ever happens. The odds for someone to send Amir a $4,500 50 lbs (in the box) unit is not that good, but you never know...
Time will tell!

Oddball

Marantz was pretty accurate in measuring AV-10 compared to Amin and Gene's reviews. So I would not expect many surprises with C-30. Seems like amazing unit for people that need some amps or want to save on top notch 13ch AVP (albeit with some more heat than the flagship 15ch AV-10).

CCCC

Mine does not get hot at all (I use external amp for the 2 front channels)

Oddball

Sure not as cool as AV-10 ;)

DrStranger

I think the key question here is, are you using the internal amps, as that would probably yield higher temps than using it in pure pre-amp mode?

I have mine in a sealed cupboard 445mm Wide x 530mm Deep x 295mm high, with an Infinity fan at the top of this cupboard ventilating into the roof cavity. I have the Infinity fan set to come on at 32deg C and only on hot days does the fan even turn on, during normal operation on mild days (day 20-25 deg C) the temperature at the top of this cabinet is around 26 deg C which is nothing, the unit barley gets warm in pre-amp mode.

Oh due to the width of this cabinet being 445mm there is like only 3mm clearance in total for both sides which is less than ideal.
I will be using the internal amps, yes. The C30 is 44,2 wide and the dimension of the cabinet is 56,5 width inside that gives 12,3, so 6 cm on each side, that should be fine? I am more worried that the HDMI cables and, if i cant find, short enough banana plugs, to cause the depth to be too short for the C30 and cables plug.

Regarding the fan, I dont have room, height 20,4 and the C30 is 18,9.... I know but thats what I have to live with. Unless Infinty have something that tight?

Last edited:

Oddball

Sure. But saying that C30 runs hot might be misleading for people considering a buy
Hot is a relative term. What is hot for your might not be what is hot for me. My point is that C-30 is awesome unit, but it is not AV-10. To some it might tick all the boxes that AV-10 does, but not to all. I am not misleading anyone - it is true that AV-10 has no fans and can't get loud/hot even if the poor thing wanted to.

Last edited:

Oddball

Don't know what's too much for you guys, but sure as hell I love the cool of AV-10 compared to my 6700H in pre-amp mode, which again might not compare to C-30. Could be a very marginal benefit for most, but yeah works for me in addition to balanced outputs for the subs. No more AVRs in pre-amp mode for me until they completely disconnect the amp section :D.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's too bad pre-amp mode doesn't do anything to reduce power consumption & heat. For that I have ECO mode on Auto so for most uses below -30 MV it's at 50% power and heat, but for movies, I make sure the room is cool before I crank it up.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hot, warm, cool etc., as alluded to, could be perceived differently by different people. In my experience, I felt better using an ext fan. I consider the build in fans are just there to minimuze warrant repairs within the period covered, i.e. 3 to 5 years, not for optimal performance or longevity.

I trust the C30 has better heatsink design than the lower models, but I found my previous Marantz prepros too warm for my comfort. That's just my subjective feeling, they were never too warm to touch, but I still used fans for, hopefully longevity, and probably a little better performance at temperture that would not be too cool or too warm. Since I find AVPs and even my 2 CH preamps too warm for comfort, I would always use ext fan for AVRs regardless, ymmv applies for sure. And I keep my room temperture no higher than 22 deg C, average around 21 C.

Last edited:

Oddball

It's too bad pre-amp mode doesn't do anything to reduce power consumption & heat. For that I have ECO mode on Auto so for most uses below -30 MV it's at 50% power and heat, but for movies, I make sure the room is cool before I crank it up.
Not so technical but per some of the more technical members, they do reduce the power consumption to 4-5W per ch on 2021 models. But for my taste 6700H is still a hot mess in pre-amp mode and needs a fan which then increases the noise floor in the room.

CCCC

I have had Marantz receivers in the last 5 years and the fans never came into play. Never

Top Bottom