• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

M-Audio BX3 Monitor Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 158 87.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 7.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
"Strange through from 200 to 1000hz"
"Strange through from"
1e06a077e0b1726b3e246496d0878ef9fb-10-Toxic-Avenger-Reboot-Movie.jpg

"Strange"? How? Is this is the first speaker you measured that doesn't measure flat.

"Strange through from"
51bHDV9sAlL._SX397_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
No, you need to pay more attention:

index.php

It says strange *trough*, not through. Trough as opposite of hill. And yes, it is strange. I had not seen that shape before.

Hexspa

No, you need to pay more attention:

index.php

It says strange *trough*, not through. Trough as opposite of hill. And yes, it is strange. I had not seen that shape before.
Hey, Amir. I messaged you. Can you please reply? It will take all of three minutes. Thank you.

heflys20

Lol. That Revel got a golfing panther because it's an outdoor speaker that measures/sounds decent enough. For an outdoor speaker.

Heck, the revel m80xc measures even better. Alas, no golfing panther.

Last edited:

Blackintosh

I think you were a bit unfair to these speakers. I bought 2 sets of these speakers second-hand because I needed them as surround satellites to complete my 7.1.4 setup. Having read your review I was expecting something really bad and I was fully prepared to send them back to the shop if I didn't like them, but in the end I kept them. I agree with you to the point that these are not good for music production and actual monitoring. But as PC speakers or satellites they are excellent! If instead of comparing them to monitors you rather compare them to e.g. Logitech speakers or surround systems, these are way better than anything Logitech has to offer. I've tried a couple of their 5.1 systems, the smaller ones are crap, one of these speakers is heavier than the subwoofer of those. And if I compare it to something like the Z-5500, the M-Audio sounds much clearer and has more detail. (Is it possible that M-Audio upgraded these since your review, and the ones you tried are not the same I have?)

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I think you were a bit unfair to these speakers. I bought 2 sets of these speakers second-hand because I needed them as surround satellites to complete my 7.1.4 setup. Having read your review I was expecting something really bad and I was fully prepared to send them back to the shop if I didn't like them, but in the end I kept them. I agree with you to the point that these are not good for music production and actual monitoring. But as PC speakers or satellites they are excellent! If instead of comparing them to monitors you rather compare them to e.g. Logitech speakers or surround systems, these are way better than anything Logitech has to offer. I've tried a couple of their 5.1 systems, the smaller ones are crap, one of these speakers is heavier than the subwoofer of those. And if I compare it to something like the Z-5500, the M-Audio sounds much clearer and has more detail. (Is it possible that M-Audio upgraded these since your review, and the ones you tried are not the same I have?)

Surround duty is relatively easy on speakers. Surrounds are almost always crossed to a sub, and surround content is mostly ambient sounds with the occasional effect. I am not surprised they work decently in that application.

But...

M-Audio advertises these as "Multimedia Reference Monitors." Their web site imagery shows them in recording applications, and the purchase price includes basic digital audio workstation (DAW) recording software. Judging them against their advertised purpose, they are pretty terrible. The only use I might have for them is to use them to check my mixes on a known crappy speaker to see how it might translate to other crappy speakers.

heflys20

Besides, I'd hope these sound better than the junk Logitech puts out. No surprise there. Heck, you can get much better speakers than these for not a lot more.

Top Bottom