• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Luxman 590AXII With Wilson Speakers - which one made the vocals forward?

dman777

When I was at the Hifi shop, I heard the Luxman 590AXII on the Wilson Audio SabrinaX speakers. I loved how forward the vocals were. At first I thought it was the amp that made the vocals so forward. But now I wonder if it was the speakers instead? Anyone familiar with these 2 to know?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Luxman usually makes competent electronics. That only leaves the speakers.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, I don't fully understand.
Well-designed amps sound the same. You only get into boutique sounds with uhm, special amplifiers like SETs.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is very little of the upper-bass boost that usually results from nearfield measurements. This suggests that the SabrinaX's low-frequency alignment is optimized for clarity and definition with the bass then reinforced by the low-frequency "room gain."

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
When I was at the Hifi shop, I heard the Luxman 590AXII on the Wilson Audio SabrinaX speakers. I loved how forward the vocals were. At first I thought it was the amp that made the vocals so forward. But now I wonder if it was the speakers instead? Anyone familiar with these 2 to know?
It’s not the Luxman. Most likely setup of the Wilsons.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, I don't fully understand.
A good amp shouldn't have its own sound, it should just deliver the music as it is. So, if something is making the vocals more prominent, it would tend to be the speakers.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Forward vocals is usually from a speaker that has a unheaven frequency response (on purpose) that has voice frequency range higher than other ones. Leading to more power for vocal compared to the rest and thus creating this forward feeling.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Looking at hifi news measurements of this speaker, FR has a W shape with a bump in the 500-2500hz region.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At first I thought it was the amp that made the vocals so forward.
May I ask why you imagined this to begin with ,?
But now I wonder if it was the speakers instead?
Since an amp doesn't produce any sound at all by itself, yes, it definitely was the speakers.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And, each of us (hopefully audiophiles, audio enthusiasts) should always have/bring his/her own consistent "reference/sampler music playlist/tracks" throughout our long-year audio exploration journey including tuning of our audio system at home and the audition sessions at HiFi audio shops dealers and manufacturers.

In my case, I always have/bring my "reference/sampler music playlist intact 60 tracks" for which you can find the summary posts here and here on my project thread. (I also started an independent thread on it.) Of course, several excellently-recorded vocal music tracks (focus of this thread) are included.

I always use/keep/bring also all the tracks of "Sony Super Audio Check CD (ref. here)"; just for your reference, now we have an interesting thread on pink noise (and white noise).

Last edited:
Top Bottom