• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loxjie D40 Pro DAC & HP Amp Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 37 14.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 200 80.3%

• Total voters

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If its only flaw if being average for IEMs and excellent for everything else, in my opinion it is still a great device, especially for the price.

audiofun

If its only flaw if being average for IEMs and excellent for everything else, in my opinion it is still a great device, especially for the price.
as is explained above this device reaches 90db SNR for 50mv in single ended. just don't use the balanced output for IEMs. you won't need that much power for IEMs anyway.

audiofun

I was expecting a noise reduction by 1/root 2. and not a addition for balanced ???
You are totally talking about a different kind of mechanism, though....
in this case, noise is inverted in the negative phase. so at any time, the noise amplitude is doubled by two.

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You are totally talking about a different kind of mechanism, though....
in this case, noise is inverted in the negative phase. so at any time, the noise amplitude is doubled by two.
Yea I was thinking a little deeper and deleted the post.:facepalm:
:facepalm: unfortunately not fast e.....

Ziroz

I wish they hired a professional industrial product designer. It performs like 2023 and looks like 1983. And not in a good way.
Agreed, it look like something from the early 2000s at best.

Music1969

Major Contributor
amir's result is misleading (again). all the tests are performed on the balanced output only, which is a true balanced design (with +/- phase instead of +/GND), so the noise is doubled compared to single ended. If you use the single ended output, you'll have 6db less noise (by half), which will reach the 90db mark.

Topping A30 Pro is 94dB at 50 mV from balanced. So 100dB unbalanced?

That is what is required to be 'state of the art'.

audiofun

Topping A30 Pro is 94dB at 50 mV from balanced. So 100dB unbalanced?

That is what is required to be 'state of the art'.
topping a30 pro is not even balanced. it just has a balanced jack but has no reversed phase.
and compare a pure amp to dac combo is not fair at all. this device's noise is caused by the dac while amp's noise is negligible.
your comparison makes zero sense to me.

though your result is true --- a30pro does reach 100db + SNR at 50mv, so could this combo's amp section. but your reasonings are all wrong.

audiofun

A30 Pro is clearly state of the art at the moment
so what's your point? DAC cannot reach hp amp's SNR. you connect a DAC to the amp, and your output's SNR is determined by the DAC, not the amp, if no voltage division is involved.

unless a combo provides negative gain, it cannot compete with analog hp amp's SNR. combo can easily reach pure hp amp's noise level when you divide the voltage output of the DAC. A simple mod will give you that performance.

MacClintock

Using an amp for IEMs is kind of pointless.

MacClintock

Agreed, it look like something from the early 2000s at best.
Sure, one can always complain about anything. Getting a SOTA DAC and an extremely powerfull headphone amp for under $400 is amazing. If only good headphones were that cheap....

Reactions: ENG

MacClintock

I wish they hired a professional industrial product designer. It performs like 2023 and looks like 1983. And not in a good way.
Ok, but I still prefer if to a typical boutique hifi piece of gear, which has amazing design and oozes sophistication, costs several thousand dollars and measures poorly. Hiring good engineers is more important.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, but I still prefer if to a typical boutique hifi piece of gear, which has amazing design and oozes sophistication, costs several thousand dollars and measures poorly. Hiring good engineers is more important.
Regardless of personal preference, my point was, with these specs, it would be commercially more successful if it did not look like it was taken from a Soviet nuclear bunker.

Talisman

Forum Donor
Regardless of personal preference, my point was, with these specs, it would be commercially more successful if it did not look like it was taken from a Soviet nuclear bunker.
From these statements you understand that aesthetics is an extremely subjective parameter. For me it's finally the only dac that doesn't have the shape of a black box but of a hifi device. I find it the most beautiful of the various topping/smsl

Omar Cumming

Great product, good price.

Its looks remind me of my Apt-Holman preamp, which I like!

Cheers

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Loxie Remote could use some work. The manual says the "Volume" button is non-functional.
The button named EQ is really just for selecting a filter unlike the RME ADI-2 DAC FS. Most Chinese based DACs don't see the importance of a quality remote specifically designed for the device. It would be interesting to know if the Loxie D40 Pro remote requires laser focus at 10 feet like the Topping remotes.

loxie remote.png

Top Bottom