• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for Deadheads and interested Civilians

OP
A

August West

I'm listening to a very interesting project. GD at Winterland June 1977. There is an official box set release of the 3 shows. But I am listening to an interesting twist.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I mean, I am a long-time and fairly De(a)dicated fan. Never exactly on the bus though.
I did see them a number of times in college and grad school days in Philadelphia and the DC and Baltimore metro area(s).
Actually fell in love with the woman who would become my wife at a Dead concert, but that's another story entirely.

OP
A

August West

Welcome to this thread. BTW what years did you seem back then? Any favorite shows?

OP
A

August West

I mean, I am a long-time and fairly De(a)dicated fan. Never exactly on the bus though.
I did see them a number of times in college and grad school days in Philadelphia and the DC and Baltimore metro area(s).
Actually fell in love with the woman who would become my wife at a Dead concert, but that's another story entirely.
Do you remember what show you fell in love?

OP
A

August West

When my friend introduced us, it was a 3 night affair. His warning: Take one and you're good take two and figure how to unscrew your head from the ground. He was right. PS I only took one dose per night.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I might be a just couple of years too young... I remembering hearing the name the Grateful Dead (maybe on the radio) and somehow I got the impression that they were hard rock or heavy metal... I'm not sure if it was the band name, or maybe I heard something about "acid rock" and I was thinking about the kind of acid that eats metal...

So I was super-surprised when I first heard their music, or maybe I'd heard some of the music but didn't know who's music it was.

Not my favorite band (I don't have a favorite anymore) but they were a good band and it's good music. I have a Greatest Hits CD and at least one more (which I can't remember off the top of my head).

I also have a CD by New Riders Of The Purple Sage (Jerry Garcia). I had the LP and I probably bought it without knowing there was any relation to The Grateful Dead.

OP
A

August West

I might be a just couple of years too young... I remembering hearing the name the Grateful Dead (maybe on the radio) and somehow I got the impression that they were hard rock or heavy metal... I'm not sure if it was the band name, or maybe I heard something about "acid rock" and I was thinking about the kind of acid that eats metal...

So I was super-surprised when I first heard their music, or maybe I'd heard some of the music but didn't know who's music it was.

Not my favorite band (I don't have a favorite anymore) but they were a good band and it's good music. I have a Greatest Hits CD and at least one more (which I can't remember off the top of my head).

I also have a CD by New Riders Of The Purple Sage (Jerry Garcia). I had the LP and I probably bought it without knowing there was any relation to The Grateful Dead.
They are not hard rock nor heavy metal. They are an amalgamation of American music. Rock is essentially correct, but...
played with a jazz sensibility. They could take a theme, blast off into improvisation land and return to the theme. Think John Coltrane's "My Favorite Things" as their model.

OP
A

August West

They played blues, country , blues, bluegrass tunes, jug band music. There was nobody else like that and I miss hearing it live. But I have every GD show that circulates in trading circles.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Do you remember what show you fell in love?
Baltimore Civic Center, it was sometime in 1980 (I'm thinking autumn, but I could have that wrong).
We had an extra ticket (we had pretty good seats, too -- just behind tapers, as I recall), and I ended up I inviting a friend to go. She had no idea what she was getting herself into, but she was such a trouper, she enjoyed the music as much as she could, and I was smitten (for life, as it turned out). :)

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I guess I should check in here and say hello.

For starters here's a look at my vantage point for all three nights at Soldier Field back in 2015.

IMG_20150704_210912.jpg

IMG_2776_0.jpg

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I remembering hearing the name the Grateful Dead (maybe on the radio) and somehow I got the impression that they were hard rock or heavy metal... I'm not sure if it was the band name, or maybe I heard something about "acid rock" and I was thinking about the kind of acid that eats metal...

It was pictures of "The Wall of Sound" that did it for me. Didn't realize that it was built for technical reasons rather than blowing eardrums.

When I finally had a listen, it was waaay too tranquil for my taste :D

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interestingly, I used to hate the grateful dead. I assumed they were good, because so many people liked them, but whenever I asked what I should listen to, people would always recommend the live albums.

I HATED the live albums. I hated the sound quality. I hated the meandering ice pick guitar solos. I hated the lack of focus or arc to any of the songs. So, I hated the Grateful Dead for many many years.

Then for some reason I decided to try the studio albums. I think the first one that really hooked me was 'Go to Heaven'. Not well regarded among deadheads, but it reminded me of Toto IV or something. Fun, focussed, clear sense of mood, great musicianship and a very tight sound between the two vocalists, guitar players and everyone else.

After that I went back and listened to the studio albums. I liked a lot of them. 'Live at the Mars Hotel' is probably my favorite.

My favorite grateful dead - related album might actually be 'Compliments' the solo Garcia album. Absolutely beautiful music, really fun, just a perfect piece of music for me:

And who can resist this Stones cover:

deprogrammed

I am a fan. Wouldn't go so far as to say I am a Deadhead. Had friends that were. Saw them twice. Their music is always in the rotation. Usually I will fall for a song and listen to different versions of it as opposed to whole concerts. Usually.

Zgrado1970

Not quite a boomer Deadhead checking in. Older siblings and friends were much bigger heads (25+ shows), but I saw them 8 times between 1985 and 1991. I feel fortunate to have had the live show experience before the Touch of Grey blowup turned their live shows into frat parties.

I still listen to a lot of Dead. To the extent I am an audiophile ( I hate that word, but I do care how recorded music sounds), I am stoked that there is a ton of good live recordings. I have enjoyed going through the Europe ‘72 / Dick’s Picks, etc. live albums on streaming services.

Krusty09

Forum Donor
Started in 84 and seen them right to the last one. I've probably seen them over 200 times. I listen everyday still to tunein to some of the channels that play live shows.

After 95 I have seen almost every form of the dead except for dead$co as I cant really stand Mayer. I feel like the best form of them was Furthur after the fat man kicked the bucket.

It's to bad what happened as the early 90s were great as he cleaned up but he just couldn't kill that Jones.

Not the best at what the do they are the only ones who do what they do.
" Bill Graham "

✌️

Top Bottom