• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Little Bear MC3 XLR & RCA Switch Review

Rate this switcher:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 31 23.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 92 69.7%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the One Little Bear (Nobsound/Duok) Little Bear MC3 XLR and RCA switcher. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $69.99.
Nobsound Little Bear MC3 RCA Switcher XLR review.jpg

I like the large knobs although I wished they had aligned them better. As you see, you can switch between one RCA and two XLR connections:
Nobsound Little Bear MC3 RCA Switch back panel XLR review.jpg

This is a passive device so no conversion between the types. The box is heavy enough for RCA use but my XLR cables managed to topple it backward. Still, quality is pretty good for such a low price.

Little Bear MC3 Switcher Measurements
Performance with both XLR and RCA in/out was the same as internal bypass on Audio Precision analyzer:
Nobsound Little Bear MC3 XLR Switcher Measurement.png

Nobsound Little Bear MC3 RCA Switcher Measurement.png

No extra noise either when I compared a direct wire connection in channel 2 and going through MC3 in Channel 3:
Nobsound Little Bear MC3 RCA Switcher SNR Measurement.png

Predictably there is a loss in crosstalk although what is there is better than most amplifiers:

Nobsound Little Bear MC3 Crosstalk Switcher Measurement.png

Edit: the box does route between XLR and RCA. This causes ground loops though but there is that measurement:
Nobsound Little Bear MC3 XLR to RCA converter Switcher Measurement.png

Conclusions
The MC3 device is a simple device that does its job well. It is a great solution to add more inputs to an amplifier.

I am going to recommend the One Little Bear MC-3 switcher. My only wish is that they reduce the number of names they give to their products!

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
someone should put a switcher inside a box with a phono preamp and a dac with a streamer. Maybe some EQ and a volume knob too, and a headphone out.

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nice review! However I wonder what happens with the mix 'n match combinations, like XLR in, RCA out. It does not seem that the higher XLR voltage input is decreased throughout the RCA out, and this might be a problem.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I wonder what happens with the mix 'n match combinations, like XLR in, RCA out.

From the review:

"This is a passive device so no conversion between the types."

glc650

From the review:

"This is a passive device so no conversion between the types."
It's advertised as a conversion device though and there are other passive devices that are just for conversion like the Neutrik XLR to RCA device.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
It's advertised as a conversion device though

You are correct.

1686969893886.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
@amirm

Can you test the frequency response, assuming there is a little transformer in there someplace for the conversion?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm

Can you test the frequency response, assuming there is a little transformer in there someplace for the conversion?
I don't think it has a transformer. Here is the frequency response:

1686970859290.png

AudioKC

Good enough for conversion from xlr to rca for subs. Great review Amir! Thanks.

DesertHawk

Is there a reasonable volume control with a remote that you could add to this to make it competitive with a preamp?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
There will be no conversion in this unit. No transfomer and no active circuitry means no actual differential drive to the XLRs. The XLR to RCA probably just drops the cold and connects only the hot.

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:

StuartC

Forum Donor
Snap. I use one for switching between my DAC (XLR out) and AVR (RCA out) into my Neumann active speakers (XLR in). The feel of the rotary is direct with very positive detent during selection. Ground loops are evident but can be handled by the speaker setting switches. if anyone knows of an active switcher I'd be interested in knowing who makes them.

Like Ronseal, it does what it says on the tin.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the version with the outlets on the front. It seems to work very well in my system. It's exclusively XLR like everything in my system, and it seems to have a somewhat lower profile than this one.

Top Bottom