• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch RPC1080 LCR Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 43 51.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
As previously stated, my use for these are going to be Atmos...I definitely would never advise/use in ceiling speakers for actual bed layer channels.

But if someone has a better recommendation/better measuring in ceiling speaker that is angled at least 30 degrees with good efficiency and wide coverage that doesn't cost as much as the JBL SCL-8, I am all ears

Also, these were $350 each when I bought them.

Newman

Major Contributor
@amirm Amir, I see you gave the Vertical dispersion curve of SPL/frequency in order to represent the sound that becomes direct sound, shown as 40 to 50 degrees off-axis.

But since this speaker is meant to go in the L and R locations which will often be near side walls, it would be relevant for us to see the horizontal curve too, at least around the 45 degree mark. The design of the speaker means horizontal will not be same as vertical.

In fact, if your tool collects it, the best SPL/curve to represent the first reflection off the near side wall, would be a measurement axis half way between the classic horizontal and vertical arcs, taken at about 45 degrees off the axis that is orthogonal to the ceiling.

cheers

Newman

Major Contributor
Based on the light construction noted by Amir, this speaker could have been priced around $100 IMHO.

Mario Sanchez

Would tilting the baffle be a possibility, or would that interfere with the mechanical operation of the NFS?

fineMen

Major Contributor
Ten times more costly than I would--with a :(, accept for this level of performance. What are they thinking? Two things though:
- is the Klippel the correct tool to evaluate the performance
- is it worthwhile to install a so called home theatre anyway, especially with so many complications and an always way too tight budget

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Klipsch KDA looks like 5 band PEQ?
IMG_7353.jpeg

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ten times more costly than I would--with a :(, accept for this level of performance. What are they thinking? Two things though:
- is the Klippel the correct tool to evaluate the performance
- is it worthwhile to install a so called home theatre anyway, especially with so many complications and an always way too tight budget
A couple comments..
-In order to make a judgement, and compare, you have to decide what will you be comparing it to? IMO, you have to compare it to other speakers attempting to solve the real problem of immersive audio setups where the in ceiling speaker is designed to be listened to around 45 degrees off axis and be in ceiling and flush mount. IMO comparing it to other speakers attempting to accomplish this, it is actually quite good.
-Is the Klippel the right tool? I think it is, in the manner Amir is attempting to show and explain the 40-50 degree off axis response and dispersion. Perfect, maybe not. But we have data with both the JBL SCL-5 and now this speaker we didn’t have before. Is a bookshelf speaker better? Yes. But sometimes it isn’t an option.
-This answer will vary depending on the individual. But yes, my multichannel atmos system gets used all the time. I have a dedicated 2 channel room too but most of my time is spent watching movies/music in a 9.4.7 system. Great fun.

squared80

Ceiling speaker are simply a convenient hassle free solution for people who hate the idea of loudspeakers standing in the middle of in their living room.

No, they're used more often for home theater Atmos setups.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
No, they're used more often for home theater Atmos setups.
Yea....this.

I mean there certainly are a lot of suburban basement builds where people just put in five ceiling speakers and call it surround sound but that isn't really the norm for this "hobby"/typical audio forum goers.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Do people use angled ceiling speakers for anything other than surround in a HT setup?
The main use is for LCR in front in typical living rooms. Hence the angled drivers to reach the sofa. The surrounds would have direct firing (no angle) above the sofa.

Reactions: JDS
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Would tilting the baffle be a possibility, or would that interfere with the mechanical operation of the NFS?
It would. It is also impossible to mount these at an angle so extreme. It expects a flat panel 90 degrees from the stand.

I did try to compensate in software but for some reason was not very successful. I need to contact them to see if there is a solution.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Maybe the Klippel isn't the right tool to measure this type of speaker if you can't angle the baffle. It would probably need to angle the mic as well to aim it properly if you can't angle baffle. Definitely something that could be done manually but I can see the automated system wasn't designed for this situation. I always appreciate the work you put into these measurements. I don't see an easy solution for measuring this type of speaker with the Klippel.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Maybe the Klippel isn't the right tool to measure this type of speaker if you can't angle the baffle.
??? I gave you the design angle anechoic frequency response:

index.php

Speaker clearly produces poor response off-axis relative to that angle and that is what the measurements show. With normal speakers, we don't like that. What the effect is in a ceiling speaker, is less clear. But all else being equal you want that off-axis response to be good. The KEF that I just tested gives you that:
index.php

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Speaker clearly produces poor response off-axis relative to that angle and that is what the measurements show. With normal speakers, we don't like that. What the effect is in a ceiling speaker, is less clear. But all else being equal you want that off-axis response to be good. The KEF that I just tested gives you that:

To be clear, when you say 40 degrees off axis for the Klipsch, you mean 40 degrees from a line straight up/down (if speaker were installed in the ceiling)?
Which for the angle of the speaker, means your off axis reference is technically "on axis" if one were lined up with the exact angle?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
To be clear, when you say 40 degrees off axis for the Klipsch, you mean 40 degrees from a line straight up/down (if speaker were installed in the ceiling)?
It is 40 degrees toward its driver angle (0 would be straight out). In other words, if it were 45 degrees, it would be directly inline with the way the speaker is designed. How that looks relative to your installation depends on which way the angle is pointed when you install the speaker.

If you install the speaker in a ceiling, and it is in front of you, then the angle would point back at you, again, the way the driver is aimed.

BTW, i should not that 40 may be 45 degrees as I did not check to see if the baffle was 100% straight up. It could be off a few degrees.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But if someone has a better recommendation/better measuring in ceiling speaker that is angled at least 30 degrees with good efficiency and wide coverage that doesn't cost as much as the JBL SCL-8, I am all ears
I don't know how much you can angle its coax, but Monitor Audio makes a neat one with their "IDC" coax that has the midrange cone swept behind the tweeter.

The only caution I would make about using the Klipsch ones you bought is, the cutout is much larger than the cutout for most other ceiling speakers. So fitting something else later in the same room would mean redoing drywall.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
It is 40 degrees toward its driver angle (0 would be straight out). In other words, if it were 45 degrees, it would be directly inline with the way the speaker is designed. How that looks relative to your installation depends on which way the angle is pointed when you install the speaker.

If you install the speaker in a ceiling, and it is in front of you, then the angle would point back at you, again, the way the driver is aimed.

BTW, i should not that 40 may be 45 degrees as I did not check to see if the baffle was 100% straight up. It could be off a few degrees.
Thanks. Just wanted to clarify as I plan on installing these so the MLP is in line with the design of the speaker angle (what we would normally call 45 degrees or so).

In this use case, they seem to measure decently enough.

JDS

The main use is for LCR in front in typical living rooms. Hence the angled drivers to reach the sofa. The surrounds would have direct firing (no angle) above the sofa.
Now I understand -- I saw ceiling-mounted L, C & R main speakers on their website in a room with a front glass curtain wall, which I assume is an acoustic nightmare. I guess that's for folks who don't care about imaging or being able to localize sounds. I wonder what the Venn diagram looks like mapping "people who don't care about imaging" and "people who want to spend long green for 'audiophile' speakers that are completely hidden."

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yeh, these are architectural speakers where they are installed to not be seen first and foremost, and producing sound, second. While these latest generation in-ceilings are much better, they are not remotely ideal when they are firing down this way.

Reactions: JDS

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Yeh, these are architectural speakers where they are installed to not be seen first and foremost, and producing sound, second. While these latest generation in-ceilings are much better, they are not remotely ideal when they are firing down this way.
I had tried several different in ceiling designs for the Atmos channels in my current living room setup. One of the best measuring ones (Revels) had the “worst” real world performance when it came to creating an immersive overhead environment. They sounded great when standing right under them but for proper Atmos layout where they were at 30+ degree angles to the MLP, they didn’t work well for the task.

On the flip side, the latest speaker I am now using are Goldenears with built in 30 degree angles. Their measurements are average at best but for Atmos/immersive duty, it is the best my room has sounded to date.

Top Bottom