• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch RPC1080 LCR Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 43 51.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Klipsch PRO-180RPC LCR in-ceiling home theater speaker. It was kindly sent to me by a member and costs US $450 (MSRP $670).
Klipsch PRO-180RPC LCR in ceiling speaker home theater review.jpg

I installed the speaker in the plywood panel for special "baffle" measurement using Klippel Near-field Scanner. Please note that this is the "LCR" version of this speaker which angles the drivers 45 degrees. The normal one I think just has them pointing straight out. The 180RPC is rather light speaker as you can tell from rather small magnet on the woofer (which is also angled):
Klipsch PRO-180RPC LCR in ceiling speaker home theater angled driver review.jpg

Crossover is second order:

Klipsch PRO-180RPC LCR in ceiling speaker home theater back size.jpg

The angled driver makes measurement challenging as the baffle system in NFS assumes zero degree radiation. I work around it in the measurements but that means eliminating fair number of graphs which no longer make sense.

Klipsch PRO-180RPC LCR Measurements
As a reference point if we go with the sound radiating 90 degrees to the surface of the speaker we get:
Klipsch PRO-180RPC LCR in ceiling speaker home theater frequency response measurement.png

The on-axis is poor now because of comb filtering caused by reflections caused by the tweeter angle (the up and down above 5 kHz). I post it so that we can see sound power and the fact that sensitivity is quite good. It peaks to 96 dB which is what the company advertises. I measured about 5 dB more sensitivity than typical 2-way speaker I measure.

The design angle is 45 degrees. I could generate that response but was too lazy :) and settled for showing you 40 and 50 degrees vertically:
Klipsch PRO-180RPC LCR in ceiling speaker home theater 40 and 50 degrees frequency response me...png

We see that the response becomes much more smooth and now displays the classic Klipsch recessed mid frequencies and accentuated highs. I highly recommend aligning your listening position to the 40 to 50 degrees. Off-axis is poor of course so better to have carpets and such to absorb them.

For distortion measurements, I aligned the microphone to be close to 45 degrees which results in similar frequency response:
Klipsch PRO-180RPC LCR in ceiling speaker home theater relative THD Distortion.png

Klipsch PRO-180RPC LCR in ceiling speaker home theater THD Distortion.png

I didn't realize I could disconnect the tweeter and make driver measurements until I was ready to post this review. Without it, we can only guess that the peak in the distortion is from woofer going outside of its comfort. Sadly the distortion lands where our hearing is most sensitive.

Company advertisement for the impedance uses fancy marketing language to hide the real number:
Klipsch PRO-180RPC LCR in ceiling speaker home theater impedance and phase measurement.png

Fortunately the high sensitivity means that there is not much demand on the amplifier.

Waterfall measurement shows a pronounced resonance but this could be due to the baffle I built:
Klipsch PRO-180RPC LCR in ceiling speaker home theater  csd waterfall measurement.png

Finally here is the step response:
Klipsch PRO-180RPC LCR in ceiling speaker home theater step response measurement.png

Conclusions
I miss my comprehensive measurements of speakers due to limitation of the setup here. The data we have indicates this is a reasonable design if you listen to it at 40 to 50 degrees. Otherwise like every other angled driver in-ceiling speaker I have tested, response would be quite poor. So I would place it away from close surfaces and use a carpet to absorb those reflections. Sensitivity is a major plus here easing amount of amplification power you need. On-axis frequency response shows that it needs just a couple of filters to be good.

Without ability to listen to the Klipsch PRO-180RPC LCR I don't have a recommendation for you. Generally though I kind of like what I saw especially at this price.
------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Somewhat high distortion at 86 dB. Quality of speaker’s material perhaps? Less than optimal crossover?
I am puzzled and not impressed. Ceiling speakers are not a mature sound technology.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I right in thinking that any Anechoic EQ corrections you'd do on this speaker would be to the 45 degree measurement on the Klippel (as that would be the listening position for this speaker), so you'd take the average of the following red & blue lines and then you'd EQ that to flat?
index.php

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Am I right in thinking that any Anechoic EQ corrections you'd do on this speaker would be to the 45 degree measurement on the Klippel (as that would be the listening position for this speaker), so you'd take the average of the following red & blue lines and then you'd EQ that to flat?
Correct although you want to adopt a target curve that slopes down.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thanks Amir.

I sent this in for testing to see how it would fair being used as the Atmos speakers of my upcoming theater build. This build will be using room correction (Anthem ARC most likely).

I was looking for something angled (to closely match Dolby specs for placement) and decent sensitivity to keep up with the JBL Cinema compression driver speakers of the bed layer without spending a large amount on the JBL SCL series.

The distortion graphs seem like the one major hesitation for my usage if my goal is effortless reference level playback. But again, since these will only be used for Atmos speakers, not sure if that helps overcome/negate the severity of the distortion result @ 96dB.

milosz

Forum Donor
EQ is all well and good in moderate amounts - but when you have resonances like the ones here, you will not only get a peaky frequency response, your will also get ENERGY STORAGE - i.e., RINGING. EQ will not fix that. Ringing and the distortion from speakers like this can sound harsh and ringing is a time domain phenomena that will "smear" transients. Look at how the FR peaks correlate to problems on the cumulative spectral chart.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
BTW, I was impressed to see these guy using computer simulation to design this speaker:

Clearly they know what they are doing. So the outcome is not an accident.

milosz

Forum Donor
EQ will not compensate for ringing. At this price I expect fewer resonances and better self damping.

Toni Mas

Somewhat high distortion at 86 dB. Quality of speaker’s material perhaps? Less than optimal crossover?
I am puzzled and not impressed. Ceiling speakers are not a mature sound technology.
Ceiling speaker are simply a convenient hassle free solution for people who hate the idea of loudspeakers standing in the middle of in their living room.
Performance is the price they have to pay for... The extra money for premium stuff always added...
Just good enough for casual listening, never worth spending over 100€ / pair...

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, I just heard in that video that they have equalization profile for this speaker in their amplifier DSP!
I think that you should add that to the review post as it changes the way to see the frequency responses.

Designed for all Klipsch Professional Series Reference Premiere architectural speakers, our DSP Amplifiers provide optimize EQ equalization and limiter settings for each model beyond what is capable with traditional crossover network. Each preset created specifically by Klipsch engineers for maximum output.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Ceiling speaker are simply a convenient hassle free solution for people who hate the idea of loudspeakers standing in the middle of in their living room.
Performance is the price they have to pay for... The extra money for premium stuff always added...
Just good enough for casual listening, never worth spending over 100€ / pair...
Or for people setting up object based systems like Atmos…

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Or for people setting up object based systems like Atmos…
I have watched at least a hundred Atmos/DTS X Movies with 9.6.2 and in general very little comes out of the height speakers. To distill this down to fit for purpose I would guestimate less than 5% engagement and then at pretty conservative volume. If you’re going to cut corners in the building of your theater this is a good a place to do that and get away with it. What I hear the most is soft soundtrack and ambiance overhead pans of 1000hz and above. MHO FWIW.

beagleman

Major Contributor
This type of speaker (Specialized In wall/ceiling design) you really need to "Hear it" to know how it will be perceived subjectively.

GWolfman

Forum Donor
Meh. Klipsch needs to try harder to earn my money.

D!sco

This is pretty expensive for what it is. As Amir said, they're aware of it's design and shortcomings at a simulation level. $500/pop is pretty unacceptable. I could by a whole HT 5.1 setup and EQ it for the price of one of these. Don't get me started on 2-4.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Correct although you want to adopt a target curve that slopes down.
Thanks for the response. How come you want the target to slope down when it's anechoic? Normally we want anechoic flat, what is the reason for this one being different?

sealman

Forum Donor
Based on the info on the website these are not designed for Atmos but for LCR duties. In fact the mounting distance according to their specs is 10.4 feet away for an eight foot ceiling.
With that kind of distance from seating and the THD specs and price I do not see any redeeming qualities for this to be honest.

JDS

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Klipsch PRO-180RPC LCR in-ceiling home theater speaker. It was kindly sent to me by a member and costs US $450 (MSRP $670).
View attachment 282216
I installed the speaker in the plywood panel for special "baffle" measurement using Klippel Near-field Scanner. Please note that this is the "LCR" version of this speaker which angles the drivers 45 degrees. The normal one I think just has them pointing straight out. The 180RPC is rather light speaker as you can tell from rather small magnet on the woofer (which is also angled):
View attachment 282217

Crossover is second order:

View attachment 282218

The angled driver makes measurement challenging as the baffle system in NFS assumes zero degree radiation. I work around it in the measurements but that means eliminating fair number of graphs which no longer make sense.

Klipsch PRO-180RPC LCR Measurements
As a reference point if we go with the sound radiating 90 degrees to the surface of the speaker we get:
View attachment 282219

The on-axis is poor now because of comb filtering caused by reflections caused by the tweeter angle (the up and down above 5 kHz). I post it so that we can see sound power and the fact that sensitivity is quite good. It peaks to 96 dB which is what the company advertises. I measured about 5 dB more sensitivity than typical 2-way speaker I measure.

The design angle is 45 degrees. I could generate that response but was too lazy :) and settled for showing you 40 and 50 degrees vertically:
View attachment 282220

We see that the response becomes much more smooth and now displays the classic Klipsch recessed mid frequencies and accentuated highs. I highly recommend aligning your listening position to the 40 to 50 degrees. Off-axis is poor of course so better to have carpets and such to absorb them.

For distortion measurements, I aligned the microphone to be close to 45 degrees which results in similar frequency response:
View attachment 282221

View attachment 282222

I didn't realize I could disconnect the tweeter and make driver measurements until I was ready to post this review. Without it, we can only guess that the peak in the distortion is from woofer going outside of its comfort. Sadly the distortion lands where our hearing is most sensitive.

Company advertisement for the impedance uses fancy marketing language to hide the real number:
View attachment 282223

Fortunately the high sensitivity means that there is not much demand on the amplifier.

Waterfall measurement shows a pronounced resonance but this could be due to the baffle I built:
View attachment 282224

Finally here is the step response:
View attachment 282225

Conclusions
I miss my comprehensive measurements of speakers due to limitation of the setup here. The data we have indicates this is a reasonable design if you listen to it at 40 to 50 degrees. Otherwise like every other angled driver in-ceiling speaker I have tested, response would be quite poor. So I would place it away from close surfaces and use a carpet to absorb those reflections. Sensitivity is a major plus here easing amount of amplification power you need. On-axis frequency response shows that it needs just a couple of filters to be good.

Without ability to listen to the Klipsch PRO-180RPC LCR I don't have a recommendation for you. Generally though I kind of like what I saw especially at this price.
------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Do people use angled ceiling speakers for anything other than surround in a HT setup? In that use case, I guess I don't see much benefit in high efficiency. These seem expensive relative their frequency response and distortion performance.

Klipsch tends to, shall we say, optimize for characteristics that are not my priorities.

Top Bottom