• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 meta Measurements

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It is, and your observations from hearing them in real life will be a contribution to the discussion.
And subjective listening impressions is what we all need before choosing a product to buy. If another person finds if good, it should be good, right?

Alexx

Certainly.

I'll let you know with great pleasure in the next few days.
See you soon.

regan

Finally the dealer called me, the new R3 Metas have arrived in the shop!!!

In a few days I'm going to do the direct test bringing my R3 so I can see for myself what difference there is between the two models (I won't do anything instrumental but only by ear).

Then I will let you know my humble impressions
See you soon.
Make sure to test blindfold otherwise it's useless

Phantomlimb

I've been eyeing the R3 metas but now worried seeing these measurements the dip below 4 ohms will be too much for my receiver (Denon 1700h, no pre-outs, AC infinity fan). Have a sub so would probably be crossing them around 60-80hz.

Would this pairing be a problem for either the speakers or receiver?

Scrivs

Forum Donor
OP— Only now got round to reading your well thought-out, intelligent and logical presentation on the R3 Meta. Just wanted to belatedly thank you, and and give you the props you deserve for your allocation of time and resources in providing much needed datapoints

And thanks to everyone else here for the pleasant (but all too brief) escape, and elucidation, and betterment I find these days only here.

I’ve been caring for dad palliatively at home for the last three months, it’s been the worst period of my 46 years. BUT, ASR has been my quiet (and only refuge), so thank you everyone on here, I’ve quietly listened, kept an open mind, and learned so much from everybody. Honest listening isn’t quietly waiting (and preparing) your next rebuttal.”

TLDR Sorry for the above random OT, 24/7 at home with pops can be isolating.

Please be kind to each other. Tell your fam you love them, even if you don’t even like ‘em

aarons915

Forum Donor
I've been eyeing the R3 metas but now worried seeing these measurements the dip below 4 ohms will be too much for my receiver (Denon 1700h, no pre-outs, AC infinity fan). Have a sub so would probably be crossing them around 60-80hz.

I personally think most people would be fine, I use the cheapest Denon money can buy (Denon 760H) with LS50's and it doesn't even get hot but I high pass them at 100Hz and don't crank them. I personally think people worry too much about 4 ohm loads since most speakers do dip low at some point in the frequency response and I don't hear about receivers exploding.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

I think it will be fine, assuming your listening distance is not huge. I powered mine with a 60W Cambridge CXA60 for several years with a listening distance of ~10 feet.

Phantomlimb

I personally think most people would be fine, I use the cheapest Denon money can buy (Denon 760H) with LS50's and it doesn't even get hot but I high pass them at 100Hz and don't crank them. I personally think people worry too much about 4 ohm loads since most speakers do dip low at some point in the frequency response and I don't hear about receivers exploding.
Great to know, thanks!

muad

Yes.
I came across Erin's review of the 1961 Bookshelf first, and measured the 1961 Center myself shortly thereafter (I didn't upload the review to ASR).

By then, my interest and trust in Arendal sound had already been established, and Erin's review of the Tower model cemented my intention to buy.

By the way, I'm still the only user of the 1961 Tower in the country.
(I'm lonely.)
Thanks for all the data!

You're likely the only person to hear both the R3 meta and 1961 towers. Any thoughts on how they compare? I'm trying to decide between them to use a long with a sub.

Alexx

Good morning.

Unfortunately there are some delays, the dealer called me, the pair of KefR3 Meta speakers he had ordered sold the same day (I didn't have time to compare them with mine).

The others should arrive in June, for the moment I can't decide, I could order them without listening and in the meantime sell my R3.......

Have any of you had a chance to listen these days?
Thank you.

nygafre

Good morning.

Unfortunately there are some delays, the dealer called me, the pair of KefR3 Meta speakers he had ordered sold the same day (I didn't have time to compare them with mine).

The others should arrive in June, for the moment I can't decide, I could order them without listening and in the meantime sell my R3.......

Have any of you had a chance to listen these days?
Thank you.
I wrote some of my subjective impressions on R3 vs R3 Meta on page 14 in the thread.

I preferred the R3 Metas in my home/system, mainly because I found them ‘better’ straight from the box - I’m not using room correction/EQ during my normal listening, which was something I found improved the R3s quite a bit in my setup (dirac live).

Though choice to upgrade to the new model or not. A lot of value in both.

Alexx

@Nygafre:A thousand thanks.

Do you find that even the "Meta" series is balanced on the mid-high frequencies like the old R3s?

I can't stand loudspeakers with the treble pushed too far and with the sibilant "C" "S" - "Z" that drill the ears!

As a color I really like "special edition" Blu Indigo only the golden mid/tweeter maybe it's too flashy they could have made that blue too.

Thanks again, I'll update you on what I'll do soon.

nygafre

I don't want to make too many subjective statements, since both speakers are so good. Personally, I found the Metas slightly more 'extended'/or balanced(?) in higher frequencies, like I mentioned with some sounds/frequencies standing more out on my test-tracks.. the impression is more clarity in some HF. I have not experienced any harshness or sibilance at any time, like I have noticed with my other Dali and Amphion speakers (still like them though). The R3 M sounds very balanced to my ears. I am however not sure if it is worth the upgrade (cost vs incremental gains).. maybe others can answer that better.

I guess this would be more useful with measurements provided. Other members on the forum are much more knowledgeable/technical about this than me, so please take my opinions with a grain of salt :)

I liked the Blue Indigo too.. I got the black gloss version, but sometimes I think about the blue one :')

Last edited:

regan

I preferred the R3 Metas in my home/system, mainly because I found them ‘better’ straight from the box - I’m not using room correction/EQ during my normal listening, which was something I found improved the R3s quite a bit in my setup (dirac live).
1. Would you say there's no significant difference between R3+dirac and R3 Meta?
2. Did you try dirac on meta and tried to compare with dirac r3?

kolestonin

The others should arrive in June, for the moment I can't decide, I could order them without listening and in the meantime sell my R3......
It seems there some availability(or distribution) issues?
I was supposed to receive the speakers this week but my dealer informed me that they will arrive at him next week.
He mentioned something about KEF having some problems due to the new software they had from SAP(?).
I don't have any clues on what he meant though, or if he wanted to blame the manufacturer for his delay.

Last time I checked most european e-shops were giving an estimated delivery of 2 weeks.

thegeton

Forum Donor
It seems there some availability(or distribution) issues?
I was supposed to receive the speakers this week but my dealer informed me that they will arrive at him next week.
He mentioned something about KEF having some problems due to the new software they had from SAP(?).
I don't have any clues on what he meant though, or if he wanted to blame the manufacturer for his delay.

Last time I checked most european e-shops were giving an estimated delivery of 2 weeks.

Buy direct from KEF, that's what I did when I purchased my R3 Metas. Best price available at the time and no sales tax.

Top Bottom