• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Meta - Review & Measurements by Erin

LeonidKogan

Are these speakers suitable for nearfield listening? I'm currently using LS50M on IsoAcoustics stands on a desk with REL T/Zero in my 11m² room, thanks to REW I was finally able to achieve very clean bass output. I'm happy with that setup, but I just saw R3 Meta on discount for $1500/pr which is a fantastic price. I wonder if it makes any sense to change in my circumstances?

muad

Are these speakers suitable for nearfield listening? I'm currently using LS50M on IsoAcoustics stands on a desk with REL T/Zero in my 11m² room, thanks to REW I was finally able to achieve very clean bass output. I'm happy with that setup, but I just saw R3 Meta on discount for $1500/pr which is a fantastic price. I wonder if it makes any sense to change in my circumstances?
That is a great deal! But not worth switching at your listening distance. The ls50m has exceptional directivity and is near perfect (other than a small crossover dip) if you don't need high SPL.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are these speakers suitable for nearfield listening?
I believe they are, had the KEF R3 and the LS50 as well as the LS50M.

I wonder if it makes any sense to change in my circumstances?
This is what you can expect, if you EQ both to smooth in room response:
newplot(2).png

You get lower distortion, higher max SPL and deeper bass with the R3M. I think i wouldn't do it, unless you get a good amount for your LS50M back.

VikingMD

Where can you get that price? That's an excellent deal.

LeonidKogan

I believe they are, had the KEF R3 and the LS50 as well as the LS50M.
How would you compare them? Are there any differences if I have a sub? What was your listening distance?
@VikingMD I think it's a general sale in most stores in Poland. I don't think I really need them atm but I guess I might just order them and give them a try. I wonder how do they compare to Genelecs 8040+/Neumann KH120/150?
@VikingMD I thought it was a promo but now I can see this price has been in Poland since November 2023.

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How would you compare them?
I only compared the LS50 and LS50M against each other, couldn't hear a difference after EQ.
The R3 was pretty much perfect, but i sold them in the hopes to get a white pair eventually. Nothing so far for the price i want.

Are there any differences if I have a sub?
Yes, you get more boom in both cases. However, you can get away without a sub in case of the R3, if you have to and your room gain is good.

What was your listening distance?
3m and maybe 1m.

Last edited:

VikingMD

How would you compare them? Are there any differences if I have a sub? What was your listening distance?
@VikingMD I think it's a general sale in most stores in Poland. I don't think I really need them atm but I guess I might just order them and give them a try. I wonder how do they compare to Genelecs 8040+/Neumann KH120/150?
@VikingMD I thought it was a promo but now I can see this price has been in Poland since November 2023.
Ahh still $2200 in the US.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The R3 are deeper so make sure they fit .

One advantage is the 3 way configuration no IMD from large cone movement of the midrange cone .

You migth not need the TZero ( or need a bigger sub ) The R3 themself s migth have more/better/deeper bass.
They are tuned quite deep with a bass shelf that migth be beneficial in your kind of placement .

Basreflex port in the backside .

I use. TZero III with my LSXII btw .

Top Bottom