• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef LS60 wireless review by ErinsAudioCorner

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Anecdotally, and from personal experience, a company selling as widely as KEF does is scarred by past customer service experiences and doesn't believe their customers will do anything but cause problems if they provide PEQ.

When you consider the unenlightened masses of audiophiles who think DSP is a 4-letter word, maybe this POV makes sense.

That said, I think 1) The LS60 definitely has enough CPU onboard to provide a few bands of PEQ for us and 2) the general public is getting a bit savvier to DSP as time goes on. ASR and the Crinacle / IEM types are spreading knowledge pretty fast.

So I tend to agree that they ought to ship a firmware and app that enable as many bands of PEQ as they can muster. If WiiM can do it at $60 what's KEF's excuse at $5000?

It would save me a hell of a lot of trouble if I could do room correction in the KEF app instead of setting up a whole outboard DSP unit just to do 10 or 20 bands of EQ.
I agree. And as in many other softwares, KEF could „hide“ the PEQ features in an Advanced Menu with a respective disclaimer up front.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well that just goes to show how valuable subjective opinions are. I actually first noticed them as I thought KEF had stepped it up in terms of aesthetics. Said with no edge, just to be clear.
Oh interesting. I guess a lot of people think like you gentlemen. Well, for what it is worth, I don't know how it performs but I do like the Reference with a floating tweeter much better frankly - looks like it was inspired by the Nautilus maybe? In any case, with its skinny profile from the front and a "tiny" off-center speaker, LS60 really looks ugly to me.

Last edited:

GA16SE

Maybe, if KEF kept the same cabinet form as for Blade speakers, which was inspired by Brancusi’s “Bird in Space”, there would’ve been no complaints that LS60 speakers are ugly. However, I think that bird-in-space form couldn’t provide enough space for DSP and amplifiers.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Maybe, if KEF kept the same cabinet form as for Blade speakers, which was inspired by Brancusi’s “Bird in Space”, there would’ve been no complaints that LS60 speakers are ugly. However, I think that bird-in-space form couldn’t provide enough space for DSP and amplifiers.
There will always be people who find it ugly but that type of discussion or post is pretty pointless to begin with regardless of the speaker and design as beauty is always a matter of individual tastes.

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
When you consider the unenlightened masses of audiophiles who think DSP is a 4-letter word, maybe this POV makes sense.
Kef could (and should) make an expert/audiophile option with many more controls. That way unexperienced users just can stay comfortable with basic controls.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I guess it depends what one means with "lifestyle". The LS60 is all-in-one product with small footprint and looks that don't hurt the eyes of the people who are not into more traditional towers, not to mention all the extra boxes and remotes that come with them. I wonder if the people in KEF themselves think that the raison d'etre of LS60 is performance. Nothing wrong with a lifestyle product if it performs well enough.

The reduced price changes the equation a bit though. At 7k, compared to more traditional 2,.2 passive setup with room correction you are certainly paying for lifestyle features, but at 5k it's starting to sound like good value for money.
I haven’t compared the LS60’s to passive designs ( for the very best reason I don’t have any here at the moment ) but I did compare to the LS50 wireless II with the KC62 sub, obviously they were similar but the LS60s I thought just had the edge in that they delivered a more coherent sound, more together, bass was tighter imaging is the best I have heard alongside Genelec.
I agree regarding the PEQ, I think I have already recounted my Kii/BXT episode I sent the system all the way up to Skye the guy said they gave him an instant headache, when they returned he had literally turned off the bass all of it !
The KII U.K. distributor used to not mention their PEQ function even to his retailers!
Keith

GA16SE

There will always be people who find it ugly but that type of discussion or post is pretty pointless to begin with regardless of the speaker and design as beauty is always a matter of individual tastes.
In other words, “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”.:)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I agree. And as in many other softwares, KEF could „hide“ the PEQ features in an Advanced Menu with a respective disclaimer up front.

Use at own risk. PEQ unlocking is irreversible and warranty for driver and/or amplifier failure is voided.

1702720215630.jpeg

destroyed kef.jpg

kef ls50 blown 03.jpg

Internet pics of blown KEFs...

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Great to see the LS60 perform so well. I have a pair since 3 weeks in my living room setup, love them. Love their neutral honest sound, great stereo imaging, built quality. Lots of bass (waaaaay more than Kef R5).

I think they go loud enough, I really never feel this is a problem. Certainly go loud enough to damage your ears.

Temporary “chistmas tree is in the room” setup.
Erin makes a vary fair point about SPL: beyond 3 meters, they may be not loud enough.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Erin makes a vary fair point about SPL: beyond 3 meters, they may be not loud enough.

KEFs have always been a bit low on the continuous SPL capability, right from the early days to even now. Fine for small UK rooms and low powered amplifiers, but not big rooms, big-ass power amps and American/Australian tastes in level, music, beer, friends and BBQs.

Sure, great for Grandpa in the conservatory listening to Schubert, tending his orchids, enjoying a taster plate of seared salt and pepper squid and a nice chilled glass of Chablis, but not Billy-Bob down south with his mates, drinking bourbon in the games room, playing ZZ Top.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
KEFs have always been a bit low on the continuous SPL capability, right from the early days to even now. Fine for small UK rooms and low powered amplifiers, but not big rooms, big-ass power amps and American/Australian tastes in level, music, beer, friends and BBQs.

Sure, great for Grandpa in the conservatory listening to Schubert, tending his orchids, enjoying a taster plate of seared salt and pepper squid and a nice chilled glass of Chablis, but not Billy-Bob down south with his mates, drinking bourbon in the games room, playing ZZ Top.
That is not inherent to KEF (See Blade or Reference 5 with ca 116dB, sure if that is still too low for you than look elsewhere and get a hearing aid ;-) )

In simple words, as you know very well, generally: Smaller speakers lower SPL, big towers more SPL regardless if it is KEF, JBL, Genelec or whatever manufacturer

Vacceo

Major Contributor
The bass is adjustable of course , I like them the Kii Three has been mentioned and they aren’t at all dissimilar imho.
Labelling them a ‘lifestyle’ speaker is really a disservice, if KEF made an active version of the blade would that be labelled ‘lifestyle’ ?
Keith
I always wonder what makes a speaker "lifestyle".

Or for a dude like me in his small apartment in Southern Europe listening to some Godflesh. ;)

I got the LS50 WII at the living room. For a listening position a bit less than 2m away, they are perfectly capable. I guess the 60's would be even less constrained.

Last edited:

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
Yes it is limited and everyone should make their own choice. For me, they are loud enough. I have them limited at 75% max. volume and at that level I think they can play unpleasant loud at 4,5 meters.

But listening volume, tastes and needs vary, I can understand that for a friday evening with friends and beer in a large room, they probably won’t be enough.

Try it out at a local dealer.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
They are nothing to do with the fairly limited range of adjustment the KEF app provides,

What are the VC formers made of in KEF's dual concentrics these days Keith?

Last edited:

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
It’s a derogatory term, as if these speakers are only about looks or ease of use.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Some sweeping curves, minimalist design bereft of useful indicators, legends and controls, along with a dreamy soft focus, neutral coloured brochure/marketing campaign containing one or more somewhat attractive women looking wistfully out the widow while holding their iPhone or reading a random healthfood magazine, half-sitting on a designer low-backed sofa, with a chocolate labrador at their feet and a cafe latte (in a white cup) on the side table.

Top Bottom