• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef LS60 wireless review by ErinsAudioCorner

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Some sweeping curves, minimalist design bereft of useful indicators, legends and controls, along with a dreamy soft focus, neutral coloured brochure/marketing campaign containing one or more somewhat attractive women looking wistfully out the widow while holding their iPhone or reading a random healthfood magazine, half-sitting on a designer low-backed sofa, with a chocolate labrador at their feet and a cafe latte (in a white cup) on the side table.
As opposed to an unshaven dude sitting outside in his dirty undies on an empty beer case with a nearly empty whiskey bottle in his hand broiling half a cow on an oil barrel bbq while having an old boombox at full volume blaring nearby.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Some sweeping curves, minimalist design bereft of useful indicators, legends and controls, along with a dreamy soft focus, neutral coloured brochure/marketing campaign containing one or more somewhat attractive women looking wistfully out the widow while holding their iPhone or reading a random healthfood magazine, half-sitting on a designer low-backed sofa, with a chocolate labrador at their feet and a cafe latte (in a white cup) on the side table.
Then it's easy to change them! Just play some Gospel of the Horns (yeah, I like Australian bands too!) and they will suddenly become boom boxes!

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Their looks will determine their fate sadly.
In my crystal ball I see 90% of them put right on the corners of a room for their 95% of the time waiting for the spouses to be away for trips or shopping so they come forward for a while.
KEF's marketing is admittedly smart,I'll give them that.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
As opposed to an unshaven dude sitting outside in his dirty undies on an empty beer case with a nearly empty whiskey bottle in his hand broiling half a cow on an oil barrel bbq while having an old boombox at full volume blaring nearby.

It gives me an idea for a thread...

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
What are the VC formers made of in KEF's dual concentrics these days Keith?
What are the VC formers made of in KEF's dual concentrics these days Keith?
John I don’t know but I can ask, quite an interesting history of their coax’s here,

Keith

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Kef LS60 Wireless
Preference Score is 7.6
Preference Score wSub is 8.1
F3 is 22 hz
Technically the Preference Score is even higher than the Blade 1 Meta, their flagship (other than Muon that is).
Tonality: 7.5
Bass extension: 24Hz

Though Blade 1 Meta should be better suited for higher SPLs due to its 4 x 9" side woofers, for 7x the price. :)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Technically the Preference Score is even higher than the Blade 1 Meta, their flagship (other than Muon that is).
Tonality: 7.5
Bass extension: 24Hz

Though Blade 1 Meta should be better suited for higher SPLs due to its 4 x 9" side woofers, for 7x the price. :)
I forgot to quote you before, but I like to see that I´m not the only one missing the capacity to go multichnnel on the LS. Add Dirac support and decoding for a "lifestyle" home, living room size, theatre. ;)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
John I don’t know but I can ask

The tweeter voice coil former and the woofer voice coil former construction, Keith. :)

I have no idea what they use now, but that graphic (perhaps deliberately deceptive with omissions for commercial IP purposes) shows no tweeter VC former and who-knows-what for the woofer. Could be aluminium, brass, kapton or even paper/cardboard. Philips used paper for decades. Even Yamaha used pulp based formers for years in the pursuit of less moving mass (but way more failed drivers). These days, everyone uses some high tech former, but they run up against physics.

Formers, material choices, tolerances and construction all determine how much heat can be dissipated into the magnetic structure on a long term basis. Something companies like JBL got right many decades ago.

1702727419272.png

People are buying super powerful amplifiers these days. 200wpc is hardly 'high power' in 2023. And speakers are less efficient. The power has to go somewhere when you run the system hard and many of these wonderful sounding KEFs just can't absorb the dissipation required.

It's true of a lot of small to medium loudspeakers and not a criticism, just an observation.

And @Purité Audio - Keith, have a great Christmas, you are always an excellent member of ASR.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Thank you John you too, I did look for the actual material but nothing jumped out, re the speakers yes I remember years ago once the speakers reached a certain level the distortion was so bad that you didn’t want to turn them up any more!
Here in London population density is extremely high, you have to generally move much further out to own a detached house so you just have to curtail listening levels, designs such as the KEFs are pretty much ideal for ‘most’ urban dwellers , small rooms, close proximity to the neighbours and the avoidance of early profound deafness!
Very Best,
Keith

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Use at own risk. PEQ unlocking is irreversible and warranty for driver and/or amplifier failure is voided.

View attachment 334673

View attachment 334674

View attachment 334675
Internet pics of blown KEFs...
I hope those are all passive, any competent active should protect itself from such abuse. PEQ and passive speakers is open to all sort of issues, and the manufacturers have no control over it, but in an active they have complete control to prevent damage, so it's the right environment to offer it.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
The tweeter voice coil former and the woofer voice coil former construction, Keith. :)

I have no idea what they use now, but that graphic (perhaps deliberately deceptive with omissions for commercial IP purposes) shows no tweeter VC former and who-knows-what for the woofer. Could be aluminium, brass, kapton or even paper/cardboard. Philips used paper for decades. Even Yamaha used pulp based formers for years in the pursuit of less moving mass (but way more failed drivers). These days, everyone uses some high tech former, but they run up against physics.

Formers, material choices, tolerances and construction all determine how much heat can be dissipated into the magnetic structure on a long term basis. Something companies like JBL got right many decades ago.

View attachment 334697

People are buying super powerful amplifiers these days. 200wpc is hardly 'high power' in 2023. And speakers are less efficient. The power has to go somewhere when you run the system hard and many of these wonderful sounding KEFs just can't absorb the dissipation required.

It's true of a lot of small to medium loudspeakers and not a criticism, just an observation.

And @Purité Audio - Keith, have a great Christmas, you are always an excellent member of ASR.
I think we have established, that the KEFs are not for the "drink till you drop strippers galore parties...."

The blown drivers you showed previously belong to the small passive speakers and of course one can blow any tweeter as you know best with either too much power or too little (clipping) when clumsilily or drunkenly operating the volume knob (see this recent unfortunate gentleman https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...-wharfedale-diamond-12-2-vs-yamaha-amp.50477/)

However, this thread is about the LS60 (or the LS50 ii wireless), which are active and I strongly presume that KEF limits their output electronically to 106dB max for the exact same reason you pointed out before - to protect their coax from overload (btw. they do a similar thing for their woofers in the LS60 and their subs (KC62, KF92, Reference8b), but more for distortion control). So does Genelec (Ones), Neumann, ... and any other self-respecting active speaker / sub-woofer designer.

Sure of course, if you built any coax, real estate is limited and therefore heat dissipation when comparing to non-coax single tweeters, but non-coax speakers have other disadvantages. So simply a matter of engineering choice and as long as it is transparent (see KEF web) people can make an informed buying decision.

I own neither one of the above, but I havent blown my Reference 3/KF92 yet, but I am not having any "party till the break of dawn parties" either any more.

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor

View attachment 334697

From the KEF speakers I have and have owned, they typically use aluminium. I don´t know it that applies to the LS60´s, though.

How do I unsubscribe before the thread is created? You cannot unsee things, however much you might want to.
Naaah. John typically draws a smile from me on his posts; whatever he brings, I´ll probably laugh. :)

Sokel

Master Contributor
I think we have established, that the KEFs are not for the "drink till you drop strippers galore parties...."

The blown drivers you showed previously belong to the small passive speakers and of course one can blow any tweeter as you know best with either too much power or too little (clipping) when clumsilily or drunkenly operating the volume knob.

However, this thread is about the LS60 (or the LS50 ii wireless), which are active and I strongly presume that KEF limits their output electronically to 106dB max for the exact same reason you pointed out before - to protect their coax from overload (btw. they do a similar thing for their woofers in the LS60 and their subs (KC62, KF92, Reference8b), but more for distortion control). So does Genelec (Ones), Neumann, ... and any other self-respecting active speaker / sub-woofer designer.

Sure of course, if you built any coax, real estate is limited and therefore heat dissipation when comparing to non-coax single tweeters, but non-coax speakers have other disadvantages. So simply a matter of engineering choice and as long as it is transparent, people can make an informed buying choice.

I own neither one of the above, but I havent blown my Reference 3/KF92 yet, but I am not having any "party till the break of dawn parties" either any more.
So,from all that I read classical should listened at about 75-80db SPL average tops with LP @3 meters on these,I'm I right?

Sokel

Master Contributor
I dont know, watch Erin´s video or ask @Purité Audio or even better @jackocleebrown
I did watch it and I listened to Erin saying about 99db at 1 meter real SPL (so not enough for classical peaks) despite what KEF specs and most importantly that a sub wouldn't help either so they would go louder.
Fair enough in my book if the data is there for all to see.

Top Bottom