• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Sure but that's possible with any LAN-connected devices, wired or wireless. One still needs the ability to route the appropriate channels to the appropriate addresses (speakers) and that can be handled in many ways. One is with a host running WiSA but, of course, is it limited to 8 channels at the moment (and that's OK with me, btw). I'd prefer all the DSP and distribution to be in an app hosted by my streamer and the target speakers, such as Dante or Ravenna or whatever. Having the DSP in each speaker seems, to me, to be a nightmare for control and integration as well as for the potential for the app to be compatible with multiple brands of speakers.
Well, that could be the task of a dedicated hub in the case of KEF, so it´d be a semi-closed system. Otherwise, it´d be up to WiSa to expand to full home theatre capabilities.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Well, that could be the task of a dedicated hub in the case of KEF, so it´d be a semi-closed system.
Such systems, even semi-closed, limit flexibility. WiSA (and, also, AES-67 systems) have that potential for the domestic user.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Such systems, even semi-closed, limit flexibility. WiSA (and, also, AES-67 systems) have that potential for the domestic user.
Bottom line is that I´d have no issue getting a set of 11 active speakers and forget about a couple of boxes. I was theorizing a workaround while WiSa gets there. :D

I like the fact that going active allows possibilities that passive speakers do not allow. This very thread is an example of that.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I´m glad to see I´m not the only potential user waiting to get into something like that. Luckily, the professionals also take a look around this forum, so it´s not like yelling in the desert. :)

Battlebeast

Gosh, we get it - some of you think there is "no replacement for displacement" and aren't open to understanding the science here or reading the white paper. That's fine, move on. Also please stop bemoaning speakers designed with DSP being necessary as not having a passive option. DSP enables this speaker to exist and perform well. If you don't like it - Kef has plenty of other speakers for you... This is something different that doesn't exist in the market today. Kef should be praised for taking bold steps and doing something different.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This highlights some limitations of current “audio standards” wisa tries to be it , but it’s not enough. It should exist an ubiquitous “digital speakers connection protocol” that everything can use .

In the meantime the only universal standard is simply the analog inputs, this is less of problem than audiophiles In general think it is.

In a lot of studious the active monitors are fully DSP but used by their analog inputs and no one has problem with that.

It’s seems to be a hard sell on audiophiles to accept an extra AD/DA step , even if that is transparent to humans , but a passive xover is not ? Extra paradox points that manufacturers has been complicit in creating this culture where everything’s matters except what really matters.

Kudos to KEF for trying to break these conventions with yet another fantastic design .

Btw “closes system” I have a Meridian system that’s what it is , a total dead end , not buying that again .

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
This highlights some limitations of current “audio standards” wisa tries to be it , but it’s not enough. It should exist an ubiquitous “digital speakers connection protocol” that everything can use .
I recall a CES off-site demo of IP-addressable loudspeakers almost 20 years ago. Today, it is a no-brainer. Now, add a multichannel control/routing protocol......
Btw “closes system” I have a Meridian system that’s what it is , a total dead end , not buying that again .
Yup. Been there, done that.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s can be this speakers best feature, the analog inputs :) it means when all apps and services have failed it can still be used as just a speaker. It’s not a bad thing .
And the spdif and coax inputs is also very good , that’s probably how I would use this speaker if I bought one and they may also prove as resilient as analog inputs .

I fondly remeber tv’s with “built in set top box” no need for an external cable tv box , just put your card directly in to the tv , two years later there is a box . Then we had smart tv I have one it can do some services , but we have an Apple TV now .

I expect speakers to last about 15 years , by then everything has changed again :) so a sh*t load of connectivity is very good in a product like this some will prove usable down the road and the speakers will perform acoustically as they do now , but with added clutter of the future, not perfect but workable.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
There is also no reason why a user shouldn´t be able to plug a phono stage and enjoy the vinyls in the system. Same goes for a tape deck (as weird as that may be in this age).

On the part of extra components, I couldn´t care less: sound is sound. If active allows the device to be smaller, easier to integrate due to lack of ports and at the same time I can get rid of the boxes with funky leds, so be it.

I´m honestly not pulling the trigger on these speakers (and I do love Kef speakers) simply because I cannot see a clear path for multichannel that covers the previous cases.

Battlebeast

Long time former member of that "other" forum that proclaims science
Anyway, currently thoroughly enjoying a kef front with q750 and q650.

Once my oldest finishes school and moves out I will be turning one of 2 rooms into a music room. They are between 1400 and 1600 cubes.

I will be purchasing the ls60s for this purpose. I love my 750s for music and these seem to be leagues ahead. Looking forward to some reviews and owner reports.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Unfortunately no measurements yet! Erin or Amir please

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I recall a CES off-site demo of IP-addressable loudspeakers almost 20 years ago. Today, it is a no-brainer. Now, add a multichannel control/routing protocol......

Yup. Been there, done that.
I´m very, very unfamiliar with the case of Kii speakers, but don´t they use RJ45 jacks too? I know Genelecs do, but that may be only for room correction.

I´m asking you because chances are you have tested both sets. On the part of IP adress, absolutely! I wonder why no AV or speaker manufacturer has taken the step to create such control module or protocol.

To me, going cat6 (or more) is a stupendous idea as those cables are ubiquitous and can be routed in a myriad of ways.

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I´m very, very unfamiliar with the case of Kii speakers, but don´t they use RJ45 jacks too?
They do, but only for speaker to speaker Comms, and speaker to control, they are not networked.

The 8c has Ethernet, that roon works with.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
They do, but only for speaker to speaker Comms, and speaker to control, they are not networked.

The 8c has Ethernet, that roon works with.
So in theory, the could be connected to a hub to manage sources, codecs, correction and so on, right?

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So in theory, the could be connected to a hub to manage sources, codecs, correction and so on, right?
They claim that all sorts of streaming features are on the way, but as they took literally years to get Roon working I wouldn't hold your breath.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
They claim that all sorts of streaming features are on the way, but as they took literally years to get Roon working I wouldn't hold your breath.
I´m not. I´d rather expect KEF to develop further products along the lines of active systems simply because they are a larger manufacturer.

Mr. Putzeys is an outstanding engineer, indeed, but Dr. Oclee Brown is equally talented and backed up by a well-developed, well-stablioshed manufacturer.

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I´m not. I´d rather expect KEF to develop further products along the lines of active systems simply because they are a larger manufacturer.

Mr. Putzeys is an outstanding engineer, indeed, but Dr. Oclee Brown is equally talented and backed up by a well-developed, well-stablioshed manufacturer.
I was talking about the Dutch and Dutch 8c.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, as I understand it they could support lots of different things, if the software development will was there.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Unfortunately no measurements yet! Erin or Amir please

Reviews? A better summary of the user manual and some web pictures garnered with a lot of meaningless adjectives. How can anyone base a purchase decision on that? :facepalm:

Sorry not your fault. You are just the messenger. :)

Top Bottom