• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Speaker)

JoostE

Got a great price on black friday as well, they are on my desk now in nearfield :)

I already own a singxer-SA1 which i can use as pre-amp. Advice on what to use as power amplifier combined with the Singxer and LS50M?

Was thinking about 2nd hand linn or hypex nc252. The linn k85 is sold pretty cheaply 2nd hand but i don't know if that is powerful enough. Ncore amps are pretty rare 2nd hand it seems

wavetrade

Got a great price on black friday as well, they are on my desk now in nearfield :)

I already own a singxer-SA1 which i can use as pre-amp. Advice on what to use as power amplifier combined with the Singxer and LS50M?

Was thinking about 2nd hand linn or hypex nc252. The linn k85 is sold pretty cheaply 2nd hand but i don't know if that is powerful enough. Ncore amps are pretty rare 2nd hand it seems
I picked up a pair on sale as well. I was running them on a Ncx500 amp but ended up moving them into my bedroom with a PA5 II.They still sound great on the lower power amp.

G-Can

how are you liking them nearfield, thats what Im interested in. But Im looking to get used original LS50, but cant find original review from Amir here, search brings up milion of posts, none to review.

staticV3

Master Contributor
how are you liking them nearfield, thats what Im interested in. But Im looking to get used original LS50, but cant find original review from Amir here, search brings up milion of posts, none to review.
Here's Amir's review of the LS50:

Edit: here are appropriate search settings that lead you straight to his review:
Screenshot_20231215-042909.jpg

JoostE

So far they are great. Havent put much time in setting them up perfectly yet (they are not on a stand or anything yet). The bass, for nearfield, is far better than i expected. I dont think I am going to add a sub anytime soon.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
ChatGPT 3.5 analysis shows:

Summary:
The review discusses the KEF LS50 Meta speaker, mentioning its positive aspects like precise imaging, focus, and a unique oval-shaped soundstage. The speaker's frequency response, positioning recommendations, and potential need for a subwoofer are also discussed. The reviewer notes a slight dip in the 2-3 kHz range affecting attack and clarity but suggests a possible remedy through equalization. The data includes impedance, directivity, distortion, and speaker matching information. Overall, the speaker is praised for its performance, especially considering its current price of $1,000 per pair.

Actionable steps:
1. **Consider Equalization:** If you find the KEF LS50 Meta lacking in attack or clarity, consider experimenting with equalization. The reviewer suggests adding about 2 dB around the 2-3 kHz range to potentially enhance these aspects.

2. **Optimal Positioning:** Experiment with speaker positioning. The reviewer found that placing the speakers about 6 inches off the wall and aiming them at a 15-degree angle provided the best balance of sound. Adjusting the placement might improve bass response and overall performance.

3. **Subwoofer Integration:** Since the KEF LS50 Meta may roll off below 50 Hz, consider adding a subwoofer for a more solid and impactful low-frequency response. This is especially relevant if you enjoy listening at higher volumes.

4. **Check for Discounts:** If interested in purchasing the KEF LS50 Meta, check for discounts or sales. The reviewer mentions a current price of $1,000 per pair (as of December 19, 2023), which could be a good deal.

5. **Explore Affiliate Link:** If considering a purchase, explore the reviewer's audio advice affiliate link. Using this link may not only support the reviewer but also indicate your appreciation to the affiliated company.

6. **Join Patreon:** To support the reviewer directly, consider joining their Patreon community. This can be a way to show appreciation for the content and contribute to future reviews.

Remember, these steps are based on the context of the KEF LS50 Meta speaker review and the recommendations made by the reviewer.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting how Erin's sample has a clear dip around 2.5 kHz while Amir's has more ups and downs around 1-2 kHz.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’m really surprised by how high Multi-tone distortion is even with a highpass. What’s that tweeter doing?
good point .. i think Erin skirted some issues that are a bit obvious, the high distortion being one, however he did point out rightfully that it's a small driver... overall i think it's an ok entry at $1000 , at $1600 i'll pass...even at $1000 who wouldn't order a sierra 1 v2 blind over this?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
good point .. i think Erin skirted some issues that are a bit obvious, the high distortion being one,

Or maybe loudspeaker distortion isn’t actually that important until things go really haywire.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Or maybe loudspeaker distortion isn’t actually that important until things go really haywire.
it looked pretty "haywire" to me compared to other like priced recent review's....but i digress:).. it's obviously a decent choice at $1000...

dfuller

Major Contributor
I’m really surprised by how high Multi-tone distortion is even with a highpass. What’s that tweeter doing?
Some of that is just a side effect of coax designs, and it's worse with a 2-way than a 3-way by quite a bit. You will inevitably get some intermodulation from the midwoofer effectively acting as the tweeter waveguide.
It isn't, until it is. Personally I'm pretty sensitive to speaker distortion just because I'm so familiar with how it sounds -IME, they'll start to sound a little boxy, for lack of a better term, before it actually sounds crunchy. These hit the level where I notice it (~2-3%) at relatively moderate levels, with the right program material (bass heavy pop for example). The vast majority however would not notice it, it's not particularly obvious unless you already know what those artifacts sound like.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
good point .. i think Erin skirted some issues that are a bit obvious, the high distortion being one, however he did point out rightfully that it's a small driver... overall i think it's an ok entry at $1000 , at $1600 i'll pass...even at $1000 who wouldn't order a sierra 1 v2 blind over this?

Aesthetically this shits over the sierra tbh. It will probably be my next purchase.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of that is just a side effect of coax designs, and it's worse with a 2-way than a 3-way by quite a bit. You will inevitably get some intermodulation from the midwoofer effectively acting as the tweeter waveguide.

It isn't, until it is. Personally I'm pretty sensitive to speaker distortion just because I'm so familiar with how it sounds -IME, they'll start to sound a little boxy, for lack of a better term, before it actually sounds crunchy. These hit the level where I notice it (~2-3%) at relatively moderate levels, with the right program material (bass heavy pop for example). The vast majority however would not notice it, it's not particularly obvious unless you already know what those artifacts sound like.

The Mofi 8 inch or the 10 inch didn’t really show similar levels.

Sure the surface area is doubled plus but at least i expected the highpass to do something.

dfuller

Major Contributor
The Mofi 8 inch or the 10 inch didn’t really show similar levels.

Sure the surface area is doubled plus but at least i expected the highpass to do something.
Like I said, some of it. Other bits are compromise elsewhere, but I'm not familiar enough with KEF to say where that would be.

Top Bottom