• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ls50 meta alternatives - life after VR-1

gordinho

Hi,

I currently listen on a pair of Von Schweikert VR-1 I bought used over two decades ago. I took an hiatus from stereo listening due to life happening and I've been recently enjoying the amazing sound you can get so cheaply.

I've been thinking about listening to new stuff in the speaker arena and the ls50 metas keep getting mentioned as well as R3. I'll be setting up pure 2.0 so I'm really tempted to find some R3 used for that bass extension.

Not a lot of stuff happening in Ottawa used scene so tempted to get kef ls50 meta on their current promotion but at the same time I always like to buy used.

Is there something else I should be looking at in the ~1.5-2k CAD? Sorry for rambling but most of the online discussions are very subjective and I was wondering if you folks had some good tips based on your data driven testing :)

TSX

I'm really tempted to find some R3 used for that bass extension.
I had the opportunity to try the R3 (non meta) over the new year holiday. They are quite a big (book shelf) speaker, and the high gloss finish (the speakers were black), was a deal breaker for me, as it reflects the backside led on my tv like a firework. They sound ok, but I couldn’t really tell a difference between them, and my 20+ year old DLS R55 floor standers. If you like what you got, then save your money for travel or other life experience, and just listen to music. The grass ain’t greener on the other side I can assure you.

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
've been thinking about listening to new stuff in the speaker arena and the ls50 metas keep getting mentioned as well as R3. I'll be setting up pure 2.0 so I'm really tempted to find some R3 used for that bass extension.
Some people complain about lack of bass with the LS50 metas.

The R3s rank very high in the index posted by gsp1971. They were on sale over the holidays for around $1,000/pair if I remember correctly, but KEF now lists them as currently sold out. They have been replaced by the R3 meta, so stock on the non-metas may be drying up - it may be difficult to still get them at a good price.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
@gsp1971 pointed you towards a good starting list. Most importantly don’t listen to what other people like or don’t like when they listened to speakers. It only applies to them, to their preference, their biases, their room, their hearing capabilities etc. what you like will certainly be different so try to listen to your choice of speakers at home whenever possible.

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Filter for passive speakers, sort by Score or Score w/sub and you have a list to get your research started.

GS
It is important to understand that that score assumes you now have two speakers which go down to 20hz, not truly the results of a typical sub addition.

If your integration is not top notch(via measuring and a DSP crossover), your results may be quite worse than the score would imply.

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
If your integration is not top notch(via measuring and a DSP crossover), your results may be quite worse than the score would imply.
The OP won't need an external crossover unless using a subwoofer. From the post I did not get the impression that he was.

Nonetheless, if the OP is using a subwoofer, what you said about measuring and a DSP crossover is spot on.

OP
G

gordinho

I had the opportunity to try the R3 (non meta) over the new year holiday. They are quite a big (book shelf) speaker, and the high gloss finish (the speakers were black), was a deal breaker for me, as it reflects the backside led on my tv like a firework. They sound ok, but I couldn’t really tell a difference between them, and my 20+ year old DLS R55 floor standers. If you like what you got, then save your money for travel or other life experience, and just listen to music. The grass ain’t greener on the other side I can assure you.
I totally get your point.. in my mind I would get something new to try out and compare. Thanks for reminding me of the R3 size and aesthetics, I don't think it would go very well with my living room either.

Reactions: TSX
OP
G

gordinho

The OP won't need an external crossover unless using a subwoofer. From the post I did not get the impression that he was.

Nonetheless, if the OP is using a subwoofer, what you said about measuring and a DSP crossover is spot on.
No sub, just pure stereo bliss :)

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
I totally get your point.. in my mind I would get something new to try out and compare. Thanks for reminding me of the R3 size and aesthetics, I don't think it would go very well with my living room either.
Take adavantage of the promotion to sample the sound of the LS50 Meta. A 2004 Audioholics review of your loudspeaker said it had tight bass to 70 Hz - if that is accurate, you may perceive more bass extension with the KEF LS50 Meta. But you may already own a very performant loudspeaker in the Van Schweikert VR-1 and the build quality looks superb. May I ask what color you have ?

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
The LS50 metas were on sale over the holidays ($999 I think), but it looks like the sale is over and they are back up to $1,599. Nonetheless, I just did a quick Google search and found some refurbished pairs for $899 and open box pairs for $999. I don't know whether those have a liberal return policy, though.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
The LS50 metas were on sale over the holidays ($999 I think), but it looks like the sale is over and they are back up to $1,599. Nonetheless, I just did a quick Google search and found some refurbished pairs for $899 and open box pairs for $999. I don't know whether those have a liberal return policy, though.
I believe the OP is from Ottawa - per the first post

Crutchfield Canada is currently showing a price of C$ 1,498.00 for the KEF LS50 Meta

EDIT - All colors of the KEF LS50 Meta are 'On backorder' at Crutchfield Canada

Last edited:
OP
G

gordinho

Take adavantage of the promotion to sample the sound of the LS50 Meta. A 2004 Audioholics review of your loudspeaker said it had tight bass to 70 Hz - if that is accurate, you may perceive more bass extension with the KEF LS50 Meta. But you may already own a very performant loudspeaker in the Van Schweikert VR-1 and the build quality looks superb. May I ask what color you have ?
My cursory view of the specs also led me to believe the ls50 meta would have a bit better bass representation. The system is pretty competent when it comes to bass in general, I love how snappy it sounds listening to vulfpeck stuff. It's just that yeah, you don't feel it as much of course.

My VR-1 are in African Hazelwood finish, they're beautiful.

OP
G

gordinho

I believe the OP is from Ottawa - per the first post

Crutchfield Canada is currently showing a price of C$ 1,498.00 for the KEF LS50 Meta

EDIT - All colors of the KEF LS50 Meta are 'On backorder' at Crutchfield Canada
Yeah, I live in the tundra :) I don't see any old stock of R3 anywhere. The ls50 meta promo is still possible to get directly from kef Canada it looks like.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
My cursory view of the specs also led me to believe the ls50 meta would have a bit better bass representation. The system is pretty competent when it comes to bass in general, I love how snappy it sounds listening to vulfpeck stuff. It's just that yeah, you don't feel it as much of course.

My VR-1 are in African Hazelwood finish, they're beautiful.
very very nice - think twice before parting with them

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Yeah, I live in the tundra :) I don't see any old stock of R3 anywhere. The ls50 meta promo is still possible to get directly from kef Canada it looks like.
It appears KEF Canada has 30-day return policy while Crutchfield Canada offers 60 days. I have no idea how much it would cost for insurance and shipping to and from Amir, but in an ideal world he would have time to measure your Van Schweikert VR-1 loudspeakers before the 60-day return window closes. As a self-identified woodworker, Amir would likely appreciate the disinctive veneer that wraps your loudspeakers

Midwest Blade

KEF and Revel have good year end sale prices so instead of pulling the trigger on a used or repack sale, just sit tight. If the need to seek out and hear some gear Montreal has a pretty good audio show from what we hear, no pun intended. Toronto also has some pretty good audio dealers as well. If not possible to make it that long, please make sure you buy with care and a good return policy.

Top Bottom