• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali LP-6 Review: Studio Monitor

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Nope
Behringer Truth B2031A
Sort of unsurprising, these are quite old (maybe even predating AES48-2005). Their A500 has the same issue.
To my untrained eyes it looks like that the balanced inputs aren't grounded immediately to the chassis (if at all) and I suppopse it might cause the problem if I have understood correctly what I have read around Teh Internets.
Just running a 3-wire cable to XLR/TRS jacks is making equipment construction and assembly easier and cheaper, which I suppose is why non AES48-2005 compliant construction has endured for so long in monitors. As a DIYer you've probably got it easier, you can just cut the existing pin 1 connection to audio ground and run a wire (preferably yellow/green) to IEC safety ground. Seems straightforward enough in the Behringers.

dgnzcn

I have been listening to these for a few days, although the volume is not too loud, I feel tired in my ears.
Are Kali LP-6s suitable for long time all-day listening to high quality music?

Last edited:

Rockfella

Forum Donor
I have been listening to these for a few days, although the volume is not too loud, I feel tired in my ears.
Are Kali LP-6s suitable for long time all-day listening to high quality music?
Yes I can listen to it for hours not all day though :)

dgnzcn

One question is, should I connect my Kali lp-6 with 1.5 meter XLR or RCA with topping L30 RCA connection output?
So, is it rca/rca or rca/xlr for 1.5 meters cable ?

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
One question is, should I connect my Kali lp-6 with 1.5 meter XLR or RCA with topping L30 RCA connection output?
So, is it rca/rca or rca/xlr for 1.5 meters cable ?
It won’t make a difference because unbalanced is the starting point. Use whatever cable you have.

dgnzcn

Likely no unless you really got those $1 cables with no isolation at all and you put a phone nearby it may catch some interference

Would you recommend a cable that can work inexpensively?

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Would you recommend a cable that can work inexpensively?
These RCA to Balanced, or these RCA to RCA.

I'd personally go with the RCA to RCA because they are always useful for some other connection you may need to swap them out with in the future.

dgnzcn

Does anyone among us think that the bass frequencies of Kali lp-6 are insufficient?
Do you think bass is enough?

And has anyone seen an effect of dip switches on the back of the speaker?

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Does anyone among us think that the bass frequencies of Kali lp-6 are insufficient?
Do you think bass is enough?

And has anyone seen an effect of dip switches on the back of the speaker?

I showed frequency response changes with the dipswitches in my review for AudioXpress. See Figure 4.

dgnzcn

I showed frequency response changes with the dipswitches in my review for AudioXpress. See Figure 4.
It was a thorough review, congratulations, but the bass is to me now not like bass but feels thin.

I also tried to raise the speakers to ear level, the mid and high frequencies were a little more alive, but the bass was still weak, I moved the speakers closer to the wall, away from the wall, but the bass was still weak, I tried with the switches at the back, nothing changed again.

Maybe I am making a mistake somewhere, being on the table may be the main source of the problem, I listen from a distance of 60 cm or 70 cm, the top of the speaker box coincides with my ears.I also tried to raise the speakers.

I installed a decibel meter on my phone and measured it from where I was listening, and it turned out to be 70 db, I usually listen at 70 db.

I want to love these speakers, but I haven't gotten a satisfying bass yet. Bass feels weak.

While listening to these, the bass does not increase when the triangles are formed with the speakers, but while listening, the bass increases when they form a single line.

Lastly, I think it might be related to my room, I don't know how much it affects.

Last edited:

KikoKentaurus

It was a thorough review, congratulations, but the bass is to me now not like bass but feels thin.
I want to love these speakers, but I haven't gotten a satisfying bass yet. Bass feels weak.

Bass traps 4 life!

IMG_20210411_224911.jpg

YSC

Major Contributor

I also tried to raise the speakers to ear level, the mid and high frequencies were a little more alive, but the bass was still weak, I moved the speakers closer to the wall, away from the wall, but the bass was still weak, I tried with the switches at the back, nothing changed again.

Maybe I am making a mistake somewhere, being on the table may be the main source of the problem, I listen from a distance of 60 cm or 70 cm, the top of the speaker box coincides with my ears.I also tried to raise the speakers.

I installed a decibel meter on my phone and measured it from where I was listening, and it turned out to be 70 db, I usually listen at 70 db.

While listening to these, the bass does not increase when the triangles are formed with the speakers, but while listening, the bass increases when they form a single line.

Lastly, I think it might be related to my room, I don't know how much it affects.
I think you would like to have a umik1 and rew to measure and see how the FR looks like, it can be either you want too boosted bass where won’t be in monitors, or it’s a room mode issue where you have a wide dip somewhere in bass, or even you got a defective unit, need some measurements for FR to identify

dgnzcn

I find the kali lp-6 sound very balanced except for the bass weakness to me, I hope I solve it.

Thank you for the answers, I would appreciate any other suggestions.

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
I find the kali lp-6 sound very balanced except for the bass weakness to me, I hope I solve it.

I am not sure if it’s just you preferring over boosted bass, one thing is leave the speaker in the space and move yourself closer to the wall at the opposite side of the room (I.e. move away from the speaker) to see if that’s the room mode cancelling the bass

YSC

Major Contributor

Actually what speakers you’re coming from before the Kali ?

dgnzcn

I am not sure if it’s just you preferring over boosted bass, one thing is leave the speaker in the space and move yourself closer to the wall at the opposite side of the room (I.e. move away from the speaker) to see if that’s the room mode cancelling the bass
When I approach the corner to the other side of the room, the bass gets deeper, that's exactly what I want.

dgnzcn

Actually what speakers you’re coming from before the Kali ?
I used before Jamo E680 floorstanding, now I have AKG K612 PRO headphones and Kali Audio LP-6 monitors, I can get deep bass on my k612s on the same system.

I didn't make corrections to improve the sound in my room, I don't know maybe that's why the problem
Maybe Kali lp-6 sound is like that. I may have kept my expectation high.

Do you have Kali Audio LP-6?

Top Bottom