• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali LP-6 Review: Studio Monitor

YSC

Major Contributor
When I approach the corner to the other side of the room, the bass gets deeper, that's exactly what I want.
if that's the case then the listening position is the problem. if possible put something soft and absorbing at the back wall and it could help a bit, it sounds like that's front wall cancellation, so no matter how much bass the speaker produce, the reflected wave cancels it out.... or did you put the speakers close to the wall already? Genelec recommending to put the speaker either have the wall at the back of the speaker very close to the wall, or place it >2.2m away from wall, if they are put anywhere between 1-2.2m a huge null at the bass frequence will result from the rear wall, same thing also happens to the wall the speaker drivers are facing

dgnzcn

if that's the case then the listening position is the problem. if possible put something soft and absorbing at the back wall and it could help a bit, it sounds like that's front wall cancellation, so no matter how much bass the speaker produce, the reflected wave cancels it out.... or did you put the speakers close to the wall already? Genelec recommending to put the speaker either have the wall at the back of the speaker very close to the wall, or place it >2.2m away from wall, if they are put anywhere between 1-2.2m a huge null at the bass frequence will result from the rear wall, same thing also happens to the wall the speaker drivers are facing

First of all, thank you for your reply.

In my previous research, I put a 0.5 cm thick 70cmx200cm gymnastics mat on the back wall, but I think it had no effect ar maybe too less, the speakers stand at a distance of 10 or 15 cm from the back wall when I pull them forward, I keep them close to the back wall because the bass response decreases even more.

The space behind me is 120cm to the wall, and there is a wooden cabinet halfway up the back wall behind me.

YSC

Major Contributor
First of all, thank you for your reply.

In my previous research, I put a 0.5 cm thick 70cmx200cm gymnastics mat on the back wall, but I think it had no effect ar maybe too less, the speakers stand at a distance of 10 or 15 cm from the back wall when I pull them forward, I keep them close to the back wall because the bass response decreases even more.
if this case it's fairly sure for me it's the wall front wall (the wall behind your back) reflection cancels out the bass, the cancellation is more complete if you put them close to the back wall. only thing you can do is to place something at the front wall to try mitigate it or you add a sub and put it somewhere to deal with the null.

dgnzcn

ECDB68C6-04B3-474C-BA23-8789A1E1E753.jpeg

This is my desk

dgnzcn

View attachment 125167

I think this is the problem, the front wall from eyeballing looks like ~1.5-2m from the speaker driver, so the cancellation would likely be at approximately 50-70hz (wild guess from the graph, I don't know about the wavelength calculation) at your listening position..

wow this seems like a huge fall.

But my listening distance from the front walls is about 80cm, and the speakers stand about 15cm from the front wall.

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
wow this seems like a huge fall.

But my listening distance from the front walls is about 80cm, and the speakers stand about 15cm from the front wall.
O I mean back wall in this sense, I.e. the wall with the cupboard. The front wall of 15cm distance from the speaker is fine, just the opposite side seems will be just in the worst position

dgnzcn

O I mean back wall in this sense, I.e. the wall with the cupboard. The front wall of 15cm distance from the speaker is fine, just the opposite side seems will be just in the worst position

If I have a budget, a sub bass seems like the best option, or I guess I will live this way.

I can't improve the room because this is a room not a studio.

Maybe I will move my table and settle in front of me facing the window.

YSC

Major Contributor
If I have a budget, a sub bass seems like the best option, or I guess I will live this way.

I can't improve the room because this is a room not a studio.

Maybe I will move my table and settle in front of me facing the window.
Yea that’s what I would try if I can’t afford a sub for complement

OrbitalChiller

Hi all. I am a "long term" user of Kali LP6 and i am very disappointed with their sound quality. I already had to send one unit back because of the notorious power supply bug, but no big deal. The hiss never really bothered me either and I love their design and features. My problem is how much the tweeter distort, making them virtually unusable in both professional and just music listening application. With some type of sound, like synthscape or even strings in classical music, it start buzzing slightly with resonance, like it cannot render these sounds very clearly. They crackles. I will give an example of a track i know very well that produce theses distortion with the Kali when it should be crystal clear synth sounds: "clouds" by Carbon Based Lifeforms. My setup is: audio sources (PC, guitars, turntable, whatever) to mixing consoles > output from mixer with balanced XLR to passive Mackie big knob then to the speakers (also with balanced XLR). On my mixing console, i have a DT990 pro which never produce (for a given frequency or mix of frequencies) any distortions produced with the Kali's... It's very frustrating and as the basses are rendered very accurately. Has anyone else got bad issues with resonance and distortions with these LP6 ?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It's very frustrating and as the basses are rendered very accurately. Has anyone else got bad issues with resonance and distortions with these LP6 ?

None. Perhaps you have a defective tweeter, or something trapped in the VC gap? If you have the capability to do a rub and buzz measurement, that might be enlightening.

bennybbbx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi all. I am a "long term" user of Kali LP6 and i am very disappointed with their sound quality. I already had to send one unit back because of the notorious power supply bug, but no big deal. The hiss never really bothered me either and I love their design and features. My problem is how much the tweeter distort, making them virtually unusable in both professional and just music listening application. With some type of sound, like synthscape or even strings in classical music, it start buzzing slightly with resonance, like it cannot render these sounds very clearly. They crackles. I will give an example of a track i know very well that produce theses distortion with the Kali when it should be crystal clear synth sounds: "clouds" by Carbon Based Lifeforms. My setup is: audio sources (PC, guitars, turntable, whatever) to mixing consoles > output from mixer with balanced XLR to passive Mackie big knob then to the speakers (also with balanced XLR). On my mixing console, i have a DT990 pro which never produce (for a given frequency or mix of frequencies) any distortions produced with the Kali's... It's very frustrating and as the basses are rendered very accurately. Has anyone else got bad issues with resonance and distortions with these LP6 ?

the tweeter is much inside the waveguide. . so it is a little a horn. hard to explain. see lp6 that there is the rubber of the tweeter is in a tube. i think the LP6 sound a little as horn with harsh mid, but can correct with EQ. here you can hear audio records of same testpiece and can compare with other speakers. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...step-response-and-audio-record-example.19813/ https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/test-ikmultimedia-iloud-mtm.19814/ original is here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-and-audio-record-examples.19812/#post-837804 and audio records how the eris sound as a wide band speaker

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
Try taking the Big Knob out of the signal path and see if the issue goes away. Otherwise, PLEASE reach out to our Customer Service team.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
View attachment 125163

My room from a different angle.
From this photo it looks like your listening position is about half way between front wall and back wall, which is a bad place to be. What happense to the sound when you sit on your chair further away from your desk?

dorirod

I got the LP-6 as well, thanks to @amirm review!

I've just started playing around with them. Got some measurements in REW. Getting a very weird bump at 55Hz out of the speakers (left speaker more than right) for some reason. Before these I had the KEF Q100 in the same position (inside bookshelf pushed against the wall). Using dip switch 2 set to 1, everything else off. Might need to play around with the dip switches see if there is a better combination.

@KaliAudio_Official is there a published graph as to what the switches do to the FR?

KALI LP6 L+R MMM MIDDLE SEAT EQ RESULTS.pngKALI LP6 L+R MMM MIDDLE SEAT.png

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
I got the LP-6 as well, thanks to @amirm review!

I've just started playing around with them. Got some measurements in REW. Getting a very weird bump at 55Hz out of the speakers (left speaker more than right) for some reason. Before these I had the KEF Q100 in the same position (inside bookshelf pushed against the wall). Using dip switch 2 set to 1, everything else off. Might need to play around with the dip switches see if there is a better combination.

@KaliAudio_Official is there a published graph as to what the switches do to the FR?

View attachment 145111View attachment 145112
Email me at [email protected] and I can send you what the filters are.

mga2009

Since we are talking about the dip switches in the Kali LP6... do you know if they are enough to tame the bass boost when using 3 Kali LP-6 in a "baffle wall"?

I am planning a cheap HT room, and having 3x LP-6 as Left, Center and Right channels behind an AT screen seems to be the absolute best price/performance ratio. All channels will be crossed around 80Hz.

Baffle Wall will be a flat wall with double layer of drywall with opening only for the 3x LP-6 (ventilation is considered on the back) and covered with 2" acoustic absorption material.

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
Since we are talking about the dip switches in the Kali LP6... do you know if they are enough to tame the bass boost when using 3 Kali LP-6 in a "baffle wall"?

I am planning a cheap HT room, and having 3x LP-6 as Left, Center and Right channels behind an AT screen seems to be the absolute best price/performance ratio. All channels will be crossed around 80Hz.

Baffle Wall will be a flat wall with double layer of drywall with opening only for the 3x LP-6 (ventilation is considered on the back) and covered with 2" acoustic absorption material.
The "Against a wall" setting will take out a lot of the wall, and you might get good results with the -2dB bass trim on top of that.

Personally, I would highly recommend getting a miniDSP for this application, and doing the room correction there.

Top Bottom