• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali LP-6/LP-8 V2 (2nd Wave) studio monitors released

David_M

I do not have the Kalis, but the KH120 and a sub at similar nearfield distance (but optimized) shown in post #266.

If your measurements are truly way off-axis, then the responses seen below (with a 50 dB vertical scale) sort of makes sense -- but, only partially.

Red trace is yours with +2dB HF shelving filter
View attachment 191761
Trace #2 and 3 are my left and right KH120+subwoofer at the desk MLP ~0.8 m distance on-axis using 90 degrees calibrated mic -- just note that this setup has already been optimized to the max.

My hunch is you used a L+R sweep (where distances were not set precisely enough) causing the big dips seen between 3-5 kHz. Vector averaging a completely separate left and right sweep would be one way of avoiding these HF anomalies from occurring.

Here's just an example of what one might see inside REW's alignment tool to give you an idea:

frequency dependent windowing (FDW) 15 cycles applied
View attachment 191762

The way to simulate HP and LP xo filters over raw measurements requires a roundabout method of convolution (e.g. from imported rePhase generated filters) using the 'trace arithmetic' function A*B in REW. There is a way to do this also within another simulation software called VituixCAD, though probably not specifically mixed and linear phase FIR filters, rather only minimum phase -- probably.

Wow... thank for these extraordinary details. I confess I'm new to all things REW, so what you said about optimizing xo points is wildly new to me.

Yes, I used the L+R sweep. Should I have used the L sweep only? I'm not sure how to perform vector averaging of the L and R sweeps. Is that something REW does for you, via some setting? [EDIT ... I now see it in your pictures]

I used the standard calibration file and not the 90 degree(UMik pointed to the ceiling) one since miniDSP said its for multichannel speaker systems. Should I use the 90 degree one like you did? Maybe due to the high directionality of the mic at high frequencies?

I wanted to respond sooner but my new mic stand from amazon had a dangerous habit of dropping its heavy steel base almost on my foot whenever I moved or lifted up the mic. never screws in right. A new stand arrives tomorrow so, will take measurements then.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I used the standard calibration file and not the 90 degree(UMik pointed to the ceiling) one since miniDSP said its for multichannel speaker systems. Should I use the 90 degree one like you did? Maybe due to the high directionality of the mic at high frequencies?

Either way works fine; primary difference would only be the slope in the HF. There should be little reason to equalize or fix anything above the transition zone of the Kalis in the first place. It also could be that your positioning setup is far from ideal.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
There is a way to do this also within another simulation software called VituixCAD, though probably not specifically mixed and linear phase FIR filters, rather only minimum phase -- probably.

Just checked... it turns out that one can indeed perform trace arithmetic functions in VituixCAD same as in REW -- so either software should work with rePhase created filters for FIR xo simulation purpose.

Random

I have a pair of LP6-v2s sitting on my computer desk, in between my 48" LG C1 monitor TV. The speakers are ~ 4.6-ft apart, right next to the sides of my TV monitor. They are also 8.5-ft away from the back wall. I'm seated 4.5 feet away.

Using REW and a Umik-1 microphone, I'm experiencing a precipitous drop in low end FR starting at 150Hz. I can only get the FR Erin got if the mic is on-axis and 1-ft away. Low end FR starts to drop at 2.5-ft on-axis and even worse at my MLP. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Has anyone ever measured the frequency response of the LP6-v2 at their listening position? Erin's website shows no such drop, though I don't know how far his measurement mic was from the speakers.

I'm also new to REW but I don't think it's user error...

View attachment 190908
The frequency response is highly related to your space if you are not in an anechoic chamber, especially for low frequency. Room size/volume, room dimension, distance to different walls, the absorption efficiency of each surface(wall, floor and ceiling), etc. Everything is relevant in real world. This kind of bass response peak and dip is pretty common if you measure the speaker in a normal room.

My LP6v1 measurement in my office is pretty rough, have very deep dips and high peaks at multiple points just because the room isn't well treated and the size is not ideal. But the measurements in my home studio is pretty satisfying, only one peak at about 124Hz due to the room size and shape, also I can even use the 125Hz slider on the soundcard driver equalizer to flat the peak very easily.

Last edited:

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Recommended these to a friend who is a drummer and wanted to hear things better than using headphones all the time. Set them up for him yesterday in a far less than ideal acoustic environment and gotta say they sound great. They are light in weight but the construction feels quite solid, nice woofer materials. I think the dustcap is ugly but whatever.

If I had $1000 monitor budget, I'd just get these, like them better than anything else I've heard in that range. I will probably get a pair at some point.

Zvu

Tried KRK Rokit RP10-3 G4 ?

Fits the budget of under 1000$, dsp controlled active, 10"/4"/1" threeway.

mightycicadalord

Yeah I finally bit the bullet and got a pair for myself after hearing my friends. I can't really believe you can get this kind of performance for this money.

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
Anyone know what the dip switches on the back of the LP6-V2s even do? Like I understand what they're mean for, but I can't seem to find any documentation on what they do to the actual frequency response. I'm using an EQ from this thread, and I assume it was done with all the dip switches in their default values. I want to understand what these positioning switches do so I can tailor my EQ accordingly.

mattzildjian

Anyone know what the dip switches on the back of the LP6-V2s even do? Like I understand what they're mean for, but I can't seem to find any documentation on what they do to the actual frequency response. I'm using an EQ from this thread, and I assume it was done with all the dip switches in their default values. I want to understand what these positioning switches do so I can tailor my EQ accordingly.
I'd also like to know this

juliangst

On Thomann, the LP-8 v2 costs 200€ each and the LP-6 v2 costs 211€ each. I don't get why it's like this because it does not look like a special offer

MajorP

On Thomann, the LP-8 v2 costs 200€ each and the LP-6 v2 costs 211€ each. I don't get why it's like this because it does not look like a special offer
I think it's a demand vs supply thing.
The LP-6 v2 is just a lot more popular than the LP-8 v2.

njw

Hey if both the LP6v2 and the LP8v2 were the same price, what would be the better choice to get? This is of course including EQ.
Also, does anyone have any EQ settings for both of these monitors?

Top Bottom