• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali LP-6/LP-8 V2 (2nd Wave) studio monitors released

Slyman

I just received my pair, there is a strange bristling/tiny crackling noise in certain frequencies, around 40-100hz, but it seems intermittent or dependent on multiple notes of a sine wave being played. I tried everything, different power, cables, isolating the speakers from any surface etc... I wan't to make sure its not user error before I need to return them and be without monitors for a week as I have a mixing job that needs to be completed this week.

Example recorded with a condenser next to the woofer: https://voca.ro/1jRQmZFOIxIB
Damn i just bought a pair and it does exactly the same. What did you do with yours? did it get better?

suzook

I just purchased a pair of powered monitors, and they hum/hiss with no inputs at idle. Im VERY sensitive to this, and sit within 18 inchs of them, I am here because I have heard the lp 6v2 are quiet. Are they really? I know its subjective but I really dont wanna play the game of buying and returning multiple brands. Its impossible to tell in a store like GC.

Slyman

I just purchased a pair of powered monitors, and they hum/hiss with no inputs at idle. Im VERY sensitive to this, and sit within 18 inchs of them, I am here because I have heard the lp 6v2 are quiet. Are they really? I know its subjective but I really dont wanna play the game of buying and returning multiple brands. Its impossible to tell in a store like GC.
They are pretty damn silent. I'm hizz sensitive too and they good in my book.

suzook

They are pretty damn silent. I'm hizz sensitive too and they good in my book.
Thanks, The set I have are class a/b, so I thought they would be silent, but its the damn transformer hum that is killing me. I think the kali's are class d, so probably no transformer buzz, but hopefully no hiss either. LOL.

suzook

One other thing worries me. I have read some early models did have an issue with low end distortion. And a FW update was required, and needed to be be sent to kali. Was hoping @KaliAudio_Official could comment on this? I am headed to GC to buy a pair, is there a sn, or date code that doesn't have this issue? Thanks

suzook

Welp, got them home. Only hiss I hear is if I put my old ass ear within an inch of the tweeter. Thats good enough for me. Unfortunately I think I have that low end distortion. I thought this was taken care of a long time ago?? Ugh, this blows. the distortion on lows is horrible. What a waste of time.

Last edited:

Slyman

Welp, got them home. Only hiss I hear is if I put my old ass ear within an inch of the tweeter. Thats good enough for me. Unfortunately I think I have that low end distortion. I thought this was taken care of a long time ago?? Ugh, this blows. the distortion on lows is horrible. What a waste of time.
can you record how your low end distortion sounds? Is it like mine kinda rattling sound?

suzook

can you record how your low end distortion sounds? Is it like mine kinda rattling sound?
Hard to explain, but almost sounds like blown drivers. Its not all the time, but certain times, its horrendous. I wish i knew these had issues. I'm done doing the return/exchange thing. I think the early batch had bad amps.

Slyman

Hard to explain, but almost sounds like blown drivers. Its not all the time, but certain times, its horrendous. I wish i knew these had issues. I'm done doing the return/exchange thing. I think the early batch had bad amps.
Does it by chance sound like this i attached here:

If so we both have this problem...

Attachments

• Speaker chuff.mp3.zip
    532.4 KB · Views: 100

suzook

So I am listening to some streaming music, and a few cd's and there is barely any distortion on some material, but its bad on other material. I'm actually blown away with stereo separation and how vocals are straight out in front from these. Unfortunately I have the same issue with some weird bass distortion like @Slyman has. Unfortunately I cant live with this issue. I can make this happen at will using the low e string on my guitar. I am thinking its an amp/crossover issue allowing the woofer to go below its rated frequency? IDK if that makes any sense. Amazing that kali knows about the amp issue on early production units, and does NOTHING about it! There's lots of retailers with early production units waiting to be sold. I feel like I got robbed with such a flaw.

Last edited:

Serhio

How can you tell if it is a old batch or new? By serial number or sth else?

Would love to pick up a pair of 6s (would take 8s if they were white) but do not want go through returning hassle.

skeptastic

The preference score (and PIR) are meant for relatively untreated rooms listening midfield or farther. In a room with heavily reduced early reflections and listening nearfield (as studio monitors like these are intended) the LW response becomes considerably more important.
What is the LW response?

Edit: After re-reading the entire thread, am I correct in assuming LW stands for listening window?

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
What is the LW response?

Edit: After re-reading the entire thread, am I correct in assuming LW stands for listening window?
Correct.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
you’re probably thinking of the 10 band GEQs. GEQs have certain frequencies and it’s more of a standard.

This is PEQ, so it doesn’t matter if it’s 1 filter or 100. There’s no set frequencies for PEQs, so it doesn’t matter. As long as your hardware supports it.

I have a thread that explains the difference. See my signature.

Bust3r

you’re probably thinking of the 10 band GEQs. GEQs have certain frequencies and it’s more of a standard.

This is PEQ, so it doesn’t matter if it’s 1 filter or 100. There’s no set frequencies for PEQs, so it doesn’t matter. As long as your hardware supports it.

I have a thread that explains the difference. See my signature.
Ok, I was thinking this would go into PEACE EQ, I was looking for a PEACE correction for these if there is any

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
It’s already in Equalizer APO format. Which means you can import it into Equalizer APO or Peace (interface) without any modifications.

Top Bottom