• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jeff Rowland 535 Stereo Amplifier Review

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They use Pascal, I don’t know which modules, I can ask if you like?
I understand AMIR is now worth 3000 pesetas dead or alive.
Keith

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Great review Amir, thanks.
Very sad measured performance but a beautifully machined case..
To think I could have 2 Benchmarks running bridged for the same money.
Disturbing

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't help wondering how many more "high end"integrated or separate preamp/power amp Amir has to measure in order to find a few more that can do better than the likes of the AVR-X3500H (the cheapest Denon that can be used as preamp), RX-A1080, MRX-520 (well, preamp only in this case) in SINAD (especially in the 5 W test), IMD, and linearity, or even SNR (think about all those extra copper/shielding) that should be important enough to audible sound quality. So often bashing of the SQ of AVRs despite their affordable price related to integrated amps seem almost unfair and unfounded. Obviously in terms of build quality and reliable, AVRs can't compare, that is for sure.

Next time I see another subjective reviews that says, "wow,the difference is night and day.. as soon I have the xyz amp added to my avr, I immediately hear more details that I never know existed, much wider soundstage, and dynamic impacts, all the harshness in the highs were gone blablabla....., I would be thinking about the measurements of the Audio research, Jeff Rowland and others measured here.;) I am glad the most expensive separates that I have ever bought was just a Bryston 4B SST. My next "separate", if ever get approval to go ahead, would be one or two Benchmark amp, at least that one not only measured great, also looks okay.

LDKTA

I don’t believe I can surprised anymore when it comes to “high end” audio. This level of performance is so disappointing... and for nearly $6k.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the long term implication of this understandable position? Are you going to stop testing them as you cannot test them completely, or move to only testing new models that are under warranty? What is the legal situation on warranty repairs from mild stress testing?
The 'legal' situation begins with whatever the manufacturer asserts. If they claim the end user operated the device in a 'manner not consistent' with its intended application then what can the owner do? Take them to some kind of arbitration or small claims court? Judge Judy? How much is that going to cost? In time and fees? I guess if the owner could prove that the unit doesn't meet specs they would have a case to pursue either a replacement or refund.

Really, it seems to me that the manufacturer is in the driver's seat in warranty situations. The only way to be sure in ASR type testing situations would be for the manufacturer to send in a review sample. Like Jeff is going to do that? LOL

PS: what if the manufacturer claims that the test was done in a harmful way? It'd be a he said she said thing. I could see something like this getting ugly fast. And expensive to litigate. Does anyone want a manufacturer going Bose on them?

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They use Pascal, I don’t know which modules, I can ask if you like?
I understand AMIR is now worth 3000 pesetas dead or alive.
Keith
Found it in the 6moons review. Dutch & Dutch 8c uses the same Pascal S-PRO2 modules. And DAC is a TI PCM4104 running 48kHz.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To be fair, it seems that a good % of the separate components did not do exceptionally good numerically in SINAD. Examples of those that do from good to excellent are Parasound Halo, Bryston, Anthem, McIntosh (the newers models), Luxman, Benchmarks, or even Marantz, likely Denon, Yamaha and Sony too (integrated only). I suspect aside from the Lyngdorf, Jeff Rowland and Audio Research measured so far, the likes of Passlabs and some Krell models probably wouldn't even measure as good as a low cost Outlaw M2200, let alone those Hypex class D amps all seemed to measure very well in SINAD. I suspect that particular high end group need to read and I would love to see a good debate between the two camps and Mr. Putzeys. When in U, I did take the "Control system" option so I guess I got biased, and am inclined to believe Putzeys.

https://www.edn.com/negative-feedback-in-audio-amplifiers-why-there-is-no-such-thing-as-too-much/
https://linearaudio.net/sites/linearaudio.net/files/volume1bp.pdf
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...utzeys-reaches-out-to-the-subjectivists.1349/

Aside from the "F" word, I can't think of a good reason why some of those very expensive amps would have distortions so high (audible or not..).

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There seem to be a few elephants in the room here. A near generic $200 class D amplifier for one. But there are a pair of Lundahl line level transformers. There I deeply suspect one will find almost the entire story. There is no transformer made that is really clean. I noticed on a quick look at the JeffRowlandDesign web page that there is pic of a seriously large discrete power amp, also with a pair of input transformers.

My suspicion is that the magic in their products is basically a house sound delivered by these transformers. Lundahl make very high quality transformers. Either theirs or Jensen are the go to if you need galvanic isolation. Studio gear is filled with them. Many times with the specific intent of using the inherent distortion characteristics to shape the sound. They are not cheap. Indeed they are probably the most expensive components.
But here, there is no sensible reason for them to be present except for delivering a product with a characteristic sound. Yes they provide balanced to unbalanced conversion, and are intrinsically ground loop free, but that isn't going to be it.

Overall, the selling price is about what you would expect. $200 for the class D amp. $200 for the pair of transformers. $100 for the other bits and pieces, including the binding posts. $300 for the case. USA assembly. Call it $1000 cost. By the time this makes it to the consumer via the usual high end markups, $6000 is about right.

wwenze

Major Contributor
I can't help wondering how many more "high end"integrated or separate preamp/power amp Amir has to measure in order to find a few more that can do better than the likes of the AVR-X3500H (the cheapest Denon that can be used as preamp), RX-A1080, MRX-520 (well, preamp only in this case) in SINAD (especially in the 5 W test), IMD, and linearity, or even SNR (think about all those extra copper/shielding) that should be important enough to audible sound quality. So often bashing of the SQ of AVRs despite their affordable price related to integrated amps seem almost unfair and unfounded. Obviously in terms of build quality and reliable, AVRs can't compare, that is for sure.

Next time I see another subjective reviews that says, "wow,the difference is night and day.. as soon I have the xyz amp added to my avr, I immediately hear more details that I never know existed, much wider soundstage, and dynamic impacts, all the harshness in the highs were gone blablabla....., I would be thinking about the measurements of the Audio research, Jeff Rowland and others measured here.;) I am glad the most expensive separates that I have ever bought was just a Bryston 4B SST. My next "separate", if ever get approval to go ahead, would be one or two Benchmark amp, at least that one not only measured great, also looks okay.

You're setting the bar pretty low. I am looking at the 90dB SINAD from NAD C 320BEE that could be had from a class-AB amp 15 years ago which wasn't even too expensive for its time.

AFAIK, typical big names (NAD, Yamaha, Pioneer, Teac, Marantz...) don't go too far from each other in terms of performance/price, after adjusting for home-turf / shipping advantages. Give or take 3 to 10dB. So it's ironic that we have audiophiles claiming their boutique products are better than those corporate money-grabbing stuff targeted at sheeple. And then poof, measurements show up.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Very expensive, built with an off the shelf core, and it performs like my cheap Crown XLS1502. The Crown has more power and bass management built in to boot.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These modules obviously are not SOTA, but I can't imagine that the 8Cs' implementation includes audiophile transformers that are likely to worsen the modules' performance.

The factory measurements of these modules (if indeed they are the S-Pro 2) show somewhat (although not vastly) better performance than measured by Amir, FWIW:

1586697840733.png

EDIT: I would also say that these measurements show why it may be useful/important to measure nonlinear distortion as a function of frequency, especially with class D amps.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Pro tip.
My solution to nonstandard 'binding posts'.
Clip leads and small nails (to stick in the holes).
100% compatibility.

You're welcome.

:cool:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I think I should build a Purifi module'd amp and build a beautiful, seamless, surface ground finished, stainless case around it. And charge US$10,000.

I'm pretty sure I will get quite a few bites and it will measure at least within arm's length of SoTA.

Anyone game for that ? :cool::p

wwenze

Major Contributor
The factory measurements of these modules (if indeed they are the S-Pro 2) show somewhat (although not vastly) better performance than measured by Amir, FWIW:

View attachment 58446

EDIT: I would also say that these measurements show why it may be useful/important to measure nonlinear distortion as a function of frequency, especially with class D amps.

Looks around the same to me? 0.01% from 10W to 100W.

Amir's measurements suggest noise is dominating at lower levels. Which may not be the S-Pro 2's fault.

Top Bottom