• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Synthesis AVR and Processor with Dirac

Olli

Forum Donor
Wasn't really expecting much change in sound coming from Dirac Live to their Optimizer but it sounds better to me. Purely expectation bias, but the measured impulse response is better than before, and the subs seem to have integrated well where before I had to spend hours dialing them in.

I recently bought a Trinnov Altitude 16, and I really like it - but the bass performance was somewhat dissapointing. I am experimenting now with MSO generated PEQs and other parameters which does improve things a bit - but it is still far away from what I could achieve with Audiolense:

Trinnov_vs Audiolense.jpg

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
There are a bazillion parameters to play with so maybe something would help your response, I don't know (just starting with it). Some of the defaults are a little coarse for bass, and it does not use a lot of taps nor large dynamic range in its filters. I know Harman tweaks some things but they are cagey (make that secretive) about what. And the documentation is lacking in areas. We should start a Trinnov/SDP-75 thread.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had the Sherwood R972 which had Trinnov. It was great except for the fact that the receiver had a known issue where the HDMI board eventually goes bad.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Trinnov or Dirac Live better?

Don't really know. The simulated impulse response from Trinnov is better than Dirac Live measured but that is apples and oranges. Dirac Live does some things well, but fell behind my manual tweaking of my old Pioneer AVR, both frequency and impulse response. After tweaking Dirac Live settings for a while I got them to be comparable. Some of it may be Emotiva's implementation of Dirac Live (been debated quite a bit on other fora). I never could tell which I preferred and did not personally hear a big difference from my heavily tweaked MCCAC settings to tweaked Dirac Live setup. I did think I noticed a difference with Trinnov but don't really trust them. My initial impressions are that the center is more "present" (so probably louder) but the overall levels are higher so subjective impressions are pretty worthless. Bass actually seems a little less but I have done almost no listening and I have not made any measurements (and probably won't for a while -- the virus that has most folk at home has my wife and I working gobs of extra hours so free time is limited). I withhold any sort of judgement until I have some measurements.

Long-winded way of saying I don't know.

Last night I managed to get my Harmony set up for it -- only took one day to get fed up having to handle four remotes to do things.

Olli

Forum Donor
There are a bazillion parameters to play with so maybe something would help your response, I don't know (just starting with it). Some of the defaults are a little coarse for bass, and it does not use a lot of taps nor large dynamic range in its filters. I know Harman tweaks some things but they are cagey (make that secretive) about what. And the documentation is lacking in areas. We should start a Trinnov/SDP-75 thread.

„Trinnov Basic“ is already tweaked by the Trinnov team... my initial measurement didn’t look that good :) Trinnov + MSO is my latest outcome, using a virtual 4 way sub within the Altitude, with 7 peqs, gain and delay per way.

But they seem to be aware of the opportunities here and are working on a new bass management solution.

Great idea to start a Trinnov/SDP-75 thread!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
SFM (Harman) requires a miniDSP or on-site calibrator to implement (mucho $$$). I have enough channels to handle the subs in the unit, but not enough funds (that I can justify) to have them come out and implement it (plus they are on travel lock down for COVID-19 so it would be later this summer at the earliest). I did not realize it required on-site personnel to do SFM in the unit, vexing.

If I get a miniDSP I could compare SFM to MSO. That would be interesting, and something I'd love to do, whenever my work hours become less than insane.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
How many years from retirement are you from Don?

Now, or before COVID-19? A few... Hoping to retire a little early, maybe in five years at 65, but it is all TBD. I keep hoping work will die down some but it's pretty relentless. Great pay, nice group of folk, interesting work, wicked hours, high stress... E.g. normal engineering.

Flak

Industry Insider
I think this is the right thread for posting this info about the Dirac Live Bass Control that is included, and around the corner, for the JBL SDP-55 and SDR-35:
http://diracdocs.com/Bass Control in Live.pdf
Section 2 with technical details explains what makes it different from all other solutions.

Top Bottom