• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Another "which processor to buy?" thread

Hifiaudio177

Hi folks,

Looking to pull the trigger on a new processor. Ultimately very interested in Dirac ART, so a processor that is pretty definitively getting that, or already has it (Storm) is a priority. I dont think I can afford Trinnov, so this is my best bet.

It seems like the contenders are either the Marantz Av10 or JBL SDP-58, although the cheapest Storm could be in the mix, but I still dont know what I can get one of those on the street for. I "think" they are almost double street price of these other two.

I am leaning toward the marantz, simply because I already owned the SDP-55 that stayed with a previous house, but it was a buggy mess. I think that is resolved now, but its a bad taste. I also believe that the Marantz measures a lot better (??)

This will be paired with JBL SC4 in walls for LCR, SC-7 for surrounds, and sc-5 in ceiling for Atmos. probably a couple of Seaton custom 18" subs in a baffle wall, although the subs are still subject to change per budget.

Just looking for anything that might sway me one way or the other. Thanks!

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you want 100% certainty on ART, then go with the Storm. If you want 99% certainty in, let's say, late 2024, then go for the AV10. They're both great options. I would lean towards the AV10 personally for HDMI 2.1.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
I'm planning on selling my RZ50 and buying an SDP-58 or Arcam AV41 around the holidays. I want the balanced outputs and DLBC, not sure what else I'm really gaining for the substantial price difference.. I wish there were more options, but there seemingly aren't..

AFAIK the SDP-58 and AV41 are actually the same thing in different clothes, they might use different DAC chips? Not sure.

Am I missing anything?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm planning on selling my RZ50 and buying an SDP-58 or Arcam AV41 around the holidays. I want the balanced outputs and DLBC, not sure what else I'm really gaining for the substantial price difference.. I wish there were more options, but there seemingly aren't..

AFAIK the SDP-58 and AV41 are actually the same thing in different clothes, they might use different DAC chips? Not sure.

Am I missing anything?
Any other issues with RZ50? I'm considering it for modest 5.1 setup. Thanks

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wanna buy mine for $950 + ship? Still has plenty of the 3-year warranty left.
Maybe still doing my research. If someone beats me to it so be it.
You just made me have to do some digging on the HDMI thing :D but the honesty is much appreciated. ;)

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
Maybe still doing my research. If someone beats me to it so be it.
You just made me have to do some digging on the HDMI thing :D but the honesty is much appreciated. ;)
Any other issues with RZ50? I'm considering it for modest 5.1 setup. Thanks
No, no other issues. And, in fact, I removed the RZ50 from where I had it installed with less than 1" of top ventilation and it stopped being a bad receiver. Since I didn't want to change my furniture, I sold the RZ50 and got a used x3700h to play around with until the end of the year when I'll probably buy an SDP-58. The x3700h is about 1.5" shorter than the RZ50, so I was able to fit an AC Infinity cooling unit on top of it to keep everything running cool. The SDP-58 is also only 6.75" tall, so that should similarly work with my furniture.

Audyssey XT32 (with the phone app) sounds pretty good compared to Dirac. The mids/highs are about comparable, but Dirac does a more precise job EQ'ing the LFE channel from 0-200hz.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, no other issues. And, in fact, I removed the RZ50 from where I had it installed with less than 1" of top ventilation and it stopped being a bad receiver. Since I didn't want to change my furniture, I sold the RZ50 and got a used x3700h to play around with until the end of the year when I'll probably buy an SDP-58. The x3700h is about 1.5" shorter than the RZ50, so I was able to fit an AC Infinity cooling unit on top of it to keep everything running cool. The SDP-58 is also only 6.75" tall, so that should similarly work with my furniture.

Audyssey XT32 (with the phone app) sounds pretty good compared to Dirac. The mids/highs are about comparable, but Dirac does a more precise job EQ'ing the LFE channel from 0-200hz.
Thanks for the update still not sure what to buy. Upcoming birthday will up my budget.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just received my AV10 to pair with my new TV
What i appreciate most is ... it works for everything i need. Coming from an emotiva xmc-2, i was tired of promises, broken functionality and slow fixes (if any). The beauty of Marantz is they dont have this problem.

Rxilher

Forum Donor
Just received my AV10 to pair with my new TV
What i appreciate most is ... it works for everything i need. Coming from an emotiva xmc-2, i was tired of promises, broken functionality and slow fixes (if any). The beauty of Marantz is they dont have this problem.
Ugh. I am right here… my XCM-2 has never lived up. Every new firmware update seems to be a step sideways and often backwards. Looking for a solution now, but cannot drop 7k on a pre/pro. Any other strong contenders? I am running 7.2.4

theBruce

Ugh. I am right here… my XCM-2 has never lived up. Every new firmware update seems to be a step sideways and often backwards. Looking for a solution now, but cannot drop 7k on a pre/pro. Any other strong contenders? I am running 7.2.4
I have a Yamaha 5200 ( now in a different room), really needing HDMI 2.1 ( have PS5/XBOX X), got tired of waiting, bought a Anthem 70 8K, have not regretted it, this thing sounds so much better then the 5200, detail, separation, etc.

Where the 5200 is, same speakers as my Living Room ( where the Anthem is), same Hypex amps, so I can do a fair test based on my hearing , it is such a difference that I am incredibly surprised.

Rxilher

Forum Donor
Oh wow! No issues? I was reading Anthem had some issues. Looks great.. now I am digging and reading. I will keep researching. The Anthem 70 and Marantz AV7706 are looking most intriguing.

quattro98

Forum Donor
The AV10 is great. The Denon A1H offers a lot in a receiver with excellent processing and DACs. The power amps can be used to fill out a multichannel setup or used for multizone audio.

Top Bottom