• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

JBL Synthesis AVR and Processor with Dirac

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thread Starter #41
There is an argument one can make to force Dolby to license the patents under FRAND terms thanks to interoperability rules.
I don't know that RAND licensing was part of format acceptance for Blu-ray formats. Regardless, the reason that won't work though is that you can't license the copy protection for BD formats for open source platforms. Without a BD format license, Dolby has no obligation to license you anything.

The proposal here is to get Atmos and include it in some bootleg implementation of BD/UHD format. That just won't work.

Olli

Forum Donor
Some chance since we have some relationship with Harman (although much weaker outside of the speaker line).
What about putting a SDP 75 on the bench? It would be really interesting to see if the DAC section is better than other AVRs/processors...

Last edited:

Sal1950

Major Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What about putting a SDP 75 on the bench? I would be really interesting to see if the DAC section is better than other AVRs/processors...
What about sending one in for review? ;)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thread Starter #44
What about putting a SDP 75 on the bench? I would be really interesting to see if the DAC section is better than other AVRs/processors...
I don't have one or I would.

DonH56

Technical Expert
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Not sure I want to know...

Olli

Forum Donor
Specs (Trinnov Altitude 32) look good:

ADC Resolution / Sampling Rate: 24 bits/96 kHz
DAC Resolution / Sampling Rate: 24 bits/192 kHz
A/D Signal-To-Noise Ratio: 119 dB (A-Weighted)
D/A Signal-To-Noise Ratio: 118 dB (A-Weighted)
Analog Input Impedance: 20 kOhms / 10 kOhms
Reference Level: +18dBu @ 0dBFS (Balanced)
Clock / Jitter:Jitter attenuation > 50 dB above 100Hz)
Power Supply: Independent for audio and processing
Saftey Components: AntiPop relays on each output

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thread Starter #48

Sal1950

Major Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Specs (Trinnov Altitude 32) look good:
I think it uses pro audio interfaces so it will likely be good.
Starting at $17,000 and going up to over $30k, I would hope for some top shelf numbers.
I just got my SuperPowerBall ticket and keeping my fingers crossed. ;)

Currently have the Arcam AV40 if people have any questions. It is the cheaper sister product to the SDP-55, same platform but without Dante and with a slightly lower grade DAC.

Sancus

Forum Donor
Currently have the Arcam AV40 if people have any questions. It is the cheaper sister product to the SDP-55, same platform but without Dante and with a slightly lower grade DAC.
No Logic16 in this either, right?

Olli

Forum Donor
Is it’s digital out a duplication of an analog out -> can you connect an external DAC for e.g. Channel 1+ 2/mains?

Last edited:
Right, Logic16 will be only in the JBL's, unfortunately...
Correct. There is the usual 16 Channel stereo type mode. It will have Auro and Dirac BM added same as the JBL but Dante, Logic 16 and slight better DAC are JBL exclusive.

Top Bottom