• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL SDP-55 Audio/Video Processor Review

Newman

Major Contributor
Sure I’m not pretending it’s not subjective that’s clear.
There are two types of ‘subjective’ comparison tests.

Type 1: a proper controlled listening test experiment, where listener’s don’t know which is which, and the switching is done in a way that avoids statistical errors. This is a true test of which sound waves listeners prefer. It is the only true test of subjective opinions about sound waves themselves.

Type 2: a completely casual, sighted, uncontrolled listening test, where listeners listen to one setup then listen to another setup, knowing which gear they are listening to at all times, and record their impressions, usually by posting them on a forum as an opinion on the sound waves. This is an invalid test of the subjective qualities of sound waves, as it creates perceptions that are dominated by non-sonic factors. Repeat: dominated by non-sonic factors. If you want to know what your own subjective opinions of the sound waves are, you need to control the listening test to eliminate non-sonic factors.

So what you are doing is Type 2 testing, but kidding yourself (and trying to kid us) that your comments on sound quality are comments on the sound waves themselves.

Don’t feel bad: it’s the #1 beginner audiophile mistake. Everyone does it. But around here, we know how to assess that sort of reporting.

Cheers

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can this do simultaneous Dante and analog out for different channels?

Need something for a mixed Genelec digital system and Kali analog system that works with both while I slowly switch to all digital with Dante from this and Genelec monitors.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As such I won’t believe one persons opinion, but if enough people form similar opinion - I will give it a shot myself. That is until what makes a great processor metrics that tie with human hearing specifics and deterministic ways to measure them will be developed. So far it’s not the case.

That sounded reasonable on surface, and I used to think that too. That was until I realized the power of hearsay, especially in the internet age. You can see examples in all walks of live, such as in politics, where if one repeats some false statements enough time, enough people will believe them as facts. Another good example I can think of is, there are brands of audio amplifiers manufacturers that are known to have a unique kind of "warm sound" based on as you said "..enough people form similar opinion..", yet when I found out from some service manuals that there is one in particular that shares identical parts and circuitry with the other one under a different brand name yet fans would still think/heard that it has that "warm sound".

So even if enough people say the same thing, it is still anecdotal, not real evidence. Just checked out prolific reviewers such the well know as A. Robinson and watch how he described the sound of the popular AVR-X3700H and X3800H. It's so hilarious, and seemingly obvious to me he's either just regurgitating things (narratives) he heard, or if it may well be his own opinions (likely, I would think..), but was under the influence of what he heard/knew before and got biased.

I am not saying you didn't hear the difference you heard, just that it could have been for reasons other than the electronics itself, or totally one of those may be, may be not kind of things. And finally, if enough people say one is subjectively better, there could still be enough people who say the other one is subjectively better, you have to find out what the sample size is first before drawing a conclusion that is totally based on subjective reviews. Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to have enough people to form such subjective opinions as people who got interested in Arcam (just an example, can be any brand) in the first place is likely already under the influence of reviews by others.

This is a forever argument/debate that I am not interested in, but am very much interested in test protocols in general.

Krobar

Need something for a mixed Genelec digital system and Kali analog system that works with both while I slowly switch to all digital with Dante from this and Genelec monitors.

It does although I think enabling Dante does affect the digital levels used to feed the analogue DACs/outputs. You might want ask on the thread at AVS as there are some Dante users who lurk there and can probably provide more info:

Daka

That sounded reasonable on surface, and I used to think that too. That was until I realized the power of hearsay, especially in the internet age. You can see examples in all walks of live, such as in politics, where if one repeats some false statements enough time, enough people will believe them as facts. Another good example I can think of is, there are brands of audio amplifiers manufacturers that are known to have a unique kind of "warm sound" based on as you said "..enough people form similar opinion..", yet when I found out from some service manuals that there is one in particular that shares identical parts and circuitry with the other one under a different brand name yet fans would still think/heard that it has that "warm sound".
I hear what you say but this is how it is util better alternative. People are not reviewers and pay for equipment so I don’t think hearsay bias would apply here too often. I’ve heard many stereo amps and even when I heard something I liked I always asked a question is this change worth the money and hassle of selling old one. And often it was a no to the letter with a yes to former.
And yes people are not experts in defining how something sounds - majority would not be able to characterize sound correctly. You need to learn and train to hear difference. You need expertise. So unless it’s a seasoned reviewer that has proper background I would not take such statements into account. If I would make some measure Mts and post it- it should be treated the same- as you don’t know if I have required expertise to perform measurements correctly. Moreover it should be checked by third party that indeed I haven’t made mistake even if I’m a professional.
I rather focus on simple statements - it was much better it was little better, I didn’t hear difference, it was worse. That people, can tell without being listening experts. And if you gather enough similar statements and none to contrary that means indeed there might be something there, worth checking out.
So even if enough people say the same thing, it is still anecdotal, not real evidence. Just checked out prolific reviewers such the well know as A. Robinson and watch how he described the sound of the popular AVR-X3700H and X3800H. It's so hilarious, and seemingly obvious to me he's either just regurgitating things (narratives) he heard, or if it may well be his own opinions (likely, I would think..), but was under the influence of what he heard/knew before and got biased.
I agree it’s all anecdotal and should be treated as such there are many variables at play. All reviews are anecdotal to me. They might hold little more weight than some random person on forum but still nevertheless anecdotal. For once we have different tastes and just because someone likes something means you will as well.
I am not saying you didn't hear the difference you heard, just that it could have been for reasons other than the electronics itself, or totally one of those may be, may be not kind of things. And finally, if enough people say one is subjectively better, there could still be enough people who say the other one is subjectively better, you have to find out what the sample size is first before drawing a conclusion that is totally based on subjective reviews. Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to have enough people to form such subjective opinions as people who got interested in Arcam (just an example, can be any brand) in the first place is likely already under the influence of reviews by others.

This is a forever argument/debate that I am not interested in, but am very much interested in test protocols in general.
Well didn’t come across many if any statements to contrary. Which kind of reinforces it. But because I like something doesn’t mean everyone on earth will agree as well. We only recommend people to do demo at their homes their rooms with their equipment. That’s what majority of people looks for.

cputoaster

Yes, works very well for me. I am using Dante -> AES with 3x Genelec 8351b combined with 4x XLR analog Genelec 8020d and 2x XLR analog Arendal subs.

Mustang

Back to the original intent of this post if that's ok. I passed on buying a used/near new JBL SDP-55. For context, I have a Denon 4800 and a Marantz 6013 both setups with MiniDSP to dial in multiple subs. I have them dialed in for my rooms and am generally happy. I read this review and saw other instances of bugs and other issues and also noted the person selling had moved to a higher in Marantz that I have yet it's still the same technology to some degree. If they were fed up to get rid of their JBL for a Marantz then why would I buy it from them :)? I never got to a price but I think it would have been a great deal. But still something kept me from putting $ into something that would replace something that's working

So, for those who have heard this or an Arcam or and Anthem vs the more traditional Denon or Marantz like I have, once properly dialed in, how much better or difference do them make? Or assuming effective room correction is processing largely a commodity.

Tell me how big a mistake I made not chasing down that JBL :)

Krobar

Back to the original intent of this post if that's ok. I passed on buying a used/near new JBL SDP-55. For context, I have a Denon 4800 and a Marantz 6013 both setups with MiniDSP to dial in multiple subs. I have them dialed in for my rooms and am generally happy. I read this review and saw other instances of bugs and other issues and also noted the person selling had moved to a higher in Marantz that I have yet it's still the same technology to some degree. If they were fed up to get rid of their JBL for a Marantz then why would I buy it from them :)? I never got to a price but I think it would have been a great deal. But still something kept me from putting $ into something that would replace something that's working

So, for those who have heard this or an Arcam or and Anthem vs the more traditional Denon or Marantz like I have, once properly dialed in, how much better or difference do them make? Or assuming effective room correction is processing largely a commodity.

Tell me how big a mistake I made not chasing down that JBL :)
Difficult to say, experiences for bugs mainly vary based on the other attached equipment and if you use CEC; the danger with buying second hand is it wont be easy to try it and return if you have to. Dante could be an advantage for some setup but doesn't sound like you have much interest in it.

I'm using an LG C1, Roku Ultra, Nvidia Gaming PC (4K/120 VRR HDR) and HTPC and it has all been working nicely for some time but I do not use CEC. I find Dirac a good improvement from my previous Audyssey unit and Bass Control with multiple subs improved things further. At this stage I am much happier I bought this over an AV8805 at the time but if I had the extra money and was buying right now I would probably choose the AV10.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Tell me how big a mistake I made not chasing down that JBL
NONE IMHO.
As Amir stated above, unless you have a need for the extra channels, the JBL won't by itself improve your sound quality at all.
I have a 4700H with all external amps and am very happy with it.
Possible that updating your 4800 to Dirac + Bass Management might bring something to the plate IF your running more than 2 subwoofer's but even then I doubt it. I've got 2 SVS SB2000 subs and Audyssey did a first rate job with them.
I'd enjoy what your running now, it's a top notch arrangement that will be extreme hard to improve on .

Mustang

NONE IMHO.
As Amir stated above, unless you have a need for the extra channels, the JBL won't by itself improve your sound quality at all.
I have a 4700H with all external amps and am very happy with it.
Possible that updating your 4800 to Dirac + Bass Management might bring something to the plate IF your running more than 2 subwoofer's but even then I doubt it. I've got 2 SVS SB2000 subs and Audyssey did a first rate job with them.
I'd enjoy what your running now, it's a top notch arrangement that will be extreme hard to improve on .
Thanks for sharing and I mistyped, I also have a 4700 not a 4800 but it’s performing well best I can tell. I also leverage all external amps with the 4700 (ATI made AMPS by Monolith and Outlaw) and I have a MiniDSP for the subs. So I think that helps provide the bass management nicely although I'm sure it could be done way better by someone with more experience.

I don’t need more than the 11 processing channels it provides right now.

That was the question, how much of a sound quality difference can it make? To your point, probably not much assuming effective room correction

Last edited:

edconline

Other owners of this unit, what are you using as your maximum volume setting? I’m using RCA output to my amplifier (the XLR output had a horrendous noise floor with my Hypex amplifiers, I’d call it unusable, and I narrowed it down to the JBL - seemed to be a common complaint). With the RCA output though, I’m surprised how much I need to turn the volume up.

That said, based on my post-Dirac sweeps with REW, volume level 91 yields reference level with my amplifier/speakers. And looking at the results from Amir, yeah it isn’t great at that voltage (volume 90) but the signal looks unclipped still and decent enough Sinad. Looks like volume level 91 (and the corresponding voltage output) should still yield almost the same results as 90. Not that I listen at reference level often (ever?) but I set the volume limiter to 91, so that it’s there, and I can listen at “reference” if I wanted to, without danger of the JBL ever distorting the signal.

JRiggs

Other owners of this unit, what are you using as your maximum volume setting? I’m using RCA output to my amplifier (the XLR output had a horrendous noise floor with my Hypex amplifiers, I’d call it unusable, and I narrowed it down to the JBL - seemed to be a common complaint). With the RCA output though, I’m surprised how much I need to turn the volume up.

That said, based on my post-Dirac sweeps with REW, volume level 91 yields reference level with my amplifier/speakers. And looking at the results from Amir, yeah it isn’t great at that voltage (volume 90) but the signal looks unclipped still and decent enough Sinad. Looks like volume level 91 (and the corresponding voltage output) should still yield almost the same results as 90. Not that I listen at reference level often (ever?) but I set the volume limiter to 91, so that it’s there, and I can listen at “reference” if I wanted to, without danger of the JBL ever distorting the signal.
XLR and no noise at all. We usually don’t need to go about 72 on the volume and that’s loud in my system.

edconline

XLR and no noise at all. We usually don’t need to go about 72 on the volume and that’s loud in my system.
Yeah some people seems to have the right pairing of amplifier on XLR and no issues. Over on AVS though doing some searching and posting my issue it was prevalent enough that it was clearly not an isolated issue, or a “defect” with my unit. RCA is working perfectly though, so not a big deal.

JRiggs

When did you purchase yours? There was issues with the original XLR board that was fixed. The unit tested in this site was an early production unit with the defective board.

edconline

When did you purchase yours? There was issues with the original XLR board that was fixed. The unit tested in this site was an early production unit with the defective board.
yeah mine has the updated XLR board.

Krobar

That is a very high volume. What is the channel offset of the subwoofer compared to the other channels. Is the volume more than 10dB higher overall when Dirac is disabled?

edconline

That is a very high volume. What is the channel offset of the subwoofer compared to the other channels. Is the volume more than 10dB higher overall when Dirac is disabled?
Good question, I didn’t check without Dirac enabled. Subwoofer is -7.5db, LCR is around -0.5 and surrounds -3.0ish.
Amplifiers are Nord NC5xx and NC2xx, so as I understand it 25.5V gain. Not super low, but not exactly high. Speakers are Monoprice THX towers. 90db sensitivity, so again, not super high but not that low.

So with that setup, doing a sweep in REW of the FL speaker (Dirac enabled) gives me 105db averaged at the MLP, with volume set to 91.
Are you suggesting others (with similar amplifier gains/speaker sensitivity, and RCA output) are needing significantly less volume to reach 105db at their MLP? I guess it helps to add the room isn’t huge, it’s 3300ft3 or so, with MLP 12’ from front speakers.

Last edited:

Krobar

I have NC502 (Apollon) and NC252 (Nord) with my AV40. Using the RCA input those amps need only 1.6V for max output. My speaker a re couple of DB more sensitive and my room is a bit smaller but 80 volume is VERY loud and 90 unbearable for me.

Are you testing with a 0dB tone? Most THX tests use a -20dB or -30dB tone so you are aiming for 85dB for calibration.

Last edited:

Jbrunwa

I have NC502 (Apollon) and NC252 (Nord) with my AV40. Using the RCA input those amps need only 1.6V for max output. My speaker a re couple of DB more sensitive and my room is a bit smaller but 80 volume is VERY loud and 90 unbearable for me.

Are you testing with a 0dB tone? Most THX tests use a -20dB or -30dB tone so you are aiming for 85dB for calibration.
I have AV40 with XLR to Buckeye 6 channel NC502MP amps and Revel Be fronts with no audible noise. In theory this should be the same as JBL, but perhaps not in practice. There was originally a mute/unmute pop that was fixed when I returned the AV40 for the HDMI 2.1 upgrade. However IIRC there is no advantage to using XLR as the signal is derived post RCA. For me it was just a convenience as the Buckeye amps have only XLR inputs and I would have to use an RCA to XLR adapter for them. I use RCA for the sub.

edconline

That was doing a full range sweep 20-20 using REW. Then averaging the measured response (at the MLP) with 1/3 smoothing. Gave me 105db.

Now, is the output on my MBP HDMI with REW 0db? That I can’t say for sure.

Top Bottom