• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL M2 Reference Master Monitor Review

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of my many questions when I visited Harman was "Why do you not try to sell this speaker to the hifi market?". After reading this thread their answer really does make sense to me.

synthetic

The tuning file is loaded into the I Tech. If you want the CD or the woofer you simply just disconnect the other.
Not sure what you're getting at. I wasn't trying to figure out the unequalized driver response. My goal was to improve over the stock tunings, which could use some work imo.

JWAmerica

Larger speakers control directivity lower (unless it's a some sophisticated design like ME geithain or d&d)
dd 8c also has all electronics and drivers in a non-vented enclosure (less vented at least), I wonder how hot it gets inside if played loud for extended periods of time. Drivers are very ineffective thing, they mostly produce heat really.

The D&D 8c has a fan for the amp.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It does although I have never managed to get it to turn on.
Keith

HighImpactAV

I have attached the pdf showing the JBL M2 filters for the StormAudio processor. There is a lot of digital correction going on to to get the response measured by Erin. It requires 30 filters. Here is the transfer response showing what the filters are doing:
JBL M2 transfer response.png

Attachments

• stormaudio_jbl_m2_xover_filters.pdf
    584.4 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have attached the pdf showing the JBL M2 filters for the StormAudio processor. There is a lot of digital correction going to to get the response measured by Erin. It requires 30 filters. Here is the transfer response showing what the filters are doing:
View attachment 149426

@hardisj

would it be possible to measure the speaker with just the crossover filters? Since the response is so heavily modified to begin with, the design could reach D&D 8C linearity levels with the Klippel's resolution.

aac

The D&D 8c has a fan for the amp.
It appears to have different compartment for electronics then. That leaves us with 4 woofers with constrained space anyway. Shouldn't be a problem for the most people who buy them, but I still think it'll heat quite a bit with really loud listening.

MaxRockbin

who doesn't need a lot of oomph though? Dynamics are everything if not even more important than the FR itself.

I mean i would not buy this to put it on my desk but it's one hell of a speaker for anything else.
These guys definitely agree....
GD_Wall_of_Sound.jpg

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
@hardisj

would it be possible to measure the speaker with just the crossover filters? Since the response is so heavily modified to begin with, the design could reach D&D 8C linearity levels with the Klippel's resolution.

Not at this point. That sucker is huge and heavy and I don't have anyone to help me lift it back up on the stand; nor do I have the time to do that.

Last edited:
OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
It does although I have never managed to get it to turn on.
Keith

I had mine plugged in and powered on for days with intermittent loud volume listening sessions and never heard the fan. I don't know if it was even active. If it was, it's quiet.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I have attached the pdf showing the JBL M2 filters for the StormAudio processor. There is a lot of digital correction going on to to get the response measured by Erin. It requires 30 filters. Here is the transfer response showing what the filters are doing:
View attachment 149426

Interesting and significant boost >5kHz in the electronics there. I wonder if that has anything to do with the increased HD2 in my measurements.

Tom C

Major Contributor
I've always wondered how close they were. A number of M2 owners on AVS claim the M2s are better. I think I recall some "not in the same league" comments even, but I don't believe any have done a proper blinded comparison. I'm not saying the M2s aren't better sounding (even at a volume the 7 series are comfortable playing at), they may well be, but if so what is it in the spins that would indicate that might be the case?
Output at 30Hz
total power output capability across the entire FR.
so, about what you’d expect. Up to you if you think it’s worth the difference. For my money, I’m trying desperately to figure out how I’m going to pay for a pair of these. I’ve owned Tannoy, Kef, JBL and in my car, Revel. For me, JBL is where it’s at!

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Erin!

Could you tell me how the M2 + Crown amp compares to the 708p?
Both without SPL limit? Both neutral? So the same?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I wonder which compression driver needs a boost at 5k to10k? Thats where they usually enjoy to play?

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Interesting and significant boost >5kHz in the electronics there. I wonder if that has anything to do with the increased HD2 in my measurements.

It has nothing to do with increased HD2. Higher HD2 than usual is a product of construction of compression driver. Where CD's shine are every other harmonic above 2'nd. At 96dB every other harmonic is at -80dB. I've yet to see any tweeter beside compression driver do that. Even "higher" HD2 is mostly bellow 1% for the most part at 96dB.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
It has nothing to do with increased HD2. Higher HD2 than usual is a product of construction of compression driver. Where CD's shine are every other harmonic above 2'nd. At 96dB every other harmonic is at -80dB. I've yet to see any tweeter beside compression driver do that.

Understood. I am aware it is typical, but it is quite high compared to the other orders. Seeing the boosted FR in the electronics section makes me wonder if this wasn't the cause for the (higher than normal, relatively speaker) HD2 I saw in my results.

To be clear: I do not personally find an issue with this HD2. I am just noting it and the potential correlation. IOW, I don't think it matters either way.

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@hardisj Check Voice Coil magazine. All compression drivers have elevated HD2 compared to rest of the HD spectrum.

Top Bottom