• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL M2 Reference Master Monitor Review

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
yeah. The DI plot in the Spinorama is less revealing when the response itself is messier.
Yes, also its combining horizontal and vertical radiation so you could theoretically have a loudspeaker with each of them poor but the total summation smooth, which won't sound though as good as one where both are smooth.
That's also why such polar plots and/or plots of the individual horizontal and vertical reflections are needed and a single total DI spinorama plot is not really sufficient.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maths: 2 8 pouces equal :2pi*r^2 =100 pouces2
1 15 pouces 176 pouces2

The beloved d&d needs 3 8 pouces to compete with the m2.

It only needs to output 105 dB at the listening position to reach THX reference. Which means the Dutch and Dutch 8C is fine up to 4 meters away, sure you probably need the JBL M2 at longer distances but the D&D is more than capable of reference level too. At decent distances.

Zzzzz...

So an achievement for sure, but I suspect most 70x owners will not be much happier with M2 than what they already enjoy.
I've always wondered how close they were. A number of M2 owners on AVS claim the M2s are better. I think I recall some "not in the same league" comments even, but I don't believe any have done a proper blinded comparison. I'm not saying the M2s aren't better sounding (even at a volume the 7 series are comfortable playing at), they may well be, but if so what is it in the spins that would indicate that might be the case?

fluid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Were you driving it with its bespoke amplification and settings?
The answer is included in the review text on Erin's site

"As I mentioned in the intro, I used the matching Crown I-Tech 5000HD amplifier with the “JBL M2 Base Config” loaded into the DSP section. You can see this in the photo of the amplifier above. I changed no settings (even though I wanted to, just to see if I could improve the performance)."

aac

I've always wondered how close they were. A number of M2 owners on AVS claim the M2s are better. I think I recall some "not in the same league" comments even, but I don't believe any have done a proper blinded comparison. I'm not saying the M2s aren't better sounding (even at a volume the 7 series are comfortable playing at), they may well be, but if so what is it in the spins that would indicate that might be the case?
Larger speakers control directivity lower (unless it's a some sophisticated design like ME geithain or d&d)
Also they have a single driver playing 800-20000 without crossover.
705 and 708 sound different even at low level (not on all material, or at least it's not that obvious), and M2 is even more different from 708 than 705

The Dutch and Dutch 8C has two 8-inch subwoofers powered by a 500W amplifier, I think you're the one underestimating the D&D.
But it has a single 8 inch woofer to play from 100 to 1250 hz. M2 needs to play 30-800, but it can be offset to subwoofers if needed. dd 8c also has all electronics and drivers in a non-vented enclosure (less vented at least), I wonder how hot it gets inside if played loud for extended periods of time. Drivers are very ineffective thing, they mostly produce heat really.
I also believe that some studios have quite different SPL requirements as they need to listen to uncompressed material occasionally. People in studios seem to have no problem klipping neumann kh 310 for example.
There's a reason there are speakers like genelec 1236a in production (1 inch compression driver, 2x 5 inch midrange domes, 2x 18 inch woofers).

Last edited:

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@hardisj thank you for all your hard work Erin. Too bad links to your website are censored on ASR.
images

Koeitje

Major Contributor
It only needs to output 105 dB at the listening position to reach THX reference. Which means the Dutch and Dutch 8C is fine up to 4 meters away, sure you probably need the JBL M2 at longer distances but the D&D is more than capable of reference level too. At decent distances.
Compression? Distortion?

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I did blind testing at Harman with them and others...

aac

People in Studios also have access to Genelecs 8361A with W371A because they're not limited by price or aesthetics. They don't have to compromise between accuracy and output.
D&D 8c are comparable in price with M2, if you use non-crown amplification and blu-50 (or just measure blu50 and make dsp yourself), and if you consider repair potential M2 can be even "cheaper" long-term.
I think large horns look pretty aesthetic, a matter of taste here. size-wise they are not very different from m2 either unless you wall mount d&d 8c.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
D&D 8c are comparable in price with M2, if you use non-crown amplification and blu-50 (or just measure blu50 and make dsp yourself),
Not sure how you come up with that..

and if you consider repair potential M2 can be even "cheaper" long-term.
Nobody keeps anything long term anyway. :p

I think large horns look pretty aesthetic, a matter of taste here. size-wise they are not very different from m2 either unless you wall mount d&d 8c.
Please forgive me but is that what you tell her? Seriously, the M2's are MUCH bigger.

synthetic

How did you do the EQ, by hand in REW?
1. Split the data from CEA2034.txt into different files for each curve.
2. Use import frequency response in REW on each file
3. Select a curve. I chose to optimize the listening window because that seems like what jbl originally did.
4. Head to the EQ window and tweak with the predicted resoonse. Save your EQ settings to a file when you're finished.
5. Load the same EQ file into the each non-di curve.
6 Go to the overlays window and view the predicted response of the system.

Reactions: Ata

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1. Split the data from CEA2034.txt into different files for each curve.
2. Use import frequency response in REW on each file
3. Select a curve. I chose to optimize the listening window because that seems like what jbl originally did.
4. Head to the EQ window and tweak with the predicted resoonse. Save your EQ settings to a file when you're finished.
5. Load the same EQ file into the each non-di curve.
6 Go to the overlays window and view the predicted response of the system.
The tuning file is loaded into the I Tech. If you want the CD or the woofer you simply just disconnect the other.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
So, let me get this straight. Members are apparently in raptures over a 'speaker' that has been tested, resplendant with its high powered, dedicated amplifer programmed with specific DSP/PEQ settings in order to best show how good or capable it is?

Confused here. If it is a loudspeaker, test it as such. If it is a system, report the system as a whole.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So, let me get this straight. Members are apparently in raptures over a 'speaker' that has been tested, resplendant with its high powered, dedicated amplifer programmed with specific DSP/PEQ settings in order to best show how good or capable it is?

Confused here. If it is a loudspeaker, test it as such. If it is a system, report the system as a whole.

the speaker is an active design but the amplifier, DAC, DSP and powersupply are outside the speaker enclosure. Erin indeed tested the 'system as a whole' as he used the 'go to' amplifiers for them.

there is nothing here to be confused about. people are just discovering how resolving the Klippel is as the 'Harman Audio System' showed it as completely flat.

aac

Not sure how you come up with that..
I though d&d 8c were around 12-15 thousand euro, looks like I'm wrong they are "just" 8500. So my mistake here, agree.
Please forgive me but is that what you tell her? Seriously, the M2's are MUCH bigger.
W x H x D
JBL M2 508mm x 1256mm x 355.6mm
D&D 270mm x 485mm x 380mm
Height isn't important really (unless like I said you use wallmount they'll use space on the floor anyway, in fact a lot of times I see stands that have widespread legs for stability, so it might take even more space).
So it's 508mm x 355 mm vs 270 x 380. I won't call it that big of a difference (1.8 by area). M2s are a little bit more shallow actually. Moving them is another topic.
Wall mounts change things a lot and DD become much "smaller" speaker.

Top Bottom