• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL M2 Reference Master Monitor Review

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Do you have a dog picture for this BIG DOG? LOL

View attachment 149448

download-1_1..jpg

;)

Last edited:

tuga

Major Contributor
The upper-midrange and treble look shelved up by some 3-5dB and there’s something very weird happening below 500Hz.
Wasn’t this supposed to be le nec plus ultra?

tuga

Major Contributor
I don't know. In terms of controlled directivity over a big range, this may be the best we've seen so far. Also, we have to consider dynamics as part of the equation. These speakers will likely do almost 130dB with subs helping the low end.

Could the waveguide be masking some serious issues?

nerdoldnerdith

It only needs to output 105 dB at the listening position to reach THX reference. Which means the Dutch and Dutch 8C is fine up to 4 meters away, sure you probably need the JBL M2 at longer distances but the D&D is more than capable of reference level too. At decent distances.
That just isn't true unfortunately. The cardioid design of the 8C's midrange makes it inefficient, and it has to be driven pretty hard to reach the same SPL as it would play without the vents. Dutch&Dutch specifies a max SPL of 106dB, which is only reference at a little over a meter. This limitation is the speaker's main weakness.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm out of the loop, why are links to Erin's site blocked on ASR?
By request from special member(s), the block has been removed.

aac

I don't think "THX reference" is any good, I think ATSC got it more right with reference level dependent on a room size.
How common are rooms larger than 20000 cubic feet in the US for a home theatre?

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
I don't think "THX reference" is any good, I think ATSC got it more right with reference level dependent on a room size.
How common are rooms larger than 20000 cubic feet in the US for a home theatre?

And I'll add, more common than you might think. My father's work took (and occasionally still takes, though he's technically retired) him to more real mansions than a Beverley Hills real estate agent would see. One of his observations was how large the rooms that are for "show" would be--drawing rooms, solariums, and yes, theaters. And yet the kitchens (where my family chooses to put a lot of resources into) were usually unimpressive! I guess the uber rich don't cook!

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The upper-midrange and treble look shelved up by some 3-5dB and there’s something very weird happening below 500Hz.
Wasn’t this supposed to be le nec plus ultra?
Not really surprising giving the rather variable responses I've seen concerning the D2430k compression driver. It seems the quality control is below par for those drivers resulting in a bit of a hit-and-miss with the factory dsp-settings.
Part of the story could very well be if there's some variances in impedance in the driver relative to the passive filter that acts as both a downpadding and part of the crossover.

A weak spot of the driver is the horse-shoe clad cable connecting the two membranes, it's really vulnerable to movement/vibrations. Any slack in the connection will lead to massive distortion. I experienced differences such as this just by shaking the cabinet a little between measurements;

VT test 4.jpg

VT test1.jpg

VT test2.jpg

@hardisj Thank you for the review! I just want to comment on that 5+dB shelving filter in the tweeter that looks intimidating in the EQ settings. This is the result of constant directivity horns, you'll get a steep decline no matter what driver you put in. Here's a non-eq'd comparison of the JBL M2 D2430k driver vs 18sound 4015 Beryllium driver on the M2 horn;

4015be vs 2430k.jpg

oldsysop

You can't compare a toy speaker like the D&D to a serious speaker like the JBL M2.
Thanks Erin.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, and I was really curious about one thing concerning the waveguide; how does it measure diagonally? Those knuckles horizontally and vertically pinches in a way that broadens the dispersion in those directions, but what about diagonally?
Can this be shown @hardisj?

Top Bottom