• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is 2023 safe to buy an AVR...?

rana_kirti

Multiple HDMI 2.1, Hdcp 2.3, 4k/120hz, Auro3D. Dirac firmware update options.

is it safe to say that this is the PERFECT time to buy an AVR for the long term?

Seems nothing in the upcoming future will render 2023 AVRs obsolete any time soon.

Or are there any particular technology/feature in the immediate pipeline which will nesseciate a compulsory AVR upgrade?

I think it is. I just bought a new Marantz and my last one was from 2015. It has all the bells & whistles I'm aware of. I feed my video devices through it to my TV and AFAIK, it has all the current video & audio standards. Unless my crystal ball is wrong, I think the only future standards may be 8K, which I don't care about.

As you hinted at, there may be something in the works better than DIRAC, but I doubt it'll be revolutionary better.

Seems nothing in the upcoming future will render 2023 AVRs obsolete any time soon.
Don't worry, there are lots of designers in the industry whose daily job is to come up with something new, be it a new audio or video format or room EQ feature or app and cloud service etc, to convince us customers to replace our good old working products. :)

Notice how I did not mention better measurements with lower price, those unfortunately have been stagnated...

have decided to wait till confirmation of Dirac ART in AVRs.

after reading around a bit feel that's the most important tech to have and if it's as good as they say it is then all AVRs without it will be essentially obselete.

after reading around a bit feel that's the most important tech to have and if it's as good as they say it is then all AVRs without it will be essentially obselete.
Seems like Integra 8.4 will get it.

Obsolete he says.

I currently use a 3808ci too. I could have never afforded one when they first came out but was thrilled to buy a couple of them in "like new" condition for $150 each. Really nice sounding AVR for my needs.
Still works beautifully with my 1080p plasma. I use outboard amps for the 3 main channels to keep the heat down.

Reactions: GPJ
I also use DVD-3910 and DVD-2930ci connected through Denon Link for multichannel SACD and DVD-A ..... really incredible. Also bought them for peanuts a few years back ...
I toyed with that idea but then saw the price of SACD discs and decided a streamer would be better. My hearing allows me to enjoy the budget options.

Back
Top Bottom