• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introducing Directiva - An ASR open source platform speaker project

hex168

I am taking careful notes on this entire thread. Thank you, Rick, crtl and other contributors.

Bluefuzz made a critical point for me, "A project that is either too ugly or too difficult (or both) to build is doomed from the start."

One technique I am considering for diffraction reduction and build simplicity is an upholstered cabinet, covered with a couple of inches of acoustic insulation and one of the nicer Guilford of Maine fabrics. Is that too ugly, or just different?

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am taking careful notes on this entire thread. Thank you, Rick, crtl and other contributors.

Bluefuzz made a critical point for me, "A project that is either too ugly or too difficult (or both) to build is doomed from the start."

One technique I am considering for diffraction reduction and build simplicity is an upholstered cabinet, covered with a couple of inches of acoustic insulation and one of the nicer Guilford of Maine fabrics. Is that too ugly, or just different?

Not sure exactly what you are proposing, but suggest you start a new thread and post a pic or two. Bluefuzz has a point if you are hoping others will build, but if it is what I wanted, would not stop me. ;)

My wife would like if the sound just appeared from thin air! Until this is possible, will have different designers building what they prefer and we have a whole thread devoted to ugly ones. If you need a litmus test, look there and see if your concept matches any of them. I also posted this thread based on AudioXpress article on future speaker directions and it includes some unusual pieces.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
If the number of speakers appearing in both the 'beautiful speakers' and 'ugly speakers' threads is anything to go by you'll never get agreement on what constitutes 'too ugly.' Difficulty of construction is probably easier to agree on.

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Truncated pyramid is not ugly at all to me:

https://rossofiorentino.com/fiesole/

Good veneer, some paint and little bit of elbow grease will make it look great. This is DIY part of it. Do It Yourself - use Your imagination and don't expect others to make it pretty for you.

Given that this is scientific based forum, we should make the best possible acoustic result and then everyone should make it presentable for themselves with little imagination.

Oh, and i really don't understand this WAF shit. 15 years ago, when i started dating the girl (that is now my wife) i had 140 liter 12"+waveguide loudspeakers in 14m2 room. She is interior designer by profession and not once she ever told me that my loudspeakers are ugly and that they don't belong in the living room. She understands how much hifi means to me. What kind of women hifi guys are marrying ? The first one that says -Yup, i'll marry you if i have to- ?

Next time your wife tells you that your speakers are ugly and will not tolerate it in your living room, say that she can leave it any time. Grow a pair.

Last edited:

tktran303

Forum Donor
My spouse would like to have a grand piano in a 20x30m dedicated music and library room. She loves the sound from our 1.5m tall WMTMW speakers, but it drives her crazy that she has to press 6 different buttons in a particular order to some music started. And every few months I’d make some component change that breaks things and she can’t play music when I’m not home
“What have you done? That’s so annoying!!”

But she already knew I was a music nut when we first dated... there were no speakers sitting on the floor or pushed into corners at my house- all were ear height, far away from walls.

On the other hand. she can enjoy music playing directly from her phone laying on the kitchen bench!

One must consider one lucky to have a spouse who understands one’s passion or hobby.

Not about growing a pair or exerting who is right and wrong. Equal respect and consideration, male or female.

I’d like my daughter to know that when she grows up.

Last edited:

muad

Truncated pyramid is not ugly at all to me:

https://rossofiorentino.com/fiesole/

Good veneer, some paint and little bit of elbow grease will make it look great. This is DIY part of it. Do It Yourself - use Your imagination and don't expect others to make it pretty for you.

Given that this is scientific based forum, we should make the best possible acoustic result and then everyone should make it presentable for themselves with little imagination.

Oh, and i really don't understand this WAF shit. 15 years ago, when i started dating the girl (that is now my wife) i had 140 liter 12"+waveguide loudspeakers in 14m2 room. She is interior designer by profession and not once she ever told me that my loudspeakers are ugly and that they don't belong in the living room. She understands how much hifi means to me. What kind of women hifi guys are marrying ? The first one that says -Yup, i'll marry you if i have to- ?

Next time your wife tells you that your speakers are ugly and will not tolerate it in your living room, say that she can leave it any time. Grow a pair.

They did a great job with that speaker! If I end up building one of these, I'm copying that design!!

Reactions: Zvu

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Love this idea and plan to follow this thread closely. I sold my woodworking tools years ago. I wish I hadn't, but I'm not going to buy them again. I would be very happy to pay for a flat pack. Something to consider.

Thanks,
Martin

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
you'll never get agreement on what constitutes 'too ugly.' Difficulty of construction is probably easier to agree on.
Since this project has been announced as a public open-source design presumably Rick et al. hope it will gain as many contributors as possible and many people will want to build and own it. There is perhaps even a hope it may gain some kind of ASR-reference status. If it is to appeal to a wide range of potential builders (who may even have 'significant others' to consider) then I think it wise to err on the conservative side both with regard to complexity of construction and æsthetics unless there are very compelling reasons not to.

Zvu

OT

............ Equal respect and consideration, male or female.

I’d like my daughter to know that when she grows up.

Exactly.

I have a daughter and a son and trying to show them that. You don't criticize or suppress each other's benign hobbies and interests - at least if you want to stay married you don't. My hobby is loudspeaker building. My spouse likes to hand craft jewelry. Who would i be if i tried to stop her if that is what makes her happy? I like when she's happy and vice versa.

buz

Forum Donor
Following this thread with a lot of interest.

Been wondering about the electronic side, seeing that there are also plans to build a streamer, how about running the crossover in software (e.g.,CamillaDSP), at least for people who do not need analog inputs? Of course that does not quite solve the issue of needing a 4chan DAC (6 if we want subs) and amplification...

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since it is simple, quick and fairly inexpensive, will start prototyping with the Denovo cabinet. Normally, would have overnight, but weather had delayed shipping, so took an extra day. I ordered 3. One of the boxes had a major gash, but fortunately PE knows how to pack, so no damage AFAIK. Here they are stacked to move to my workshop...
29C20A41-6A09-4184-B58E-E320A42943BC.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since there is more space in the loading dock area (aka our living room), thought would share some initial pics. Here is the Denovo flat pack parts...

A44EDE97-D28A-4036-968C-253B6DE6FB42.jpeg

If you used these before, you would notice a different milling design pattern. Normally the dados would be on the back. This one is done on the sides. This makes it easier to create blanks for the back baffle. For Directiva this means I should be able to more readily swap between various vented vs passive radiator alignments. However dual Purifi PRs will be a tight fit. The machining is excellent with nice tolerances. Here is a dry fit pic...

362A24A7-5010-460B-B918-45034BC3B76A.jpeg

Kadent

This is an interesting idea for sure. I'm not sure I can put in much help (to my limited knowledge) and I do know that there are many experts on this forum but will be super cool to follow how the project progresses.

Is it decided which amplifier will be used?

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is an interesting idea for sure. I'm not sure I can put in much help (to my limited knowledge) and I do know that there are many experts on this forum but will be super cool to follow how the project progresses.

Is it decided which amplifier will be used?

My current plan is to use a Hypex NC252MP.

I also have a Dayton APA150 that will serve as a budget amp.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From the looks/performance standpoint I think that's a good choice. The price I'm guessing is somewhere from 3-400.

Have you decided on drivers, and how they will be implemented? Sealed/ported/PR?

Plan will allow for either vented or passive radiator(s). Drivers are selected. See earlier in thread for details.

Kadent

Why not opposing PR on either side like Kia III? Does your modelling indicate better results with PRs on the back?

I know Focal also does opposing PR on their monitors as well. Maybe this particular woofer does not need 2 PR's so that will just be an extra waste of money. That's my guess. And in some cases 1 PR actually does better then 2, but it all depends

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not opposing PR on either side like Kia III? Does your modelling indicate better results with PRs on the back?

There are always possibilities. ;) Just trying to keep it simple for now. Also a bit concerned about locating PRs where they may be more exposed to potential damage. Notably, while they get moved around as I build and test.

In the simpler-to-build case, rear mounting could likely be flush mounted too. The more optimized cabinet will have to use the sides for dual PRs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom