• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

techsamurai

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nice work!

Why does the 3000 Micro have a much different SPL measurement at 20-30hz in the top chart than the 2nd chart?

I love the B&W person put a base under it to protect it :) I do like the look of that sub.

I wish the KEF KC62 was there cause it drops sooooo low for its size.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
0wos01.jpg

I recently tested the Marty McFly subwoofer. 145 dB at 12.5 hz. Two foot excursion. Two of the testers lost their crowns. Three people walking nearby will now require hernia operations. Recommend getting two for maximum impact.
Did it hit the brown note?

radix

Major Contributor
Why does the 3000 Micro have a much different SPL measurement at 20-30hz in the top chart than the 2nd chart?
That's an interesting question. The top chart is a tool calibration at 80 dB SPL @ 2m and the second is a frequency response at 85 dB SPL at 100 Hz @ 2m. I wonder if adding that +5 dB SPL caused the speaker to use a different loudness profile? I didn't think the 3000 micro had dynamic frequency response.

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
Nice work!

I love the B&W person put a base under it to protect it :) I do like the look of that sub.

I wish the KEF KC62 was there cause it drops sooooo low for its size.
That's an interesting question. The top chart is a tool calibration at 80 dB SPL @ 2m and the second is a frequency response at 85 dB SPL at 100 Hz @ 2m. I wonder if adding that +5 dB SPL caused the speaker to use a different loudness profile? I didn't think the 3000 micro had dynamic frequency response.

Great question!

The FR curve in the top chart consists of the first attempt to prepare for the measurement (Green) and the data that offset it (simply duplicating the curve).

So the Blue curve is not the actual response at 80 dB SPL, which could be more or less than that.

And the distortion that results from this output is non-linear and can be accentuated by a smaller volume box.

just1n

Forum Donor
@Nuyes
What is the reason/difference between Fundemental (green) and *Fundamental duplicate (blue) in the calibration graphs? I ask because the gap between the two on the 3000 micros is quite notable.

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
@Nuyes
What is the reason/difference between Fundemental (green) and *Fundamental duplicate (blue) in the calibration graphs? I ask because the gap between the two on the 3000 micros is quite notable.
That's a good question.

I responded to members who asked the same question as you in the comments above.

You have a sharp eye!

milosz

Forum Donor
Please describe your DIY subwoofer - what driver, what kind of enclosure.... a picture would be nice

techsamurai

Great question!

The FR curve in the top chart consists of the first attempt to prepare for the measurement (Green) and the data that offset it (simply duplicating the curve).

So the Blue curve is not the actual response at 80 dB SPL, which could be more or less than that.

And the distortion that results from this output is non-linear and can be accentuated by a smaller volume box.

SVS lists the following:

• Freq. Response | 23-240 Hz ±3 dB

I see -3db around 38hz on the top chart.

This chart shows -3db at ~26/27hz.

The bottom chart is closer to SVS's claims. I'm just not sure what value is correct here.

index.php

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
Please describe your DIY subwoofer - what driver, what kind of enclosure.... a picture would be nice

Thanks for your interest in my DIY subwoofer.

The design of this speaker is very simple.

It is a 300mm x 300mm x 300mm cube design, and all the walls are made of 30T MDF.

With L26RO4Y driver.

I also used Neutrik for the connectors, and all I did was add a small amount of sound absorbing material inside.

_SY_2626-2.jpeg
_SY_2629.jpeg
_SY_2630.jpeg

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
SVS lists the following:

• Freq. Response | 23-240 Hz ±3 dB

I see -3db around 38hz on the top chart.

This chart shows -3db at ~26/27hz.

The bottom chart is closer to SVS's claims. I'm just not sure what value is correct here.

index.php
Subwoofers with sealed designs are dominated by the volume inside the box.

The motion of the speaker (at least in LF) is determined by [the strength of the magnet and coil], [the moving mass], and [the stiffness/compliance of the suspension].

And when you install a subwoofer in a sealed box, the air inside the box is coupled to the suspension system.

So the more the speaker driver moves, the more the suspension will change in real time, and this is one of the main reasons why the FR magnitude response changes.

And the smaller the box, the more this effect is exaggerated.

ajax247

Forum Donor
Thanks for your interest in my DIY subwoofer.

The design of this speaker is very simple.

It is a 300mm x 300mm x 300mm cube design, and all the walls are made of 30T MDF.

With L26RO4Y driver.

I also used Neutrik for the connectors, and all I did was add a small amount of sound absorbing material inside.

View attachment 322100View attachment 322101View attachment 322099
Excellent work! How do you drive it? Does your amp have a mono out for a subwoofer? Are you using MiniDSP or similar to shape the frequency response? How did you blend the response with your main speakers?

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
Excellent work! How do you drive it? Does your amp have a mono out for a subwoofer? Are you using MiniDSP or similar to shape the frequency response? How did you blend the response with your main speakers?

I built two of these subwoofers.

IMG_6096.jpeg

IMG_6070.jpeg

then blend them to the main speakers using Crown XLS1002 and Minidsp SHD.

The subwoofers are now symmetrically placed in the room, front to back, top to bottom, and the photo above shows my rear subwoofer setup.

(To remove the room mode)

ajax247

Forum Donor
I built two of these subwoofers.

View attachment 322104

View attachment 322105
then blend them to the main speakers using Crown XLS1002 and Minidsp SHD.

The subwoofers are now symmetrically placed in the room, front to back, top to bottom, and the photo above shows my rear subwoofer setup.

(To remove the room mode)
Are they radiating upward then? Your room -- acoustic tile, and very nice wooden structures as sound absorbers or mode eaters?

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
Are they radiating upward then? Your room -- acoustic tile, and very nice wooden structures as sound absorbers or mode eaters?
Yes, the installation orientation is.

Since the bass range covered by the subwoofer is nearly omnidirectional, I prioritized placing the drivers in the corners of the room as much as possible.

Also, my studio is surrounded by a lot of sound-absorbing materials.

The wooden structure you found is also a sound absorber. :)

Since room mode has maximum pressure at the point closest to the wall, you can install subwoofers facing each other to cancel each other out.

ajax247

Forum Donor
A most elegant setup! Did you use Dirac or similar to set the frequency response of the speakers and subs? For a front-of-the-room seating position?

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
A most elegant setup! Did you use Dirac or similar to set the frequency response of the speakers and subs? For a front-of-the-room seating position?
Yes, I used Dirac.

And before using it, I first fine-tuned the alignment between each woofer and speaker response with manual EQ via REW measurements, and then calibrated with the help of Dirac afterward.

ajax247

Forum Donor
I expect you gave your speaker choice a lot of thought. Are they DIY as well? 2-way, 3-way, monitor or larger?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but your work is very impressive. Thanks for sharing!!!

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
I expect you gave your speaker choice a lot of thought. Are they DIY as well? 2-way, 3-way, monitor or larger?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but your work is very impressive. Thanks for sharing!!!

I'm using an Arendal 1961 tower, which is a 2.5-way MTM structure. (With four woofers)

I measured the 1961 bookshelf and monitor shortly after Arendal sound began to be imported to South Korea and was blown away by the performance and ideal design philosophy.

As a result, I asked the distributor and ended up owning a 1961 tower.

And while I've never disclosed it directly to ASR, I've measured Arendal's drivers separately, including SB, Purifi, and Dayton (those are the LSI measurements Erin posts on EAC).

Arendal Sound has excellent driver design skills.
I was pleasantly surprised.

Thanks to them, I had found my studio mate.

lewdish

It would be great to see if theres any way to get some Rythmik Subwoofers sent over to measure~

Top Bottom