• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've always thought of the SB-1000 Pro (and SB-2000 Pro) as more like 30-35 Hz speakers at full volume. I have the SB-2000 Pro, so not knocking it. it's small, and that was the compromise I was willing to make for it.

It all comes down to how loud you want to listen. In the charts, the SB-1000 Pro does 20 Hz at 90 db SPL @ 3m. If you cut the rest of the frequencies to, say 95 dB, it will do just fine (you also get room reinforcement). But if you want that 100 dB SPL it can do at the mid-bass, you won't get the lows.
(at 2m though, not 3m - his graphs are at 2m)

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MAB

Major Contributor
I have a question to you as a Neumann user with two KH 750:
If I would combine a pair of KH 150 or a pair of the KH 120 II with two of these KH 750 Subwoofers (one for the left Channel and one for the right Channel) with a crossover Frequency of -let’s say- 100 Hz: is it possible to „tell“ the two subwoofers, that they have to handle a stereo signal with separate signals for left and right also below 100 Hz?
Or will they handle every signal below the crossover frequency as a Summn Signal - e. g. a Signal that is Mono (as it would be the case if you would just use one single KH 750 subwoofer)?
Are here (same Szenario) any differences between Neuman and Genelec and their dedicated subwoofers?
1698515618264.png

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Teriffic work, thank you.

The Neumann is the surprise for me, although at $1700 it really ought to be very good. To their credit, they are giving real value for the money, especially when you couple it with one of their monitors, and their proprietary DSP. Just a hassle free way to get an edge of the art near field 2 channel monitor system---for a premium price.

The Arendals are also fantastic, though they are a little more expensive than the SVS.

The two SVS are also very good. Important to note here that the original SB 2000 which holds its own with these higher priced models, is regularly on sale for $500. If you have your own DSP, bass management, etc, it's a steal.

And I'm not sure things like the Polk and the small SVS or, for that matter, the Kef KC62 should even be called subwoofers. To me, a subwoofer is a dedicated speaker engineered to play loud into the lowest octave. It should, at the very least, be able to hit 25 hz (and preferable 20 hz) at something approaching 100 db with distortion held to the CEA-2010 standard. Those smaller boxes just don't do that at all. They're just woofers, really, and their subwoofer designation is a marketing ploy, nothing more.

fzst

@Nuyes wow thanks for your huge effort, it's very much appreciated!
Very interesting data.

NDRQ

Holy sh.t, that was some real great work, thanks.

fzst

That's a lot of work, and you got some nice subs there! The Arenal's and KH750 look pretty good, and the DIY. I wish you could have done the 1723 too!
I agree. The 1961 measures really well and it's time domain related measurements suggest a reason for why many say they sound better/tighter than their SVS counterpart.
Would be really interesting to see if the 1723 models measure even better there since Arendal is saying that the 1723 models sound better.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not so sure about it, but if you tell your avr/avp that you have no sub it will probably route the sub signal to the main speakers.
Then connect the main speakers' pre-out to the subwoofers. One takes left, the other right.
That only workks with dsp speakers that can manage the crossover.
Would the room correction work ? I don't know...

If you tell your avp/avr you have no sub then no re-direction of bass takes place. LFE signal from avp/avr is generally not routed to mains or other speakers.

Penelinfi

Teriffic work, thank you.

The Neumann is the surprise for me, although at $1700 it really ought to be very good. To their credit, they are giving real value for the money, especially when you couple it with one of their monitors, and their proprietary DSP. Just a hassle free way to get an edge of the art near field 2 channel monitor system---for a premium price.

The Arendals are also fantastic, though they are a little more expensive than the SVS.

The two SVS are also very good. Important to note here that the original SB 2000 which holds its own with these higher priced models, is regularly on sale for $500. If you have your own DSP, bass management, etc, it's a steal.

And I'm not sure things like the Polk and the small SVS or, for that matter, the Kef KC62 should even be called subwoofers. To me, a subwoofer is a dedicated speaker engineered to play loud into the lowest octave. It should, at the very least, be able to hit 25 hz (and preferable 20 hz) at something approaching 100 db with distortion held to the CEA-2010 standard. Those smaller boxes just don't do that at all. They're just woofers, really, and their subwoofer designation is a marketing ploy, nothing more.
They're called subwoofers because they are designed to player lower frequencies than woofers according to expected driver sizes of the main speakers. You likely won't be using a kc62 with 12" mains nor a 15" sub with 3" mains.
It's also just for ease of identification; a separate box from main speakers designed to play bass frequencies.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Epic,amazing,grandioze effort,thanks for that!
Seems that the trades still stand,despite the technology going forward and the serious SPL's with low distortion stand out.

(I envy the gathering,one of the great gains of this hobby! )

audiofooled

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Tremendous effort, thank you for sharing!
Also, special thanks for showing how much value there is in DIY :cool:

Hart

0wos01.jpg

I recently tested the Marty McFly subwoofer. 145 dB at 12.5 hz. Two foot excursion. Two of the testers lost their crowns. Three people walking nearby will now require hernia operations. Recommend getting two for maximum impact.

Top Bottom