• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Human memory may be unreliable after just a few seconds, scientists find

DonR

Major Contributor

“Even at the shortest term, our memory might not be fully reliable,” said Dr Marte Otten, the first author of the research from the University of Amsterdam. “Particularly when we have strong expectations about how the world should be, when our memory starts fading a little bit – even after one and a half seconds, two seconds, three seconds – then we start filling in based on our expectations.”

oh dear.... :D

sq225917

Major Contributor
Partly, but then why is it i can identify a remix/ remaster of a favourite tune when I hear it, they always stand out like a saw thumb.

Martinvb

Partly, but then why is it i can identify a remix/ remaster of a favourite tune when I hear it, they always stand out like a saw thumb.
Because what you hear does not fully match with what you expect and there is ongoing evidence available to check this assumption? If this context is lacking this becomes more difficult. Indeed we tend to register the novelty of an experience, not so much the repetitive aspects.

Martinvb

Willem

Major Contributor
This is a fascinating article for more than one reason.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. I thought the exact opposite - what a waste of an article.

One research says when we are presented with an inverted image of a shape we are familiar with, we struggle to remember it. Groundbreaking. Lets put a remotely relevant title on it that would attract attention, publish it on the website and call it neuroscience section. Named first author of the research is from Social and Behavioral Sciences, how is this neuroscience?

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I meant the Philips research
Oh. Right. Yes, that is indeed interesting. Who would have thought that the answer to smaller subs would be a bridge rectifier. Shame next year Philips exited consumer audio business. Maybe they would be able to come up with something that actually worked. Thank you for pointing out the other article :)

JktHifi

Machines are boring whereas Human are exciting. Because sometimes we need to forget something, not just stay like non-volatile memory. It’s more exciting if we found someone lost memory then remember again.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course we've already known this for years with regard to audio. That why sites like this insist the only valid audio tests are double blind, level matched (to within .1 db) tests with instantaneous switching. That doesn't mean you won't notice egregious differences (like the presence of 15 percent IMD at 1kz), but your memory will be of your perception, not the actual sound.

Reddoc

Unless the researchers made notes about the results of their tests within one-and-a-half seconds, then their research is totally unreliable.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
"Human memory may be unreliable after just a few seconds"

Not for everyone.

Hyperthymesia

Last edited:

Dimitri

Probably because it doesn't involve looking at letters of the alphabet like they used in the study !

From the study: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0283257
"All experiments rely on the extensive experience participants have with the alphabet. Previous experience with letters should have provided participants with abundant evidence that letters typically appear in their standard form. This should provide strong internal expectations about the appearance of the letters of the alphabet"

Top Bottom