• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I flashed the BHD firmware on my Sonata HD Pro and after hours of usage I had no problems whatsoever, it did really made the sound so much louder (2x louder more or less) but I reverted back to stock v3.0 firmware since the device gets noticeably hotter with the BHD firmware.
That's normal as it uses more power. Hopefully a proper firmware update for S8/S HD Pro (and S BHD if already not included) will follow soon with inclusion of Cirrus Logic CS43131 roll over fix.
https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/快讯-目前绝大部分cs43131芯片的小以巴都有bug/
So far TempoTec had deacent track record regarding drivers/firmware updates.

hxsm

Yes, it can power the p1. You may have to "trick" it into high gain mode first (plus an empty 3.5mm extension / blank plug in when connecting to phone, then plug headphones into extension. Plenty of volume on the p1 even when some 3-6db of pre amp reduction for EQ.
Thank you for taking the time!
I have another question if you dont mind.

How does it sound? Does it sound as good its supposed to be? Or does it sound dull and veiled on the sonata hd pro?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for taking the time!
I have another question if you dont mind.

How does it sound? Does it sound as good its supposed to be? Or does it sound dull and veiled on the sonata hd pro?

Sounded pretty good . The P1 do need more oomph than youd get from a lot of phone 3.5mm sockets but sounded clear to me, not underdriven from the Sonata HD Pro and like I say, this was losing a few db for EQ. I didnt max the volume either. Via USB Audio Player Pro app on Android.

Now, if you really wanted to know you were getting the most out of the P1, get a 2.5mm balanced cable and the E1DA9038S , but thats $100 not $40

hxsm

Sounded pretty good . The P1 do need more oomph than youd get from a lot of phone 3.5mm sockets but sounded clear to me, not underdriven from the Sonata HD Pro and like I say, this was losing a few db for EQ. I didnt max the volume either. Via USB Audio Player Pro app on Android.

Now, if you really wanted to know you were getting the most out of the P1, get a 2.5mm balanced cable and the E1DA9038S , but thats $100 not $40

Thank you very much for your input!

I have a dedicated desktop amp, but for my commute i'm using tempotec v1a with hd sonata pro. All this while i've been using the chifi around $50 and somehow nowadays i developed fatigue from listening to BA iems, and trying to find one that is more musical than accurate. Heard good things about planar and would love to give them a try. I mostly listen to soft/alternative rock, classical, blues, jazz and pop.

Again, thank you for taking the time!

hxsm

I flashed the BHD firmware on my Sonata HD Pro and after hours of usage I had no problems whatsoever, it did really made the sound so much louder (2x louder more or less) but I reverted back to stock v3.0 firmware since the device gets noticeably hotter with the BHD firmware.
I tried doing this but to no avail. It wont let me flash my sonata hd pro with bhd firmware. it just gives error and my sonata hd pro wont work after that. luckily enough i can just flash the old firmware back into it. pity. that constant 2 volt definitely is going to help my prospective tin p1.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you very much for your input!

I have a dedicated desktop amp, but for my commute i'm using tempotec v1a with hd sonata pro. All this while i've been using the chifi around $50 and somehow nowadays i developed fatigue from listening to BA iems, and trying to find one that is more musical than accurate. Heard good things about planar and would love to give them a try. I mostly listen to soft/alternative rock, classical, blues, jazz and pop.

Again, thank you for taking the time!

The P1 are nothing special by the way. I dont view them as sounding like full size planars. I like them, but for your purposes I would just find a pair of IEM you like . Try some EQ on them , boost the bass a few dB

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried doing this but to no avail. It wont let me flash my sonata hd pro with bhd firmware. it just gives error and my sonata hd pro wont work after that. luckily enough i can just flash the old firmware back into it. pity. that constant 2 volt definitely is going to help my prospective tin p1.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016AHYRNW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Solves your 2v problem. Plug that into the Sonata before plugging into device, then plug headphones into adapter when its recognised and live.

hxsm

The P1 are nothing special by the way. I dont view them as sounding like full size planars. I like them, but for your purposes I would just find a pair of IEM you like . Try some EQ on them , boost the bass a few dB

Aww thats kind of a letdown. Thought it would work great for cclassical/acoustic/jazz. Problem is with the chifi is that i dont get to audition it first before buying.

Would you recommend a single driver iem that is musical and harmony rather than accurate? i understand that better bass or cleaner highs doesnt equate to iems being musical. right now my only other option is either tin t4 or moondrop starfield.

I'm getting out of topic here. I am very sorry.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@hxsm how about earbuds instead?
The Creative Aurvana Air are quite good for gernes you enlisted. On the discount day's you can gat them for around 60~70$ from Amazon but those aren't much flexible regarding EQ-ing. I know you said single driver and fatigue from BA but check out Aurvana trio they are DD +2 BA but BA's are only used for uper highs and those are very flexible regarding EQ-ing, price is around 100$.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Aww thats kind of a letdown. Thought it would work great for cclassical/acoustic/jazz. Problem is with the chifi is that i dont get to audition it first before buying.

Would you recommend a single driver iem that is musical and harmony rather than accurate? i understand that better bass or cleaner highs doesnt equate to iems being musical. right now my only other option is either tin t4 or moondrop starfield.

I'm getting out of topic here. I am very sorry.
Starfield are solid but fit isn't for e everyone. The shells are a little hard.

olivier salad

That's normal as it uses more power. Hopefully a proper firmware update for S8/S HD Pro (and S BHD if already not included) will follow soon with inclusion of Cirrus Logic CS43131 roll over fix.
https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/快讯-目前绝大部分cs43131芯片的小以巴都有bug/
So far TempoTec had deacent track record regarding drivers/firmware updates.
Really? They still didn't fix clicks and pops on both Windows and Android and I doubt they would bother to fix this issue

Steeveep

How are people that are using this with UAPP changing the volume? With the physical buttons and on screen hardware slider the jumps in volume are quite high

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How are people using this with UAPP changing the volume? With the physical buttons and on screen hardware slider the jumps in volume are quite high
In Uapp settings turn on use phone rocker buttons and set to 100 steps.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's my usual settings. The phone volume buttons still control the hardware volume slider with the same jumps in volume
Odd. I get quite fine movements in volume. The dac physical buttons are useless though.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you got it set to hardware volume control or software in volume settings? The volume slider in UAPP I mean

Hardware all the way.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And the hardware slider gives you fine adjustments? I get 100 steps but the volume jumps every 6 or 7 clicks. Same when I move it manually with my finger
We may be at cross purposes. The volume control using phone buttons in Uapp is audibly finer than the buttons on the dac. I tend to set everything to max, drop the device button down one notch then fine tune volume using uapp and phone buttons.

Steeveep

We may be at cross purposes. The volume control using phone buttons in Uapp is audibly finer than the buttons on the dac. I tend to set everything to max, drop the device button down one notch then fine tune volume using uapp and phone buttons.
But does the phone buttons affect the volume on each click for you or every 6 or so?

Top Bottom