• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
hi im new here. maybe this question have been asked here but theres 55 pages to scroll.

have anyone tested this with tin p1? i already have sonata hd pro but really interested in owning a planar iem.

I have not. But you can plug their sensitivity and impedance into this headphone amp calculator

https://www.headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/

You can leave the volume on 110db, as that leaves a lot of headroom for dynamic peaks with a reasonable listening volume.

hxsm

I have not. But you can plug their sensitivity and impedance into this headphone amp calculator

https://www.headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/

You can leave the volume on 110db, as that leaves a lot of headroom for dynamic peaks with a reasonable listening volume.
Thank you for the reply.

Problem is that it can drive to a loud volume. But most says if more power is loaded to the p1, the sound become spacious and sparkly signature-wise.

Was wondering if it can drive it above the volume to that spacious point.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
hi im new here. maybe this question have been asked here but theres 55 pages to scroll.

have anyone tested this with tin p1? i already have sonata hd pro but really interested in owning a planar iem.

I will give it a go today for you. I suspect without EQ it will be fine but after taking several dB off for EQ it might struggle powered from my phone.

Jet Black

Hello,
I have Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus and Fiio FH7 IEMs. I don't did any measurements but I found the sound from my Galaxy not so bad.
I have some questions:
1. Will HIDIZS S8 beat audio quality of Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus?
2. Which portable DAC is really good?
I ask the questions because I allready bought Ibasso DC03 and I was not Impressed with the quality of the audio. In my opinion sound from my Galaxy mach better than sound from Ibasso DC03.

Thanks.
I doubt the dac on the galaxy s20 or s21 would be better than the ibasso dc03. You probably can't hear the quality difference between the two. Ibasso dc03 is one of the best performing dacs of 2020 and I doubt if you could find any other dongle dacs that is better or you probably won't hear the quality again.

pk500

The TempoTec Sonata HD Pro is the exact same unit as the HIDIZS, at half the price. It measures as well or better than any DAC/amp dongle, and it's $45 for the USB-C version and $60 for the iOS version.

I have one, and it's fantastic. Neutral, clean sound for days, and up to 2 volts output in high-gain mode.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt the dac on the galaxy s20 or s21 would be better than the ibasso dc03. You probably can't hear the quality difference between the two. Ibasso dc03 is one of the best performing dacs of 2020 and I doubt if you could find any other dongle dacs that is better or you probably won't hear the quality again.
I havent seen any measurements of the DC03- got a link?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes, it can power the p1. You may have to "trick" it into high gain mode first (plus an empty 3.5mm extension / blank plug in when connecting to phone, then plug headphones into extension. Plenty of volume on the p1 even when some 3-6db of pre amp reduction for EQ.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the reply.

Problem is that it can drive to a loud volume. But most says if more power is loaded to the p1, the sound become spacious and sparkly signature-wise.

Was wondering if it can drive it above the volume to that spacious point.

If a headphone amp can drive your headphones to your preferred listening volume without distorting dynamic peaks, then additional headphone amp power isn't going to accomplish anything.

So how much power did the headphone amp calculator say you need to reach 110 DB for dynamic peaks?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

pk500

The Sonata HD Pro can be had for silly money at the minute- too good to turn down at $35-40

Agree. Might be the best pound-for-pound deal in headphone land. I'm amazed almost daily by the abilities of my TempoTec Sonata HD Pro.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree. Might be the best pound-for-pound deal in headphone land. I'm amazed almost daily by the abilities of my TempoTec Sonata HD Pro.
Disclaimer. First unit bit the dust after a year or so. Updated firmware, got v hot in use after, then died. Unit 2 doing fine.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Yes, it can power the p1. You may have to "trick" it into high gain mode first (plus an empty 3.5mm extension / blank plug in when connecting to phone, then plug headphones into extension. Plenty of volume on the p1 even when some 3-6db of pre amp reduction for EQ.
Don't shot the messenger but I heard flashing latest S BHD firmware on S HD Pro removes the need for adapter use. This needs more locking in to so please sniff around more and confirm it multiple times before flashing anything please!

Edit: until this is firmly confirmed from multiple sources I beg of you please don't do it as you could end with bricked units beyond repair (stuck corupted EPROM)!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tem...und-small-size-affordable-price.934007/page-5

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't shot the messenger but I heard flashing latest S BHD firmware on S HD Pro removes the need for adapter use. This needs more locking in to so please sniff around more and confirm it multiple times before flashing anything please!

Edit: until this is firmly confirmed from multiple sources I beg of you please don't do it as you could end with bricked units beyond repair (stuck corupted EPROM)!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tem...und-small-size-affordable-price.934007/page-5
I only ever use it into the car stereo which is high impedance anyway so I'll pass on that one!

pk500

Thanks. Yeah, I saw that trick, too, and it scares me. Flashing correct firmware on cheap Chinese units like this can be enough of an adventure. But flashing with firmware designed for balanced on an unbalanced unit is just asking for trouble or a fried unit, if you ask me.

I know the Sonata HD Pro borders on disposable at $40/$60, but plugging in a 3.5 male-to-3.5 female adapter to the Sonata to trick it into high gain is an easy, two-second solution that cost me a whopping $6. The Sonata HD Pro is such a neat little dongle that the tiny extra hassle is worth it.

Plus I really only need high gain for my HiFiMan HE-400se's and Sennheiser HD 560s's. My Meze 99 Classics and Moondrop Starfields are powered just fine with low gain.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@pk500 well fixing a stuck EPROM is quite a work and hassle even with devices where you actually can pull it out and put it to programmator. Did that on PC's MB's. I am certain they used same EPROM chip on both but as said don't try it until its fully confirmed multiple times.

Last edited:

pk500

@pk500 well fixing a stuck EPROM is quite a work and hassle even with devices where you actually can pull it out and put it to programmator. Did that on PC's MB's. I am certain they used same EPROM chip on both but as said down try it until its fully confirmed multiple times.

That's all Greek to me, man. :)

But I think I get your drift: Back off on flashing the unbalanced HIDIZS or TempoTec Sonata HD Pro with balanced firmware until we get a wider sample size of success. :)

Appreciate your expertise and experience. Thanks.

Veri

Master Contributor
Is the phase issue noticeable in terms of sound quality? As I never flashed my dc03 yet but so far i haven't seen (or heard) any problem when using it so far...
Probably not :p most people can't hear phase issues at all. "some" golden eared people can, though.

jkljklsdfsdf

I flashed the BHD firmware on my Sonata HD Pro and after hours of usage I had no problems whatsoever, it did really made the sound so much louder (2x louder more or less) but I reverted back to stock v3.0 firmware since the device gets noticeably hotter with the BHD firmware.

Top Bottom