• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hegel H95 Review (Streaming Amplifier)

F1308

Major Contributor
If people like Hegel then it means people prefer the sound of distortion.

...and then they can even announce great savings by having spared the pedal effects !!!

zeppzeppzepp

Nominal line level is -10dBV or 0.316V RMS. To their defense, they didn't write pre out.

unfortunately -10 dBV is not a standard in the hifi world, every brand has their own specs to get you in trouble when connecting devices.
maybe a good business strategy, lol

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For $2000 amp is this ok ? Benchmark ahb2 is only 1.5 times of this and much more powerful best measured amp on Earth !
Performance is average, with a healthy peak power, consistent distortion throughout the frequency. It is ok by itself. Of course factoring in price an NCore MP runs circles around it for a fraction of the price, so the H95 is not a good value (performance per price).

An NC502MP + Topping EX5 DAC+headamp is a lot better deal.

Last edited:

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For $2000 amp is this ok ? Benchmark ahb2 is only 1.5 times of this and much more powerful best measured amp on Earth !
Yes, and while the Yamaha WXA-50 is aging and doesn't have the same # of inputs, it performs the same or better, the Musicast app is reliable and is less that US$500.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m sure @Matias meant the narrow performance rather than the overall value for money, which is obviously not great. BTW as good as the AHB2 is it would likely be indistinguishable from the Hegel under controlled conditions.

zeppzeppzepp

Performance is average, with healthy peak power, consistent distortion throughout the frequency. It is ok by itself. Of course factoring in price an NCore MP runs circles around it for a fraction of the price, so the H95 is not a good value (performance per price).

An NC502MP + Topping DAC is a lot better deal.
an outside question, anybody know if the distortion being changed after the DAC signal going into the preamp section of an amplifier?
Any chance to connect 2 good measured devices to become a distorted system?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
...and then they can even announce great savings by having spared the pedal effects !!!
The DAC is the big issue, the amplifier itself is just average. Not worth the money, but it most likely wont show audible distortion.

Geert

Major Contributor
The CD players had been around for 40 years. Why should anyone expect to find levels pre-dating CD on a modern amplifier?
Because there's no new standard defined? Looks like Hegel didn't pay much attention to this output, and customers are taken by surprise because the product specifications don't mention the reference level.

Geert

Major Contributor
unfortunately -10 dBV is not a standard in the hifi world, every brand has their own specs
It used to be a standard. Unfortunately there's only chaos now, so the smart thing to do is to use the old -10 dbV reference and add the 12 dB or 18 dB that was foreseen for digital headroom. (A guideline that was respected for about 24 hours, until the first sound engineer found out you can drive the format a lot harder without to much consequences).

Geert

Major Contributor
I’m sure @MatiasBTW as good as the AHB2 is it would likely be indistinguishable from the Hegel under controlled conditions.
Actualy most audiophiles will tell you the Hegel is a lot better. Benchmark is made by a pro audio gear company, people who only measure but don't listen you know ;)

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
Reminds me of a line from the movie Apollo 13 right after the accident: "Whattaya got on the spacecraft that's good?"

Geert

Major Contributor
Coming back to Hegel, I think they have a (much cheaper) chinese clone which looks exactly the same (internal and external), without the "sound engine" blue chips... But can't find it anymore... I wonder how it measures.
The Opera Consonance A100. Opera (used to?) build the Hegel amps.

Lambda

Major Contributor
I wonder why we see so many reviews of Boutique expensive snake oil products?
They are almost universally bad and this is not even surprising.
Why not Focus on cheaper consumer or professional products.

If a "transparent" >120dB SINAD DAC can be bout for example can be bougt for <200€ hat is the Point to review 2000$ DAC
To the ear it cant be better if the 200€ DAC is already perfectly transparent.
It can only measure better. And if they want to convince someone to spend 10x the price for better measurements it schuld be on them to provide this information.
After this this clams can be tested.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Actualy most audiophiles will tell you the Hegel is a lot better. Benchmark is made by a pro audio gear company, people who only measure but don't listen you know ;)
I know you are joking but actually Benchmark conducts many listening tests along with all the state of the art measurements.

CoryGillmore

I was strongly considering this very amp in the last two months. But ended up with the Audiolab 6000a Play. Has Amir done the 6000a or Play model in the past? Hmm off to the search bar I go.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Amir's data looks terrible. However, I wonder how so many reviewers can be wrong. Are the described distortions even audible...?
Reviewers are often swayed by the industry and $ and marketing just like everyone is to at least some degree... and fact that amps dont vary the sound all that much leaves a lot of room for the imagination to run wild.
I am sure it sounds fine.

Plus some reviewers are straight up industry players who are paid well to help promote products. Even if only by being influential on YouTube, one can make a living.

You'd have to ABX against the Benchmark and see how often you get "X" correct. And which sound you prefer if different.

Top Bottom