• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec S360 Review (Studio Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 113 35.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 188 59.7%

• Total voters

Axo1989

Major Contributor
They should do it, on the condition he dresses up as the pink panther and sits on top of it.

Video review then?

PeteL

Major Contributor
I'd rather see him review the W371A tbh. It does interesting things other than just play even more super loud than the S360, which is pretty much all the main monitors do.
Playing super loud is all what this do. Not main flagship studio monitors.

1659565807638.png

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I'd rather see him review the W371A tbh. It does interesting things other than just play even more super loud than the S360, which is pretty much all the main monitors do.

That would be interesting. More complex to review its various modes working an a room than just a routine spin though. Not to mention all that whinging about the weight. :cool:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Room size is about 15sqm
Im guessing distance is 1.5m-3m(not sure)
If you don't want to get some subwoofers a pair of the Ones 8331-8361 (depending on listening distance and budget).
I agree though that you usually can get a better result especially in the bass region with a well integrated sub+sat monitor system.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Good grief... It is 134 pounds!!! You all have no mercy for my back. Or my marriage as I am sure my wife will leave me if I ask her for help.....

Assuming I got one, are you all OK with the kind of testing I perform on speakers? Sub-specific tests of SPLs is not something I am setup to do or believe in.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Playing super loud is all what this do. Not main flagship studio monitors.
??? posting a random image doesn't really help your point at all. The Genelec main monitors don't do anything magic, they're just really really big 3-ways. The directivity is significantly worse than the S360 based on Genelec's own measurements and the LF directivity is also worse than the W371A.

So yes, play super loud IS all they do compared to the more advanced, smaller Genelec speakers. That doesn't make them useless, if you have a commercial theater sized room they make a lot of sense. But they aren't doing anything technologically interesting, IMO.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good grief... It is 134 pounds!!! You all have no mercy for my back. Or my marriage as I am sure my wife will leave me if I ask her for help.....

Assuming I got one, are you all OK with the kind of testing I perform on speakers? Sub-specific tests of SPLs is not something I am setup to do or believe in.
To me, what is interesting to test about the W371A is the low frequency directivity and null steering capabilities. The SPL output is not that important, so I don't see any need for extra SPL tests. 106dB is plenty.

It would be cool to get 2 spins, one in a Null Steering mode and 1 in the Directive or Complementary modes, but hey, beggars can't be choosers :)

1659567097235.png

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
??? posting a random image doesn't really help your point at all. The Genelec main monitors don't do anything magic, they're just really really big 3-ways. The directivity is significantly worse than the S360 based on Genelec's own measurements and the LF directivity is also worse than the W371A.

So yes, play super loud IS all they do compared to the more advanced, smaller Genelec speakers. That doesn't make them useless, if you have a commercial theater sized room they make a lot of sense. But they aren't doing anything technologically interesting, IMO.
What do you think of 8361 vs 1237?

Axo1989

Major Contributor
To me, what is interesting to test about the W371A is the low frequency directivity and null steering capabilities. The SPL output is not that important, so I don't see any need for extra SPL tests. 106dB is plenty.

It would be cool to get 2 spins, one in a Null Steering mode and 1 in the Directive or Complementary modes, but hey, beggars can't be choosers :)

View attachment 222222

Great that ASR is considering it. As a fair bit of the pain is getting the somewhat massive unit onto the Klippel, running a spin for each mode makes total sense (to me at least). SPL is interesting but I won't be complaining if that's not part of the test.

Thinking of marriage and life expectancy, if there isn't a volunteer ASR speaker lifting squad extant, maybe time to form one. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

View attachment 222222
I much rather run dual scans this way than classic sub tests. I have boatload of speakers here currently. Let me get through them and then think about getting one of these to test.

PeteL

Major Contributor

I get that it's not so interesting in term of what we can get from measuring them here. It was a joke, There are really crappy speakers that play very loud. I mean in term of the listening experience. I haven't heard these specific Genelec mains, But other good studio mains equipped with large woofer and super high SPL, and sorry but it's still very good sound and involving in a way that bookshelves don't do. I am sure you have ever experienced a loud good sounding concert or even great sounding nightclub. Good sound is good sound. sometime we don't need that perfect directivity graphs to really appreciate and hear the music with a new energy to it. My point was that you made it look like they where crappy speakers. They are obviously not, they are Genelecs, they've put money and engineering to deliver.

changster

I don't agree 106db is enough for the sub bass. When you tune to a target curve, depending on taste 20hz should be able to play 6-8db higher than 200hz. So if your benchmark is 106db for midwoofers then the sub should be able to play ~115db at 20hz. But of course if your benchmark is lower SPL levels for the midwoofer than the sub benchmark can be lower as well.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't agree 106db is enough for the sub bass. When you tune to a target curve, depending on taste 20hz should be able to play 6-8db higher than 200hz. So if your benchmark is 106db for midwoofers then the sub should be able to play ~115db at 20hz. But of course if your benchmark is lower SPL levels for the midwoofer than the sub benchmark can be lower as well.

But this isn't a theoretical argument about what's enough. It's about what is worth testing. Testing very high SPLs is a pain. If you want to know how loud the W371A can comfortably play, the specs have the answer: "Maximum short term sine wave SPL output averaged 30 Hz to 100 Hz, measured in half space at 1 meter: 117dB", and 120dB for 100-500hz. With those tests and the more detailed review testing of the 8361A/8351B it's pretty straightforward to calculate the expected output capability.

Testing would add very little real data other than another confirmation that Genelec cares about accuracy. So to have Amir go out of his way to test higher SPLs has very little return on any additional work.

They're also not a subwoofer. They're more of a mid-bass module with special directivity control, as they can cross as high as 250hz. Studio customers who need extreme sub-bass SPL do still add subwoofer(s) as needed.

Last edited:

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nice, but for this price why shouldn't I just go for their coaxial speakers who have most of those issues fixed? The 8361 for a grand more is probably the best speaker in this size you can currently get.

PeteL

Major Contributor
But this isn't a theoretical argument about what's enough. It's about what is worth testing. Testing very high SPLs is a pain. If you want to know how loud the W371A can comfortably play, the specs have the answer: "Maximum short term sine wave SPL output averaged 30 Hz to 100 Hz, measured in half space at 1 meter: 117dB", and 120dB for 100-500hz. With those tests and the more detailed review testing of the 8361A/8351B it's pretty straightforward to calculate the expected output capability.

Testing would add very little real data other than another confirmation that Genelec cares about accuracy. So to have Amir go out of his way to test higher SPLs has very little return on any additional work.

They're also not a subwoofer. They're more of a mid-bass module with special directivity control, as they can cross as high as 250hz. Studio customers who need extreme sub-bass SPL do still add subwoofer(s) as needed.
Again, I get that... It's a joke... Amir won't test that... It's not for the average folk anyway nor it is for the most hardcore audiophile. Take my comment for what it is. I am sure they are good sounding speakers, and I'd like to hear them.

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I much rather run dual scans this way than classic sub tests. I have boatload of speakers here currently. Let me get through them and then think about getting one of these to test.

I would love to get more tests for this one. I hear a lot of differences between each mode.

What would be interesting is to see the effect of each mode in your room and to have your subjective opinion. The anechoic spins should show a different DI for each mode. The strength of the speaker is in the adaptability not really in high SPL or having a stand for the One.

Distorsion graphs with a 8351B on top would give an idea on how much more SPL you can get. If you treat it as a subwoofer, then testing is not too interesting. I agree that the weight is an issue.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Again, I get that... It's a joke... Amir won't test that... It's not for the average folk anyway nor it is for the most hardcore audiophile. Take my comment for what it is. I am sure they are good sounding speakers, and I'd like to hear them.

We'll I'm totally hoping ASR does test W371A. But max SPL isn't the most interesting part.

Vovgan

Forum Donor
Good grief... It is 134 pounds!!!

… and for this weight it only goes down to 23 Hz at -6 dB! What is this… Where is the fun for the movies? Would love to see you test an SVS ported sub like PB 2000 pro instead (the ones I have). Thank you.

Top Bottom