• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 4.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 640 94.3%

• Total voters

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Anyone has pictures of a 5.1 with these babies?
Morten_Lindberg_PR_Image_1 (1).jpg
unnamed (10).jpg
square7-1024x1024.jpg
EyI82cxWgAM2tuO (2).jpeg
14_MORTEN_L__Genelec (1).jpeg

Keith_W

Major Contributor

I looked at that picture and thought to myself "that is crazy, why would you flip a speaker on its side like that". Most speakers have much worse vertical dispersion compared to horizontal. So I decided to check: Spinorama here.

I had to eat that thought. The vertical directivity is very nearly as good as horizontal. You only lose a tiny bit of performance, and even then it is superior to the horizontal directivity of most speakers. Amazing.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I looked at that picture and thought to myself "that is crazy, why would you flip a speaker on its side like that". Most speakers have much worse vertical dispersion compared to horizontal. So I decided to check: Spinorama here.

I had to eat that thought. The vertical directivity is very nearly as good as horizontal. You only lose a tiny bit of performance, and even then it is superior to the horizontal directivity of most speakers. Amazing.
Pretty neat what Coax speakers can do! You don't even have to pay that much.

Even KEF's budget Q series has very similar characteristics in that regard:
Screenshot_20240127-091307_Chrome.png Screenshot_20240127-091239_Chrome.png Screenshot_20240127-091215_Chrome.png Screenshot_20240127-091609_Chrome.png
Though not quite as well controlled, still equally as good in both axes.

Last edited:

Olius

Anyone has pictures of a 5.1 with these babies?

Yes, @jhenderson0107 posted some on page 85:

laurelkurt

Forum Donor
Here's my Genelec home theater setup. 8361As front and rear, 8351As on the sides, six Triad golds overhead for Atmos, three RS1 subs. Following the most recent MSO and room optimization efforts I am finally obtaining good, coherent sound.

Nothing goes according to plan. Thinking I'd build passive surround speakers, I previously hard-wired speaker cable to each speaker location. Then I purchased the 8351's for my office and liked them. I bought an 8361 to replace my home theater center channel and liked it too. So, I decided to run Genelecs all around which necessitated running two shielded CAT6 under the carpets to route differential signals to each speaker zone.
What are you using to cover that table? It looks to be fairly thick.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Here's my Genelec home theater setup. 8361As front and rear, 8351As on the sides, six Triad golds overhead for Atmos, three RS1 subs. Following the most recent MSO and room optimization efforts I am finally obtaining good, coherent sound.

Nothing goes according to plan. Thinking I'd build passive surround speakers, I previously hard-wired speaker cable to each speaker location. Then I purchased the 8351's for my office and liked them. I bought an 8361 to replace my home theater center channel and liked it too. So, I decided to run Genelecs all around which necessitated running two shielded CAT6 under the carpets to route differential signals to each speaker zone.
Sweet setup! Hopefully they have you some discounts for all the Genelec speakers!

Descartes

Major Contributor

Axo1989

Major Contributor

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Omg it's beautiful. Are those custom black painted? Looks far darker than the boring genelec grey.

Most of the Genelec speakers are available in grey, black or white as standard.

Is there really any actual need for having a studio this overpowered or is it just a mastering studio having to make expenses for tax benefits? :D

Top Bottom